PDA

View Full Version : Help needing assistance with Archer feats/gear/enchantments

DarkIthil
2016-12-15, 06:09 AM
As the title explains I need some assistance with choosing the correct feats, abilities, gear, enchantments and so on to be a more viable part of our group. I will explain later why I need help maximizing what my character can do.

We play a sort of amalgamation of 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder (DM hates Pathfinder)

I want to play an Arcane Archer. I had asked to attach the Pathfinder Arcane Archer spell progression (Total of +7 to Caster Level) to the 3.0 Arcane Archer in the DM guide.

Stats as follows:

Moon Elf Ranger lvl 4

STR: 14
DEX: 20
CON: 13
INT: 13 (1st ability boost)
WIS: 14
CHA: 10 (Best score ever! sarcasm)

Current Ranged weapon +2 Mighty Composite longbow (masterwork)

DM allowed me to craft some Explosive arrows with my craft skill from black powder and currently have some +1 Frost arrows.

The DM has also allowed another member of our party to play as a Battlemage.

There are a few of the tables about, but this one has Perfect BAB, Perfect Spell Casting, and double intelligence added to damage per spell/spell effect. (I feel that the class is a cheat, however the DM allowed it.)

In short I would like to find a way that I could compete on equal terms if the DM does allow certain things. (without re-rolling and choosing to be a battlemage) Would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks in advance.

John Longarrow
2016-12-15, 07:18 AM
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Far Shot. Precise shot if you think you need it.

Gear- Try to get a bow with distance on it.
Anything to up your Dex.

Your goal here is to be able to drop fireball out at twice your normal max (or more) accurately. With caster progression you'll actually be able to get use out of putting AoE spells on arrows.

Don't worry much about upping the bow initially. The bonus from the arrows gets higher. What you want from the bow though is energy damage. Also get an energy crystal (or two so you can swap). Acid and Electricity are the least likely to run into energy resistance. One on bow, and one by crystal.

After that, anything to improve your mobility will be high priority. You will want to keep out of melee at all costs.

Darrin
2016-12-15, 09:30 AM
Current Ranged weapon +2 Mighty Composite longbow (masterwork)

Add Elvencraft (+300 GP, Races of the Wild) and two wand chambers (+100 GP, Dungeonscape). Some people are of the opinion that because an elvencraft longbow counts as three weapons, you can add a third wand chamber. If you have room for it, make the Elvencraft bow an Ancestral Relic (BoED). This lets you skip taking Craft Magic Arms & Armor, and you can sacrifice loot directly to avoid the 50% trade-in penalty.

If you have the funds, make the bow out of Serren (+4000 GP, BoED), and maybe add Pitspawned (+1000 GP, DMGII).

Presumably you're drawing spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard list? For your wand chambers, maybe start with blade of blood (PHBII) and sonic weapon (Spell Compendium). Glyph Seals (1000 GP, MIC) can be used to cast your buff spells as free actions (key your sealsto your touch, or key them to pockets/ammunition you can draw as a free action). If you have UMD maxed out, then instant of power (Forge of War) is quite nifty.

There are a few of the tables about, but this one has Perfect BAB, Perfect Spell Casting, and double intelligence added to damage per spell/spell effect. (I feel that the class is a cheat, however the DM allowed it.)

Sounds like Lightning Warrior. Very annoying.

In short I would like to find a way that I could compete on equal terms if the DM does allow certain things. (without re-rolling and choosing to be a battlemage) Would appreciate any feedback or advice.

That's... going to be tough. There aren't a lot of feats or class features that really allow archers to crank up the damage output. A great deal of your DPS is going to come out of your gear. Getting the Splitting property (+3 enhancement, Champions of Ruin) on a bow or getting your hands on Hank's Energy Bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) as quickly as possible is the general advice.

As far as Imbue Arrow goes... you'll want to nail down with your DM how flexible he's going to be on what spells can be imbued. It looks like the Pathfinder wording restricts this to only spells with an "Area:" descriptor, but it also mentions Personal spells, so I'm not really sure which type of spells this allows. I'm not all that familiar with Pathfinder, but apparently detonate and create pit are quite popular. In the Spell Compendium, lots to choose from... hail of stone, cloud of bewilderment, fireburst, vortex of teeth, etc.

Feats... the problem with most archery feats is they don't actually do all that much. PB Shot, Rapid Shot, and maybe Precise Shot are kinda all you need, unless you're trying to do something with Manyshot/Greater Manyshot. But if you're using Imbue Arrow, then you're limiting yourself to one attack per round (outside of action economy shenanigans). Woodland Archer (Races of the Wild) helps mostly if you get multiple attacks. I'd recommend making sure you have a reliable Fly speed and take Plunging Shot (same book). Mobile Spellcasting (Complete Adventurer) can be used to cast a second swift action spell if you want to do something like blade of blood and lesser energy surge in the same round. Since "Imbue Arrow" counts as casting a spell, I think you can combine it with Mobile Spellcasting, too.

Barstro
2016-12-15, 09:52 AM
This is for Pathfinder. If 3.0 or 3.5 has it, I am unaware (due to my own ignorance).

On the mundane side of things;
Make every arrow Cold Iron (costs almost nothing)
Use Weapon Blanches (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Weapon-Blanch) to inexpensively create Adamantine and Ghost-Salt arrows. For a few hundred gp, you are prepared for most DR and annoying incorporeals.
Add Adaptive (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/adaptive) to your bow (1,000gp)
Seeking (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/seeking) for +1 is nice when it's needed (but, it's rarely needed)

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-15, 09:55 AM
With Pathfinder in the mix, you can get Deadly Aim (ranged Power Attack) and Clustered Shots (bypass DR), which help mitigate the main downsides to 3.x archery.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-15, 10:00 AM
Lesser bracers of archery. 5,000gp, +1 to all archery attacks, stacks with almost everything, bracer slot is usually worthless otherwise.

Darrin
2016-12-15, 11:03 AM
Lesser bracers of archery. 5,000gp, +1 to all archery attacks, stacks with almost everything, bracer slot is usually worthless otherwise.

These bracers also allow you to use any exotic bow, such as a Greatbow or Bone Bow, without wasting a feat on EWP (you lose the +1 attack bonus, though).

Bracer is a tough slot to fill, though. I usually start with Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC). Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC) can also be used by archers to wield a larger bow. Bracers of Armor with Fortification, Soulfire, or Freedom can be put there.

Covent
2016-12-15, 01:01 PM
See if you can get pre-errata bracers of falcons aim?

flappeercraft
2016-12-15, 01:14 PM
If you have access to BoED, Dragon Magazine (Specifically 358 Masters forge in this case), Champions of ruin and MIC, I would recommend to on the long run aim for obtaining a Serrenwood Long-Range Composite Longbow +5 Splitting Distance which would make you shoot effectively double the arrows at 260 ft range maximum with no penalty and it would act as a Ghost touch weapon. It would cost a total of 85,500 GP plus the cost for making it for you strength bonus at the time but for when you are able to get such a weapon it won't be taht much of a problem to get that amount of GP and you can always build your way there anyways. Also I would reccomend for you to get Dead Eye feat (Dragon compendium) if you are going to fight usually within 30ft as it would add your dex to damage also.

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-15, 03:49 PM
arcane archers thrive when you can get glyph of warding onto your spell list. look at cleric domain acfs for wizards and sorcerers and try to get that spell. That way, any "harmful spell" of 3rd level or lower is available for your arrow.

Snowbluff
2016-12-15, 07:18 PM
Feats:
Extra spell: split arrow
Fell Drain
Twin spell

Use your imbue arrow to cast twin fell Drain hail of stone, multiplied by split arrow and a splitting bow.
"You win. You're welcome."
- Snowbluff, number 1 archer.

Snowbluff
2016-12-15, 07:26 PM
With Pathfinder in the mix, you can get Deadly Aim (ranged Power Attack) and Clustered Shots (bypass DR), which help mitigate the main downsides to 3.x archery.

The downside being what? If you're actually good and bring proper ammunition, DR is never a problem. If you're actually good, damage isn't either. :smallconfused:

Barstro
2016-12-16, 08:34 AM
The downside being what? If you're actually good and bring proper ammunition, DR is never a problem. If you're actually good, damage isn't either. :smallconfused:
Beg to disagree. DR 10/- isn't exactly rare at high levels. Clustered-Shot changes the effective DR on five arrows from 50 to 10. I considered that worth a feat for my ranged Inquisitor.

Snowbluff
2016-12-16, 09:33 AM
Beg to disagree. DR 10/- isn't exactly rare at high levels. Clustered-Shot changes the effective DR on five arrows from 50 to 10. I considered that worth a feat for my ranged Inquisitor.
Pfft, what? Is this a PF thing, because I can't even ponder creatures with general DR in 3.5, outside of feats and a couple of class features. :smallconfused:
Sounds like PF made a problem and you have to pay a tax to deal with it.

Barstro
2016-12-16, 01:17 PM
Pfft, what? Is this a PF thing, because I can't even ponder creatures with general DR in 3.5, outside of feats and a couple of class features. :smallconfused:
Sounds like PF made a problem and you have to pay a tax to deal with it.

Well, if it's only a Pathfinder issue and the OP's DM doesn't care for Pathfinder, then there is no reason to expect such a creature.

I withdraw my support for Clustered Shot as it pertains to the original question.

EDIT: Pathfinder made an obstacle to overcome. Pretty sure that's the point of any of these games. :smallwink:

Snowbluff
2016-12-16, 05:19 PM
Well, if it's only a Pathfinder issue and the OP's DM doesn't care for Pathfinder, then there is no reason to expect such a creature.

I withdraw my support for Clustered Shot as it pertains to the original question. Okay.

As for enchantments, you can carry a stack of 50 +1 Force Arrows in the off chance you run into one of those enemies. Just in case.

EDIT: Pathfinder made an obstacle to overcome. Pretty sure that's the point of any of these games. :smallwink:
Well, first off I think DR is kind of dumb, but it does serve a purpose. Lore wise, "Oh these enemies are hard to fight! Skeletons don't bleed when cut!" In game, the DR system normally favors the well prepared, but letting them get around it with a simple equipment switch. However, carrying enchant cold iron, and adamantine, and silvers, or oils (PF), or weapon crystals (3.5) can be a pain. Archers normally get around this by having different arrows available in different types and materials, and to a greater extent having magical ammunition specific for some enemies.

But DR/- doesn't let you do that. Not really. It says "nope, outta luck." :'(

OP, if you're an Arcane Archer (IE, you have caster levels), and can use PF, the PF samsaran has an option to take extra spells from other lists. My favorites:
1) Arrow Split (CoR 3.5)
2) Litany of Righteousness (PF)
3) Saddle Surge (PF< only good with a mount)
4) (Greater) Named Bullet (PF, Cheese with Abundant ammunition to refresh them in combat or Unguent of Timelessness to have a large number prepared ahead of time)
Unless the game has already started, of course.