PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Undying light warlock patron

Persychan
2016-12-15, 07:00 AM
Yeap, I know that in the official flavour a Undying light warlock doesn't have a entity patron and I usually like this (I feel very Jedi like with the Light as the Force) but my DM would prefer a more "canonical" pact with a creature/entity/thing/etc.

Any strange, unconventional ideas? (Please, no Celestial, my last character was an "angel" so I'd enough XD)

Arkhios
2016-12-15, 07:13 AM
What about an entity that was probably once a mortal like you, but who throughout his or her mortal life was so devoted to the light that eventually after his or her death, his or her entire being fused into to become a part of the universe. Not just a celestial creature, but something bigger and more comprehensive than the concept of divinity. Not a deity, instead something even deities can't fully comprehend. A transcendent amoral entity, indifferent with the conflicts of the world. Somehow, however, you have made contact with such a thing, possibly striving to become something like that thing yourself, transcending the laws of the universe. (Essentially, as you put it, the Force)

xyianth
2016-12-15, 07:25 AM
I don't know if it counts as strange or unconventional but you could make your patron a powerful radiant dragon. If you want something not associated with celestials at all, how about a phoenix?

Millstone85
2016-12-15, 08:54 AM
You could go with the concept of a "vestige" pact, except focused on radiant beings.
Your patron is the collective voice of dead powers who were once deities of goodness and life. They may have been defeated by their foes and forgotten by most, but their light is truly undying.

Or you could refluff it as a pact with nature spirits.
The great life force you are connected to is not on some distant plane. It is the pulse of the fauna and flora all around you. Some call you a shaman and you are welcome among druids and rangers.

Persychan
2016-12-15, 09:03 AM
Thank you all for the ideas, I'm sure my evil DM with find some of this idea to his liking, and if you have others, go ahead and share ~

Another thing of which I forgot in the first post: any advice/tip for other flaws bc the original ones are a little too similar and "weak"?

Ravinsild
2016-12-15, 10:25 AM
My Undying Light Warlock's Patron is a Phoenix. It felt like a perfect fit for the features.

1) Bonus to Radiant and Fire damage, Phoenix are made of Fire
2) Coming back to life in a blaze of glory at level 6, Phoenix come back to life
3) Temporary Hit Points at level 10, Phoenix are hard to kill so it seemed fitting
4) Healing your friends, well I've never heard of a healing Phoenix but 3/4 was good enough for me.

Millstone85
2016-12-15, 10:33 AM
I've never heard of a healing PhoenixYou are the reason Aerith is dead. :smalltongue:

CursedRhubarb
2016-12-15, 11:45 AM
4) Healing your friends, well I've never heard of a healing Phoenix but 3/4 was good enough for me.

Fawkes from Harry Potter. The description is oddly fitting.

"Phoenix tears have immense healing powers. It is the only known cure for basilisk venom. It is also capable of reviving a person from any injury, even if the person is at the brink of death, similar to unicorn blood (without the cursed side-effects)."

Pretty darn close to a perfect patron.

Zorku
2016-12-15, 11:54 AM
Past/Future version of yourself. The character proper is the best incarnation of the patron that could be crammed into a humanoid vessel, and if you manage to both attune yourself to yourself for a few centuries, and you don't get yourself killed, you'll most likely transcend your flesh to be like that again.

Since it's not 100% compatible with a humanoid body the motivations and demands don't have to make perfect sense to the character or align directly with their current goals, there's room for out-of-order chronology hijinx for your DM to play with if they like that kind of thing, and if you decide to struggle against it there's an extra layer of internal turmoil.

Ravinsild
2016-12-15, 11:54 AM
Fawkes from Harry Potter. The description is oddly fitting.

"Phoenix tears have immense healing powers. It is the only known cure for basilisk venom. It is also capable of reviving a person from any injury, even if the person is at the brink of death, similar to unicorn blood (without the cursed side-effects)."

Pretty darn close to a perfect patron.

Oh yeah. Phoenix Down....but I guess I tied that in with coming back from dead over healing. Either which way yeah, the Phoenix felt completely fitting for a Patron. Plus there aren't any stats in the MM or anything so it seemed magical and mystical enough and usually they're considered good creatures so...I felt Phoenix was the perfect patron with fitting abilities to grant someone else.

CursedRhubarb
2016-12-15, 12:02 PM
Though not keeping up on your end of the deal could be scary with a phoenix patron for a lock that's a prick.

Patron - Do as I say!
Lock - ...No
Patron - *Smites then revives* Do as I say!
Lock - *Cries* ...very well

Persychan
2016-12-15, 12:38 PM
I don't know if it counts as strange or unconventional but you could make your patron a powerful radiant dragon. If you want something not associated with celestials at all, how about a phoenix?

My Undying Light Warlock's Patron is a Phoenix. It felt like a perfect fit for the features.

1) Bonus to Radiant and Fire damage, Phoenix are made of Fire
2) Coming back to life in a blaze of glory at level 6, Phoenix come back to life
3) Temporary Hit Points at level 10, Phoenix are hard to kill so it seemed fitting

Oh yeah. Phoenix Down....but I guess I tied that in with coming back from dead over healing. Either which way yeah, the Phoenix felt completely fitting for a Patron. Plus there aren't any stats in the MM or anything so it seemed magical and mystical enough and usually they're considered good creatures so...I felt Phoenix was the perfect patron with fitting abilities to grant someone else.

Ok, you've convinced me, unless the DM doesn't agree (and I don't think so), the patron will be definitely a phoenix. It works even better with the extra spells which they are all fire.

About that,any advice for new flaw with a phoenix patron?

Ravinsild
2016-12-15, 12:43 PM
Ok, you've convinced me, unless the DM doesn't agree (and I don't think so), the patron will be definitely a phoenix. It works even better with the extra spells which they are all fire.

About that,any advice for new flaw with a phoenix patron?

Well it's kind of a dumb flaw that might not come up often but: "You aware of your immortality but fear dying greatly...because it hurts and you retain the memory of how you died."

Yes I stole it from that one anime about the guy who dies over and over but nobody remembers but him.

Aett_Thorn
2016-12-15, 12:55 PM
Well it's kind of a dumb flaw that might not come up often but: "You aware of your immortality but fear dying greatly...because it hurts and you retain the memory of how you died."

Yes I stole it from that one anime about the guy who dies over and over but nobody remembers but him.

Also, Kenny from South Park has pretty much this same affliction.

Another possible flaw is that you are afraid of water, in any form. In order to drink something it needs to be concealed in a waterskin or other solid container. Swimming or bathing is right out.

alchahest
2016-12-15, 02:04 PM
Past/Future version of yourself. The character proper is the best incarnation of the patron that could be crammed into a humanoid vessel, and if you manage to both attune yourself to yourself for a few centuries, and you don't get yourself killed, you'll most likely transcend your flesh to be like that again.

Since it's not 100% compatible with a humanoid body the motivations and demands don't have to make perfect sense to the character or align directly with their current goals, there's room for out-of-order chronology hijinx for your DM to play with if they like that kind of thing, and if you decide to struggle against it there's an extra layer of internal turmoil.

Holy moly, I was going to read the whole thread and then respond but I had to quote this. I absolutely love this idea.

as for my own boring thing - why not an adventurer from a previous campaign? someone who's gone epic level and ascended to a post-mortal existence capable of doling out powers unimagined by most?

Persychan
2016-12-15, 03:09 PM

Also, Kenny from South Park has pretty much this same affliction.

Another possible flaw is that you are afraid of water, in any form. In order to drink something it needs to be concealed in a waterskin or other solid container. Swimming or bathing is right out.

Both could be interesting, I'm not totally sure but they aren't bad.

Meanwhile, I talked with my DM and the warlock's patron will be a phoenix (well, at least it's what me/the character thinks it is, IDK) and I'll use an homebrew background (here (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Revenant_(5e_Background))) because it fits his plan for my chara.

So know I only have to decide my undying light flaw... Thank you all!

Regulas
2016-12-15, 06:38 PM
Your patron is a conventional god of Good and or light. But you are not a believer.

Maybe you were a villain or otherwise you committed some crime and you were caught by their clerics/Paladins. Trying to be spared you claimed that you would atone and change for the best. Odds are you were lying when you said it, alas it seems their god took an interest in you, as your last word was uttered a radiant force seemed to fill you striping away your former powers and filling you with light. With Divine certainty you knew that you had become bound by your words in covenant with this God, although at least you had been given the tools needed.

Only one path now lies before you: Be the light, atone for your crimes.... or face radiant judgement, the very power you now wield to achieve this goal, an ever looming threat ready to cleanse you should ever you stray from the path.