PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The perfect supreme ruler of the world

Jowgen
2016-12-14, 03:53 PM
How would you optimize a character whose sole purpose was not to battle mighty foes, but to gain and maintain unshakeable rulership of the entire world?

Sure, your average diplomancer can get a sizeable following (of fanatics, if that option is in play), but reaching and maintaining the loyalty of millions is a good few stacks above that.

There is no particular point to all this, I'm just curious.

Inevitability
2016-12-14, 04:26 PM
Telepath 9/Psion Uncarnate 6/Exemplar 5.

Genius Loci (ELH 190) have no set size limit, and their description claims they may be as large as moons or even planes.

An Exemplar can diplomance all creatures within 30 feet into submission.

Simply find a genius loci larger than whatever planet the campaign takes place on, boost your manifester level to 70, take the loci's form with Mind Switch, use Shed Body to turn incorporeal, move so that you're covering the entire planet with your form, then make a heavily boosted check in whatever skill you fancy (I recommend something strength-based) and turn everyone within 30 feet (the entire world) fanatic. Plane Shift to somewhere secure to safely abandon your giant, angry oozebody.

LordOfCain
2016-12-14, 04:27 PM
Hm... Pun Pun I mean... a thrallherd? Maybe with some of these (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/79962/how-to-achieve-highest-possible-charisma-at-20th-level). Or... of course, you could just spam reincarnate after growing old...

John Longarrow
2016-12-14, 04:48 PM
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Profession, Sense Motive.

Profession gets lots of useful abilities for world leader, such as economics, law, and administration.

Guy's gotta RUN the world if he's the leader. Knowing how to do it is much more important that how they came to rule.

Red Fel
2016-12-14, 08:13 PM
http://st-listas.20minutos.es/images/2015-12/405219/4859916_249px.jpg

Hiiiiii.

It's quote time!

I like the simple methods. The simple methods are the best. Let me give you an example - a Warblade. Strength, Intelligence, and unexpectedly, Charisma. Warblade 20. Keep it simple. Let's keep Lawful Evil, you'll see why.

Why Charisma, I would hear you ask if you weren't on the other side of the internets. I will tell you. Have you ever read the fluff about Warblades in ToB? Go read it. I'll wait.

Welcome back. As you read, Warblades crave glory and recognition. They do flashy sword-stuff because they want people to see them doing flashy sword-stuff. They want to be loved. Charisma means that you not only get to be an awesome swordsman, but that people will adore you for it.

Our Warblade, however, doesn't want love. He wants mindless worship. So step one, start a war.

It's not hard. Start by going into the woods near Home Village, throwing some rocks and ticking off the otherwise peaceful (if savage) orc neighbors. Lead a team of militia to repel the sudden and unexpected aggression of those green-skinned savages. Make sure that only a few of the militiamen survive. That way, they can tell everyone how brutal the battle was, and how epic you performed.

You're now the hero of Home Village. Help build up the village by laying claim to everything that belonged to the orcs. After all, they don't need it anymore. Home Village will prosper, with you at its helm. But you can't stay in Home Village all your life. Nothing ever happens there, apart from that one battle with the orcs.

So they all have to die.

Spread rumors about fantastic wealth being discovered in the orc village. Bandits will flock from all over the countryside to pillage Home. You'll kill most of them, of course, but the toll will be high - many villagers will be killed in the attacks. Hopefully almost all of them. With a heavy heart, you will volunteer to seek out the aid of the King in dealing with the bandit menace.

Now, if you've done your work right, you've made sure to leave survivors. Survivors among the orcs, the bandits, whomever. They have vendettas. They have rage. They have friends. They will come for you. Be in the capital when it happens.

Your deeds will likely have traveled to the capital by now. (After all, if you're around Level 5, you're already well above average.) The King will grant you audience, and you'll humbly plea on behalf of Home. Maybe he'll offer aid, maybe he won't. The important thing is not what happens in the meeting, but what happens after.

Be sure the attack happens someplace with bystanders. The marketplace, the tavern, maybe even the royal courtyard if you ticked off the right people. Make it a spectacular battle. Win, of course. The King will be both impressed with your prowess and infuriated that such an attack would dare occur in his capital. He'll practically demand you avenge this wrong. Naturally, his will is your command.

The rest is fairly straightforward stuff. Continue to impress the King with your exploits. Get promoted to General. Take the hand of the Princess. Have her killed and an enemy nation framed for it. Go to war to avenge her death. Become the sole heir. Have the King die, slowly, of a seemingly natural illness. Rise to power. Cover everything under heaven with the sword.

The people will love you. Or fear you. Or both. Enjoy your new planet.

Next question?

Jowgen
2016-12-14, 08:59 PM
Telepath 9/Psion Uncarnate 6/Exemplar 5.

Genius Loci (ELH 190) have no set size limit, and their description claims they may be as large as moons or even planes.

An Exemplar can diplomance all creatures within 30 feet into submission.

Simply find a genius loci larger than whatever planet the campaign takes place on, boost your manifester level to 70, take the loci's form with Mind Switch, use Shed Body to turn incorporeal, move so that you're covering the entire planet with your form, then make a heavily boosted check in whatever skill you fancy (I recommend something strength-based) and turn everyone within 30 feet (the entire world) fanatic. Plane Shift to somewhere secure to safely abandon your giant, angry oozebody.

Wow. A very go big or go home one this is. One issue I see with it, though, is the presence of force effects on the planet, which, no matter its size, would stop the incorporeal Genius Loci's body moving in that direction. Very epic idea though.

Hm... Pun Pun I mean... a thrallherd? Maybe with some of these (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/79962/how-to-achieve-highest-possible-charisma-at-20th-level). Or... of course, you could just spam reincarnate after growing old...

As it functions as Leadership in leadership, the number of Thrallherd followers has an upper limit, and in its case, Epic Leadership isn't there to boost that.

Diplomacy, Intimidate, Profession, Sense Motive.

Profession gets lots of useful abilities for world leader, such as economics, law, and administration.

Guy's gotta RUN the world if he's the leader. Knowing how to do it is much more important that how they came to rule.

I can see that you can't give the reigns to a complete moron, who has no idea what he's doing, regularly messes up on the political stage, straight up lacks the qualities anyone in a public office needs, and has a terrible haircut.

But beyond that, there are advisors a ruler can rely on for brainy work (as long as they're qualified and unquestionably loyal) and a complete global centralization of power will require a lot of bureaucracy regardless, meaning lots of people in lots of positions making decisions. No need for the big cheese to have all the answers. Think how Ainz relies on Albedo and Demiurge.

http://st-listas.20minutos.es/images/2015-12/405219/4859916_249px.jpg

Hiiiiii.

Every time you appear in a thread it brightens my day, Red Fel. :smallsmile:

I very much like your business model. Starting conflicts in secrets and resolving them to increase influence is most elegant.

Cirtona Pox
2016-12-14, 09:10 PM
Genesis can create a pocket plane that, if you kept on casting it for a few decades, would reach a kingdom sized plane of existence.

Sure it isn't a world but if you only bring people to it that are loyal to you/your cause then you can create an isolated cult of personality and (after several more decades) end up with several hundred thousand followers. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many people will worship somebody based entirely on the fact that they believe that the world was created for them.

Elves tend to work well with this model due to the massive time involved.

John Longarrow
2016-12-14, 10:44 PM
I can see that you can't give the reigns to a complete moron, who has no idea what he's doing, regularly messes up on the political stage, straight up lacks the qualities anyone in a public office needs, and has a terrible haircut.

But beyond that, there are advisors a ruler can rely on for brainy work (as long as they're qualified and unquestionably loyal) and a complete global centralization of power will require a lot of bureaucracy regardless, meaning lots of people in lots of positions making decisions. No need for the big cheese to have all the answers. Think how Ainz relies on Albedo and Demiurge.

The ruler has to be good enough at their skills to tell when the highly diplomatic and skilled advisers are giving them good advice VS bad advice. They also have to be able to tell when they are loyal or not, and much more important when they are competent.

If you don't have decent advisers and support staff your rule will be short. Too much bad advice taken = your not in charge any more. Hence the skills I'm bringing up.

Worst one is someone who doesn't really understand how economics and fiscal responsibility is trying to lead. That causes massive problems when the economy tanks or projects/programs are initiated that have costs far beyond the scope of their benefit.

Inevitability
2016-12-15, 01:50 AM
Wow. A very go big or go home one this is. One issue I see with it, though, is the presence of force effects on the planet, which, no matter its size, would stop the incorporeal Genius Loci's body moving in that direction. Very epic idea though.

Buy a skull talisman of Antimagic Field and crush it, suppressing all force effects long enough to move into position. Then, crush a skull talisman of Forceward, selectively suppressing all force effects while allowing you to buff yourself.

Make sure to remain perfectly still while diplomancing; not doing so will cause Forceward to collapse.

Manyasone
2016-12-15, 02:01 AM
Hmmm. Everybody floods with skills and levels... A Benevolent Dictator, probably a powerful, high intellectual Lawful Evil 'class' who rules even-handed through feat and worship. Kinda like Kyros in Tyranny. When a region decides to act up, you edict it (powerful spell, but with a way out) to show why you are at the top...
Anyway, that's how I see it

Jowgen
2016-12-15, 04:43 AM
Genesis can create a pocket plane that, if you kept on casting it for a few decades, would reach a kingdom sized plane of existence.

Well, if you consider a demiplane a world, then yes.

The ruler has to be good enough at their skills to tell when the highly diplomatic and skilled advisers are giving them good advice VS bad advice. They also have to be able to tell when they are loyal or not, and much more important when they are competent.

I do see your point, but I still think it's a low bar for a PC to clear. Mental stats higher than 10 are above average, and 5 ranks in a skill are enough to be considered an expert (at least according to the expert assitance rule).

Buy a skull talisman of Antimagic Field and crush it, suppressing all force effects long enough to move into position. Then, crush a skull talisman of Forceward, selectively suppressing all force effects while allowing you to buff yourself.

Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field, though. And considering that walls of force are available as stronghold walls, chances are there are plenty on any world with a decent civilization.

Hmmm. Everybody floods with skills and levels... A Benevolent Dictator, probably a powerful, high intellectual Lawful Evil 'class' who rules even-handed through feat and worship. Kinda like Kyros in Tyranny. When a region decides to act up, you edict it (powerful spell, but with a way out) to show why you are at the top...
Anyway, that's how I see it

This fits in well with Red Fel's business model.

Inevitability
2016-12-15, 05:57 AM
Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field, though. And considering that walls of force are available as stronghold walls, chances are there are plenty on any world with a decent civilization.

Fine, then boost Escape Artist to +119 (we need a ridiculously high skill anyway) and use it to pass through 'a wall of force or similar force effect', which should take care of all that stuff.

Melcar
2016-12-15, 06:15 AM
I would say, some kind of aristocrat with obscene amounts of charisma! 10 Aristocrat/ 10 exemplar perhaps...