PDA

View Full Version : What to do with multiple copies of the same character

lolcat
2016-12-15, 07:33 AM
Greetings playground!

A quick question: what could a character do, to use multiple copies that have been created of his character by plot device?
All are conscious, with their own soul etc...
Especially, given that the character might have decades to exploit this, so retraining of classes, feats etc. is an option.

Any ideas, from the mundane to the cheesiest cheese-fondue imaginable, are welcome :) Thanks!

Coidzor
2016-12-15, 08:34 AM
I'm sure there's some potential there when it comes to forming a musical supergroup and going on tour.

Does he have at-will cloning, or is there a set number of duplicates?

Esprit15
2016-12-15, 08:40 AM
Four of them could form an adventuring party.

Open magic schools on every continent (or even in every country) and act as the headmasters.

Enough of them and you just have an army of high level adventurers.

Commoner railguns, but without the commoners.

Make a seven mile spanking machine.

Make an entire city populated by you. Call it [PC name]-topia/opoplis.

Win the Blood War.

lolcat
2016-12-15, 09:09 AM
The number of duplicates is fixed and not all that high (maybe in the dozens, if that).
Would be interesting to see something dependent on classes, spells or similar. So something that a dozen different people would not be able to do just as easily.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-15, 10:49 AM
I had a similar situation, except I made my clones myself.

Do whatever you need to in order to gain access to the vermin lord's hiveminding ability, have everyone cast acorn of far travel on the same (small) oak tree, cast aspect of the wolf on every body you want in the hivemind, and then hivemind them together. Voila. You are now legion.

JoshuaZ
2016-12-15, 10:56 AM
Have deep existential crises and theological conflicts about what this says about one's own nature, the nature of souls consciousness, etc.?

Or if one wants to be more in game focused, wizards when they advanced levels can deliberately coordinate to pick up different spells. In Pathfinder, this works even better for witches since exchanging spells for them is essentially free. A 17th level pair of telepaths can with with psychic reformulation, psychic chirurgery and expanded knowledge for a small XP cost both end up with every psionic power of 8th level or lower (this only works in 3.5, not Pathfinder).

Coidzor
2016-12-15, 11:13 AM
Have deep existential crises and theological conflicts about what this says about one's own nature, the nature of souls consciousness, etc.?

Or if one wants to be more in game focused, wizards when they advanced levels can deliberately coordinate to pick up different spells. In Pathfinder, this works even better for witches since exchanging spells for them is essentially free. A 17th level pair of telepaths can with with psychic reformulation, psychic chirurgery and expanded knowledge for a small XP cost both end up with every psionic power of 8th level or lower (this only works in 3.5, not Pathfinder).

IIRC, a few of them being Spell to Power Erudites and more of the rest being Psions means that the StP Erudites can teach the Psions every spell and every power in the game in a way that allows them spontaneous access to them all, and without the Erudite's drawback of being limited in unique powers per day.

Combine with a few of the ways to have infinite/regenerating PP, and you're able to have some fun.

LordOfCain
2016-12-15, 12:43 PM
Nightsong Infiltrator is good with lots of bodies and there was an Iron Chef for it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?263173-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-XL).

Sheogoroth
2016-12-15, 12:49 PM
I suppose if you mind-linked them, they might qualify as Dvati?

I'm not really a fan of Dvati or teamwork feats, but you could do some interesting things with the Shield Wall feat.

...There's also 3rd party prestige class in "Ultimate Prestige Classes" by AEG(I think) that had a class called the Mook. It was mostly meh, but it did have an ability that allowed you to passively grant your entire shield bonus to anyone in an adjacent square. Now RAW doesn't say they have to be to the side of, they could be in front or behind and still grant the bonus.

So, if all four of them dual wield towershields with the Shield Wall feat, each one would be netting a +26 to AC from shield bonus alone.
After they get the mook ability, have them multi-class into psions.

Covent
2016-12-15, 01:00 PM
Barbershop?

or more usefully, perhaps work out a schedule where some of the copies are hibernating and you all share one mind via telepathy so as to become a close to immortal being?

Recurver
2016-12-15, 01:16 PM
two words... LEADERSHIP FEAT! have as many as you can get the leadership feat then have any appropriately leveled followers also get the leadership feat. each and every one of you clones could swiftly become rulers of kingdoms dotting the landscape. imagine a world where you would always have a safe kingdom to go to wherever you happen to roam. Even better if you're ok with the evil side of things and choose to have them be THRALLHERDS instead, after all, thrallherds make the best leaders. Just ask their citizens, they will tell you so, then light themselves on fire while running off a cliff just because you told them too.

arkangel111
2016-12-15, 02:52 PM
I'd let the player have some fun, but as the GM I'd have a small group of them rebel, change alignments and build themselves to counter the PC party. Perhaps one of them finds out how to "absorb" another kinda like Jet Li in "The One". Who better to TPK the party than one of its own? Heck to start things off I'd have several of the copies exhibiting extremes of the PC's personality. Maybe instead of being serious all the time, one of them becomes a comic relief, and then slowly devolve part of the group into an enemy party. Perhaps a struggle to determine who is the "real" PC.
if the player loves the RP part of the game I'd have him randomly determine who he "wakes up as" that day and exhibit small changes in his PC on his own. Could lead to some great RP moments. for ease of use and to get him started just name them like the 7 dwarfs. I think the hardest part of this whole venture would be trying not to focus too much on the one character while the rest of the party watches. Although, you could have some of the evil group leave messages and have conversations with the rest of the PC's that the other character doesn't know, this could lead to very fun interactions for the party. Keep in mind the other PC's likely can't tell them apart, for that matter neither can any NPC's the player interacts with, makes framing the PC easy.

just a few things that came to mind when I read your post.

As for actual builds, the sky is the limits. I mean if the other copies are working together things can get game-breaking fast. at least one changes to a wizard and learns PAO, starts PAOing the rest of the group into your favorite form. learn every spell, be every class, teamwork feats and ways to share teamwork feats could be fun if not game-breaking.

Vogie
2016-12-15, 04:12 PM
I think it'd be better if you don't hive-mind them all - Sure, that character can now almost effectively not die, as the player can always call up another one of them. But I would try to figure out all the different responses you can think of, then have each of the clones do exactly those.

Maybe three of them decide to drop out of the party and live a quiet life in a little town as "brothers". A couple retrain to different classes "because they always wanted to". Some follow political ambitions, some follow that desire for a quiet life as a blacksmith/tradesman with a spouse and kids. Some will stay in the party, either permanently or come and go. Perhaps when the party encounters some other culture or city, one of them realizes they just want to stay on.

And some of them will have their minds break, becoming catatonic or suicidal, or turning against the party as a whole, or maybe just against the other clones. Maybe one harbors a nihilistic streak, disappears, then does some dastardly deed (high-profile assassination, et cetera) to throw blame on the party.

Of course, you can use the ones that wander away for other positive McGuffins down the line, too. "We need to hide, why not go over and hang out with the dude that decided to be a lumberjack", "Actually, it just so happens we do know someone in Braavos..." and so forth.

Sheogoroth
2016-12-15, 04:18 PM
It would also be sort of comical to have them quietly follow the party in the event of your main characters death, at which time they step in as his identical twin brother to quietly pick up where he left off, take hold of his relationships, and have a slightly varying name so as to keep down confusion.
Sort of like Eurotrip and equally horrifying.

"Alas Harold my brother! The only way I Harald know how to mourn your death is to become you and know your struggle!"

lolcat
2016-12-16, 03:13 AM
Some great ideas there :D
Talking about cheesy exploits, what could such a character do asides from StP Erudite learn-everything??