PDA

View Full Version : DnD5e: Wizard or Ranger?

StaleGoat
2016-12-15, 03:32 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I wanted to get people's opinion on wizard and ranger classes and which one was better. I just got out of a campaign with a barbarian and I loved it, but I think for the new game I need someone with a little distance.

I was originally going to make a tiefling wizard because, coming out of a barbarian, I realised I never really got to do anything out of combat (except insulting an ettin in Giant), and it seemed like something I could work with. But then my friend was talking about how much she loved ranger and how it was fun and I read up on it a bit more and it seems like a really fun kind of class to play. The wizard class is still super appealing and my DM says that ranger isn't a class he wants me to play, and he'd rather me be a wizard though.

I don't know a whole lot about them to make any decision, and they both seem like really cool ideas. Can you guys help me out?

RazorChain
2016-12-15, 07:43 AM
Best of both worlds! Multiclass? Arcane Sharpshooter?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-15, 08:19 AM
I'd go with Wizard, which it sounds like you find more appealing. I mean, you can go Ranger and take Ritual Caster (Wizard) and you can get elements of both worlds, if you really want, but...

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-12-17, 02:52 PM
Multiclass. Take the Unearthed Arcana ranger if possible and that Elf-only Wizard kit that lets you fight well. Bam, you are an Elf(TM)

MrStabby
2016-12-17, 05:05 PM
You might get a few more responses in the 5th ed forum but personally wizard was great fun.

Let us know what you see as being the fun part of ranger and we might point you to options.

For example if you say you like the idea of doing solid sustained damage at range supported by spells we might point you to the warlock.

Joe the Rat
2016-12-19, 12:29 PM
Wizard.
Still want to use swords? Elf Wizard. or multiclass with anything that uses swords. Fighter or Rogue is simplest.
Still want to be a decent outdoorsman? Outlander Background.

Yer golden.

Specter
2016-12-19, 10:50 PM
It depends.

Wizards can shine on many areas, but you'll need some specialization not to be too broad (evokers should blast, conjurers should control, etc. Out of combat you'll rely on the difficulties presented and your own creativity.

Rangers are skillguys (especially Stealth/Survival) and strikers, meaning they don't like to stand in the way of damage but they do great damage. If your DM focuses on the nasty sides of overland travel, every one will enjoy your company.

lonewulf
2016-12-19, 11:03 PM
Wizard.
Still want to use swords? Elf Wizard. or multiclass with anything that uses swords. Fighter or Rogue is simplest.
Still want to be a decent outdoorsman? Outlander Background.

Yer golden.

I was going to say almost this exact thing so....yeah.....do that. I dont think you will regret it.

Ogre Mage
2016-12-19, 11:48 PM
I hugely prefer wizard over ranger but I am extremely biased in favor of the spellcasting classes. Playing a druid might be a compromise between the two.

SharkForce
2016-12-20, 10:42 AM
depends on if you're using old ranger or new (UA) ranger.

old ranger, there's a fairly high chance you're going to have an unsatisfying experience whether you like rangers or not. new ranger, if you like rangers you'll probably enjoy it, if you don't like rangers, well, probably not obviously :P

with wizard, if you like wizard you'll enjoy it. there's a lot of variety for wizard options, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one that has something interesting to you.

which one is better for you? i don't know. that's something only you can answer.

djreynolds
2016-12-20, 04:29 PM
You need access to buy spells or find them. Is your DM going to supply this in game for you? Yes, then go wizard. Any wizard will do really, for me it is trying to prepare what I think I need vs what the party can cover down on.
If it is lower level, ranger is preferred as his skill set can cover most combat and exploration basics.

tieren
2016-12-20, 04:44 PM
I hugely prefer wizard over ranger but I am extremely biased in favor of the spellcasting classes. Playing a druid might be a compromise between the two.

I was also going to recommend a druid.

More naturey than a ranger, more control spelly than most wizards. Best summoner in the game too if you are into that.

Wild shapes can be the basis of your play (moon druid) or a fun feature (land druid). If you go land you have shapes to use for utility, like sneaking as a housecat into anywhere the ranger might have tried to stealth.

Gignere
2016-12-20, 06:42 PM
You need access to buy spells or find them. Is your DM going to supply this in game for you? Yes, then go wizard. Any wizard will do really, for me it is trying to prepare what I think I need vs what the party can cover down on.
If it is lower level, ranger is preferred as his skill set can cover most combat and exploration basics.

Actually I am finding that even with just the two spells from leveling my wizard is doing fine and he only has a magic missile wand as his only magic item. Whereas everyone else has at least two items and some of them are very rare. Not that my DM isn't dropping spell scrolls but we haven't had a chance to go back to civilization for me to scribe it in.

The problem with playing wizard is that you have to do research and modeling to pick your spells prepared each day. If you optimize daily based on reconnaissance or what you know of current dungeon you can dominate even naked with just your arcane focus.

Sicarius Victis
2016-12-20, 07:31 PM
Just take the best of both worlds and find yourself a homebrew Arcane Archer subclass, for either class.

Addaran
2016-12-20, 10:34 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I wanted to get people's opinion on wizard and ranger classes and which one was better. I just got out of a campaign with a barbarian and I loved it, but I think for the new game I need someone with a little distance.

I was originally going to make a tiefling wizard because, coming out of a barbarian, I realised I never really got to do anything out of combat (except insulting an ettin in Giant), and it seemed like something I could work with. But then my friend was talking about how much she loved ranger and how it was fun and I read up on it a bit more and it seems like a really fun kind of class to play. The wizard class is still super appealing and my DM says that ranger isn't a class he wants me to play, and he'd rather me be a wizard though.

I don't know a whole lot about them to make any decision, and they both seem like really cool ideas. Can you guys help me out?

Do you trust your DM or he's a sadistic a-hole?

Seems like there's a reason either playing a ranger would make the game less fun or playing a wizard will make the game more fun. If I'm 50-50 between two options and the DM suggests one, i'd probably go with the one suggested.