PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5e I want an helmet but don't know what to get.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 12:05 PM
I have a ninja/rouge/Master Thrower 3/4/2 and like 100,000 gp with no use and I don't know what to buy.

I need it to work with golden vizor and to be from a 3.5 book.

I will be very happy if some one will the time to help a new player with little time to work on is PC :)

and pls give me the book name and the page for the helmet.

Recurver
2016-12-14, 12:48 PM
Hat of disguise Page 258 of the Dungeon Masters Guide
Helm of teleportation page 259 of the Dungeon masters guide

Two good helms that help in almost any situation.

Inevitability
2016-12-14, 12:57 PM
What do you mean with 'golden vizor'? Should the helm have a golden visor? Because that's just fluff.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 01:09 PM
Hat of disguise Page 258 of the Dungeon Masters Guide
Helm of teleportation page 259 of the Dungeon masters guide

Two good helms that help in almost any situation.

I have a ring of dimensional door and the spell guys have
some spells to move the party around.

I was thinking about the hat of disguise but I have a curse that changed my look and I don't want to change it again(RP stuff).

I need to make a list of what I have but I can't get to my lists in 20 hours so I will add it later.

btw, is there any way for me to communicate with the pary from a distance without destroying my Hide or to use crowd control or to make a flanking buddy?

What do you mean with 'golden vizor'? Should the helm have a golden visor? Because that's just fluff.

I mean the darkvision, aura, blindsight thing that you can add to helmets.

I have it and want to connect it to a helmet and want the helmet to be of use to me.

Recurver
2016-12-14, 01:47 PM
I mean the darkvision, aura, blindsight thing that you can add to helmets.

I have it and want to connect it to a helmet and want the helmet to be of use to me.

This sounds like a custom item to your world. Happens all the time, Just have to check with your DM to make sure they intended the visor to attach to any helm or a specific one.

Helm of Telepathy Page 259 of the DMG can communicate with your group at a long range.

As far as getting a magic item for a flanking buddy you could actually afford a construct for that. I recommend an Adamantine Spider (DotU 106) Drow of the underdark. it's cheap and great for a distraction.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 01:57 PM
This sounds like a custom item to your world. Happens all the time, Just have to check with your DM to make sure they intended the visor to attach to any helm or a specific one.

Helm of Telepathy Page 259 of the DMG can communicate with your group at a long range.

As far as getting a magic item for a flanking buddy you could actually afford a construct for that. I recommend an Adamantine Spider (DotU 106) Drow of the underdark. it's cheap and great for a distraction.

it is in dragon magic page 101
and thank you for the help.

BTW, will the helm of telepathy allow me to communicate with a party member that have a defend vs magical tracking and finding and mind reading on him?

GOLDEN VISOR
When worn as part of a helm, this item grants its wearer keen
senses similar to those of a dragon, as well as a menacing aura
to keep foes at bay.
Description: This gold dragon scale is edged in steel and
pierced with viewing slits, looking very much like the visor
of a helmet.
Activation: A golden visor must be attached to a helm to
function, occupying space on the body as goggles or lenses.
While the helm is worm, its darkvision and low-light vision
effects function continuously, and the wearer can activate
blindsense and the aura of menace each once per day as a
standard action. The wearer receives mental instructions in
Draconic on the effects of the item and how to activate it.Effect: The wearer of a helm fi tted with a golden visor
gains darkvision out to 60 feet and a dragon’s low-light vision
(seeing four times as well as a human in low-light condi-
tions). Once per day, the visor also grants blindsense out to
30 feet.
In addition, the wearer can generate an aura of menace
once per day. An enemy with fewer Hit Dice than the wearer
who tries to approach within 20 feet of him must succeed on
a DC 20 Will save or be unable to approach for 1 round. If
the wearer moves closer to an affected creature, the effect is
broken for that creature, and it gains immunity to the aura
for 24 hours.
Aura/Caster Level: Moderate divination and enchant-
ment; CL 11th.
Construction: Craft Wondrous Item, clairaudience/clair-
voyance, darkvision, invisibility purge, repulsion, 12,000 gp, 960
XP, 24 days.
Weight: 1 lb.
Price: 24,000 gp.

Recurver
2016-12-14, 02:15 PM
it is in dragon magic page 101
and thank you for the help.

BTW, will the helm of telepathy allow me to communicate with a party member that have a defend vs magical tracking and finding and mind reading on him?

Re-read the description, and no, you can't communicate telepathically using that item unless you are detecting their surface thoughts. ignore the helmet recommendation it does not help with long range communication.

Sending stones from Magic item compendium would be better and cheaper for long range communication, and should get past the immunity to mind effecting effects as it is harmless.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 02:24 PM
Re-read the description, and no, you can't communicate telepathically using that item unless you are detecting their surface thoughts. ignore the helmet recommendation it does not help with long range communication.

Sending stones from Magic item compendium would be better and cheaper for long range communication, and should get past the immunity to mind effecting effects as it is harmless.

thank, I still don't have any helmet :(

I am sorry to trouble you but I am new and don't have time(I am in an army) and really appreciate your help(I can't stop laughing, you help me with all but the post purpose :) )

Recurver
2016-12-14, 02:31 PM
thank, I still don't have any helmet :(

I am sorry to trouble you but I am new and don't have time(I am in an army) and really appreciate your help(I can't stop laughing, you help me with all but the post purpose :) )

Helm of glorious recovery page 111 of the magic item compendium. a decent item for a fairly cheap price. It Heals you for a very sizable amount

"This magnifi cent helmet is chased with gold
and silver, and set with three yellow topazes.
Developed by a militant, lawful good sect
for its paladins, these helmets are potent
healing devices. Once per day, this helmet
can heal you of 4d8+7 points of damage.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, cure
critical wounds."

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 02:41 PM
Helm of glorious recovery page 111 of the magic item compendium. a decent item for a fairly cheap price. It Heals you for a very sizable amount

"This magnifi cent helmet is chased with gold
and silver, and set with three yellow topazes.
Developed by a militant, lawful good sect
for its paladins, these helmets are potent
healing devices. Once per day, this helmet
can heal you of 4d8+7 points of damage.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, cure
critical wounds."

that's nice, but I was hurt only one time in the game(the enemy can't see my) and we have healing in the party. My PC will see it as useless item and will not agree to use it(role-playing is very important in the game I am in).

Recurver
2016-12-14, 02:51 PM
that's nice, but I was hurt only one time in the game(the enemy can't see my) and we have healing in the party. My PC will see it as useless item and will not agree to use it(role-playing is very important in the game I am in).

Sadly there are not very many items that are actually "helms" that take up the head slot.
My original suggestions then seem the best, ask if the visor can attach to a hat of disguise in the form of a helmet or attach it to the helm of teleportation. Teleportation is very VERY nice to have.
hope i was able to help, heading for work so that's probably it from me.:smallbiggrin:

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 02:56 PM
Sadly there are not very many items that are actually "helms" that take up the head slot.
My original suggestions then seem the best, ask if the visor can attach to a hat of disguise in the form of a helmet or attach it to the helm of teleportation. Teleportation is very VERY nice to have.
hope i was able to help, heading for work so that's probably it from me.:smallbiggrin:

thank you, you did help me a lot.

to anyone else, I still need help with finding an helmet.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-12-14, 04:14 PM
Regular helmets are part of armour. Buy yourself a suit of half-plate and attach the visor. You can also use a few leather straps to wear the visor without helmet.

If you want a magic item: a horned helmet can get you an extra secondary melee attack for 8000 gp. Not bad at all.

icefractal
2016-12-14, 04:52 PM
From the List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items):
Blurring armor enhancement (MIC). +1 armor enhancement cost (put it on armor that includes a helmet). Three times per day, blur effect (as the spell) for 5 rounds. Swift action activation.
Greater Blurring armor enhancement (MIC). +3 total armor enhancement cost. Blur effect (as the spell) for 10 minutes per activation, and there is no limit on the number of activations per day.
Helm of Righteous War (CChamp) 5000 gp, head slot. +2 insight bonus to initiative, and secondary bonuses.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-14, 06:19 PM
Regular helmets are part of armour. Buy yourself a suit of half-plate and attach the visor. You can also use a few leather straps to wear the visor without helmet.

If you want a magic item: a horned helmet can get you an extra secondary melee attack for 8000 gp. Not bad at all.
I have a very good armour and as a Master Thrower I don't really use melee(I slap a guy ones in this game).

From the List of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items):
Blurring armor enhancement (MIC). +1 armor enhancement cost (put it on armor that includes a helmet). Three times per day, blur effect (as the spell) for 5 rounds. Swift action activation.
Greater Blurring armor enhancement (MIC). +3 total armor enhancement cost. Blur effect (as the spell) for 10 minutes per activation, and there is no limit on the number of activations per day.
Helm of Righteous War (CChamp) 5000 gp, head slot. +2 insight bonus to initiative, and secondary bonuses.
I don't need more initiative(I have 32 dex for now) and what I found in the list was the 200800 gp Cowl of Warding and I have only 100,000 gp.

bte, tnx for the list

Vaz
2016-12-14, 10:13 PM
For 1.5x cost, you can have a slotless item. Have a word with your DM and ask if you can go maybe cost and a quarter head slot for another item.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-15, 02:21 AM
For 1.5x cost, you can have a slotless item. Have a word with your DM and ask if you can go maybe cost and a quarter head slot for another item.

a custom head item will cost only 1x, I won't pay more for no reason.