PDA

View Full Version : Fey Soul

ChaosStar
2016-12-15, 12:13 AM
I was looking through the feat section of Bastards and Bloodlines and found this feat:

Fey Soul (General)
You have the soul of a muse, sustained by your own beauty and force of personality
Benefits: At every even level or Hit Die, you may gain bonus HP from your Charisma modifier instead of your Constitution modifier.

This sounds kind of good for Sorcerers, or anyone with better Charisma than Constitution and can't take Improved Toughness. What do you guys think?

inuyasha
2016-12-15, 12:17 AM
Oh boy. I love Bastards and Bloodlines, it really is one of my favorite third party books, but the feats in it do seem a little unbalanced sometimes, especially the Lost Traditions feat.

However, this one I think I'd honestly allow since I'm a pretty lenient DM. It allows frail, high Cha characters to gain hit points they'd be missing out on, and doesn't let them overshadow actual tanks, especially if you're playing 3.X where Sorcerers and Wizards have D4s for hit dice.

Jowgen
2016-12-15, 12:56 AM
It's decent compared to most feats.

There is an article from the fey feature articles that gives Cha to HP at first level only, so it's notably better than that. It is far less broken that Faerie Mysteries Initiate, which gives Int to HP each level.

I'd possibly consider it on a frontlining Max-Cha-Synergies character, provided the build wasn't feat starved as is.

Venger
2016-12-15, 01:36 AM
It's decent compared to most feats.

There is an article from the fey feature articles that gives Cha to HP at first level only, so it's notably better than that. It is far less broken that Faerie Mysteries Initiate, which gives Int to HP each level.

I'd possibly consider it on a frontlining Max-Cha-Synergies character, provided the build wasn't feat starved as is.

That's beauty's bounty. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) It's got pluses and minuses over FMI, namely that you get more hp every time your cha goes up, but damage and drain to your cha makes you lose health, so you'll want to shore that up one way or the other.

Good for low-op or E6 games.

Covent
2016-12-15, 01:07 PM
At first glance seems strong, but *shrug* I would probably allow it, see how it went and then if necessary talk to the player about it in my games.

Segev
2016-12-15, 04:10 PM
Considering that the late-3.5 toughness-replacement, Improved Toughness, was +2 hp/level, and that this feat is really comparable in power to that, I think it seems balanced.

Yes, it could be as much as a +8 hp/level shift, but it's more likely going to be closer to a +4 hp/level shift, and still relies on one stat being high. It doesn't even invalidate CN; your fort saves are still dependent on it. As are your Concentration checks.

ChaosStar
2016-12-15, 05:19 PM
Considering that the late-3.5 toughness-replacement, Improved Toughness, was +2 hp/level, and that this feat is really comparable in power to that, I think it seems balanced.

Yes, it could be as much as a +8 hp/level shift, but it's more likely going to be closer to a +4 hp/level shift, and still relies on one stat being high. It doesn't even invalidate CN; your fort saves are still dependent on it. As are your Concentration checks.

Unless it was changed later Improved Toughness was late 3.0 not 3.5 and granted +1 hp/level, and required you to have a base fortitude save of +2.

Segev
2016-12-15, 05:34 PM
Unless it was changed later Improved Toughness was late 3.0 not 3.5 and granted +1 hp/level, and required you to have a base fortitude save of +2.

You are correct; my bad.

I was thinking "simulated +2 Con's effects on hp," I think.

Thurbane
2016-12-15, 06:58 PM
I'd definitely allow this feat in my games before FMI.

Just wondering on the wording "instead of your Constitution modifier" - would it work for Undead or Constructs with no Constitution score?

inuyasha
2016-12-15, 08:03 PM
I'd definitely allow this feat in my games before FMI.

Just wondering on the wording "instead of your Constitution modifier" - would it work for Undead or Constructs with no Constitution score?

I don't think it would work for a couple reasons. The feat is called fey soul, and Constructs/Undead don't have either in the most technical sense. Also, since it says instead of, that makes me think a constitution score is required. But that's just my opinion.

Undead in Pathfinder already get their Charisma to HP at the cost of having a D8 hit die though. That's sort of cool, even if it makes zombies a little less resilient.

Venger
2016-12-15, 10:42 PM
I don't think it would work for a couple reasons. The feat is called fey soul, and Constructs/Undead don't have either in the most technical sense. Also, since it says instead of, that makes me think a constitution score is required. But that's just my opinion.

Undead in Pathfinder already get their Charisma to HP at the cost of having a D8 hit die though. That's sort of cool, even if it makes zombies a little less resilient.

some undead have (or are) souls.

there's no mechanical reason this doesn't work in 3.5. it's a good idea for necropolitans who lean on cha.