PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to report a post as spam without opening it?

Peelee
2016-12-15, 10:17 AM
For instance, this thread (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508985-uncontested-Divorce-Johannesburg) in the Mad Science and Grumpy Technology board is titled "uncontested Divorce Johannesburg" and mousing over gives the start of it,
Poor Atchoum is afflicted with hypertrichosis, which causes excessive hair growth and gives him enough messy strands to perfect the scruffy look.

A look at his Instagram account proves that despite his serious demeanor, Atchoum likes to do all things cat — sitting inside the laundry basket,....

I can understand wanting to be conservative about it and reading a whole post to make sure it's not tangentially related, talks about topical issues past the mouseover text, or is even just in the wrong subforum, but as this shows, some threads are very obviously spam. Is there a way to report them without opening the thread?

MikelaC1
2016-12-15, 10:46 PM
For instance, this thread (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508985-uncontested-Divorce-Johannesburg) in the Mad Science and Grumpy Technology board is titled "uncontested Divorce Johannesburg" and mousing over gives the start of it,

I can understand wanting to be conservative about it and reading a whole post to make sure it's not tangentially related, talks about topical issues past the mouseover text, or is even just in the wrong subforum, but as this shows, some threads are very obviously spam. Is there a way to report them without opening the thread?

Im pretty sure you have to open and honestly, thats only fair, each thread has to be given a chance, even if its title suggests spam

Rockphed
2016-12-15, 11:59 PM
Im pretty sure you have to open and honestly, thats only fair, each thread has to be given a chance, even if its title suggests spam

The only thing I can think of with regards to this was a, blessedly brief, spate of spam bots coming on the forums and posting rather explicit pictures that happened a few years back. The mods do a reasonably good job of clearing out spam, and, though I don't know the numbers, I am fairly confident that spam gets reported regularly. If you see spam that you don't feel like opening (say because you expect it to contain images that are not safe for work), not reporting it right now is probably not going to delay when the mods get to it by much.

Peelee
2016-12-16, 01:52 AM

Imean, for the most part I agree with you, and it's better to err on the side of caution. But a title, subforum, and mouse over text all being completely unrelated? That's about as obvious as can be without being in Hangul.

The only thing I can think of with regards to this was a, blessedly brief, spate of spam bots coming on the forums and posting rather explicit pictures that happened a few years back. The mods do a reasonably good job of clearing out spam, and, though I don't know the numbers, I am fairly confident that spam gets reported regularly. If you see spam that you don't feel like opening (say because you expect it to contain images that are not safe for work), not reporting it right now is probably not going to delay when the mods get to it by much.
Eh, good point.

137beth
2016-12-17, 01:51 AM
The way I see it, if there is something that is so bad that you don't want to have to click on it, then either
a)Someone else will click into the thread and hopefully report it, or
b)No one will view the thread, meaning it dies quickly and doesn't cause any harm.

Hence, I don't think it's a problem to require you to actually see the post before reporting it.

Peelee
2016-12-17, 02:01 PM
Imean, I hardly ever think anything is so bad that I'm afraid to click on it. That's not really an issue (and, if it were to ever happen, someone else would report it, as you said). All I was asking was, if something is very blatantly spam, is there a slightly more convenient report button. It's not a really big deal, especially now when the mods have much bigger fish to fry, and as about everyone has said so far, the simplest answer probably is "no, so just click on the thread to report it or let someone else do it."

Rawhide
2016-12-17, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, there is not a way to report a post without opening it.