PDA

View Full Version : Mummy the Curse or Ressurection?

RazorChain
2016-12-15, 06:28 AM
I'm kinda looking for inspiration. In my current Mythic Europe game the players are headed to find the original Emerald Tablets made by Hermes Trismagistus. They of course are buried with Imhotep in his hidden pyramid near Saqqara.

So I'm looking for inspiration for mummies in my game, like fluff and powers and thinking of picking up either Mummy the Curse or Ressurection for inspiration.

What would you playgrounders recommend? And what is the difference? I know plenty about Classic WoD most about Mage, Vampire and Werewolf but never picked up Mummy. New WoD I haven't followed at all.

BWR
2016-12-15, 10:26 AM
I'd argue against using anything WoD-related in an AM game (we'll try to forget how they briefly tried to force the two together) - the concepts and purposes are too different. Remember that in ME man is the center of everything, and game-wise all supernaturals, whatever their origin or what they get up to on their own, are focused on their interactions with humans. In WoD humans are basically support cast for the supernaturals and each supernatural is the center of their own world.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-12-15, 10:44 AM
Edit: at the above poster, that may be true for oWoD, I don't know about that, but I've heard it criticized for it a lot, but certainly not for nWoD/CoD. Most CoD lines are DEFINED by how they interact with mortals.

I know nothing about Resurrection, but lots about Curse so yay here we go.

The players in M:tC are the Arisen, once servants of the Nameless Empire that predated Egypt, they were given a cursed immortality through the Rite of Return. They were, in life, master craftsmen, members of five Guilds, which still exist in Mummy society. These are: the Maa-Kep, the Engravers of Amulets. The Mesen-Nebu, the Alchemists. The Sesha-Hebsu, the Inscribers and scholars. The Su-Menent, the priests. And the Tef-Aabhi, the masons.

They are servants sworn to a certain Judge, to punish wrongdoers (according to the Judge's views), and to retrieve artifacts and send the artifacts into the Mummy Underworld, Duat. When Mummies awake, they look like the walking shambling corpses of old, with no memory of who they are or where they are, but with ungodly powers. Over time, they regain (limited) memory, and lose their power, and they quickly gain a magical glamour that makes them look alive. Judges oppose the Arisen trying to regain their memories, and opposing the judges causes you to lose power quicker if they notice. Normally, Mummies only awake when either their Cult awakens them to do a task (which they must complete), or when their tomb is broken into, but each 1461 years, they awake spontaneously, with no driving mission, and so long as they remain undefeated will remain awake indefinitely. These "Sothic Turns" mark each cycle of the star Sirius since the Rite of Return that made the Arisen. There have been 3832 BC, 2371 BC, 910 BC, 551 AD, and 2012 AD.

Each Arisen vows a certain Decree to their Judge, which focuses on a certain part of the 5-part Egyptian Soul; Heart (Ab), Spirit (Ba), Essence (Ka), Name (Ren), or Shadow (Sheut).

Arisen Powers:
There are two types of Arisen powers, Affinities (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity_(MTC))and Utterances (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Utterance_(MTC)). I've linked the page that has all of them listed above, but I'll highlight the trends. Affinities are linked to one of the 5 soul parts. Ab Affinities deal with social coercion, ranging from allowing you to raise your social abilities, to being able to read the innermost desires of someones soul.
Ba affinities deals with mental abilities, as well as some movement abilities. It ranges from the ability to jump supernaturally high or raise mental attributes, to the ability to see a random Fated time and space, or combine souls with another creature.
Ka affinities deal with the body, from ignoring damage, to gaining the strength to lift buildings, and more interesting things like putting a curse on anyone who defeats or kills the Mummy.
Ren affinities range from healing, to making the Mummy always seem to belong anywhere they are, away from notice.
Sheut affinities are pretty scary, ranging from the ability to catch bullets to the ability to teleport.
There are also Guild affinities, which are taught by the Guilds.

Utterances are more special. They have badass names like Secrets Ripped From Skies, and have 3 "levels" of effects, each level linked to a certain level of the soul. They are also ridiculously powerful. So Secrets Ripped from Skies, at 1 Ba, allows you to determine your exact location. At 3 Sheut,it allows you to CHANGE REALITY SUCH THAT A SMALL METEORITE WAS ALWAYS GOING TO FALL EXACTLY RIGHT ON YOUR ENEMY. At Ren 5, the stars tell you "the secrets of Fate". Other abilities include True Resurrection, terrible curses, power over ghosts (remaking them into whatever you want, giving a ghost a body, swallowing a ghost into a place of torment until it is a broken servant of the Mummy. ), earthquakes, healing, literally erasing someone from all history such that they never existed, growing black wings of smoke and fire, the Parting of the Red Seas, entombing people into the earth, summoning sandstorms.

There are other types of "Mummies". There are whispers of the Deceived, a 6th Guild of Mummies with powerful magics.
A Sadikh is a mortal who an Arisen has decided is too useful to let die, and has been given limited powers.
The Shuankhsen are mummy-like creatures of destruction, who unlike Mummies remember the Nameless Empire, but cannot speak of it.

I can tell you more background, but a lot of it is secret information meant to be hidden from players, so if you think you intend on being a PLAYER in M:tC, I'd recommend using the stuff above.

RazorChain
2016-12-15, 02:46 PM
I'd argue against using anything WoD-related in an AM game (we'll try to forget how they briefly tried to force the two together) - the concepts and purposes are too different. Remember that in ME man is the center of everything, and game-wise all supernaturals, whatever their origin or what they get up to on their own, are focused on their interactions with humans. In WoD humans are basically support cast for the supernaturals and each supernatural is the center of their own world.

Not running Ars Magica but a setting inspired by it. I'm already using a lot from WoD selectively but running the setting in Gurps (which published mage, vampire and werewolf powered by Gurps a many years back)

And thanks Gwyn...already picked up Mummy the Curse free from scribd (a least for a month I think). Now the PC's can have fun tackling Imhotep in all his glory when he rises again.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-12-15, 10:19 PM
I would note that that is an illegal copy, btw.

RazorChain
2016-12-15, 10:36 PM
I would note that that is an illegal copy, btw.

Woot?, I though Scribd was a legit company like the netflix of books?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-12-15, 10:56 PM
Not all of it. It has a secondary feature as a place to upload your own documents, which is sometimes used to upload illegal pdfs. The legal PDF (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/111598?affiliate_id=13&src=WWWiki) is $20 from Drivethrurpg. Don't worry, I made the same mistake too.