PDA

View Full Version : Playing with fire

poolio
2016-12-15, 12:07 PM
Greetings pyros, in my current game I'm playing a fire genasi EK with obvious emphasis on lighting things on fire.

And i started looking at other pyro type characters, and obviously we have wizards or sorcerers that just take primarily fire spells, but what as bout other classes? Light clerics can be worshipers of flame, and desert land druids (unless someone wants to/has home brewed a circle of the volcano) could be a good fire themed character.

So what other characters can my fellow playgrounders come up with or played in the past? :smallsmile:

Ravinsild
2016-12-15, 12:31 PM
Greetings pyros, in my current game I'm playing a fire genasi EK with obvious emphasis on lighting things on fire.

And i started looking at other pyro type characters, and obviously we have wizards or sorcerers that just take primarily fire spells, but what as bout other classes? Light clerics can be worshipers of flame, and desert land druids (unless someone wants to/has home brewed a circle of the volcano) could be a good fire themed character.

So what other characters can my fellow playgrounders come up with or played in the past? :smallsmile:

I was asking about a gish pyromancer for my first 5e character and it came around to being something like Undying Light Warlock 6/Draconic Origin Sorcerer (Red/Gold) 14 I think with Pact of the Chain and just using a rapier (for being a Drow) and spamming Green-Flame Blade in melee and quickening fire spells and picking all/only fire spells.

I think that's what we collectively decided was the best way to build a pyromancer gish.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-12-15, 03:29 PM
Let's not forget the Fiend Pact Warlock; bonus points if it's a Tiefling!

Alejandro
2016-12-15, 03:31 PM
Human, Elemental Adept feat (Fire), named Beavis.

Draco4472
2016-12-15, 09:06 PM
I have a paladin/sorcerer that uses only fire spells, spamming Green-Flame Blade and stacking it with Searing Smite and draconic sorcerer's bonus to fire dmg.

In addition, I've reflavored other spells to be related to fire. Cure wounds cauterizes, hold person creates tendrils of flames wrapping around a person, shield is a small explosion to repel attacks, so on and so forth.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-15, 10:47 PM
Yeah, basically:
Undying Light Warlock, Pact of the Tome 3 or Pact of the Blade 12
+
Draconic Sorcerer (Red/Gold) 6 or more
+
Elemental Adept: Fire
=
Some of the silliest damage you can muster without spending resources.

>> At first level you have Green Flame Blade dealing Weapon+Stat+Charisma and Charisma secondary.
>>At 3rd level you have Shillelagh from Tome, giving you Charisma as your only attack stat. So now it's d8+Charisma+Charisma.
>>At 5th level (character level, not class), you get an extra D8 to Green Flame Blade's primary and secondary damage. So 2d8+Cha+Cha primary, and d8+cha secondary.
>>At Sorcerer 4 you get Metamagic: Quicken Spell, to cast Green Flame Blade as a bonus action. So at Character Level 9 you are throwing:
2d8+Cha+Cha, x2.
>>At Draconic Sorcerer level 6 (character level 11) you add your Charisma to your chosen damage type.
>>Also at character level 11, your Green Flame Blade adds another d8 to both damage types. You now do:
3d8+Cha+Cha+Cha, x2 each turn.

Since you likely took Elemental Initiate: Fire to get around the common fire resistances (and also slightly boost averagw damage), you probably have Cha16 for +3. That makes your average primary damage 22.5 per attack. You can do that twice, expending Sorcery Points.

Alternately, you can go Blade instead. You lose access to Shillelagh for the Cha-primary build and would need to use Str or Dex for attacks. However, at Bladelock12 you can nab an extra source of +Cha to damage via Life Drinker. This puts your damage at:
Weapon+Str/Dex+Cha+Cha+Cha.

Other good tricks would include getting levels of Fighter or Paladin for Duellist and armor. I personally suggest Paladin, although it takes 2 levels; you gain Smite, a spell slot, and can pick up Searing Smite which has the potential for abuse based on DM ruling that it triggers the +Cha for Fire Damage and possibly allowing you to use it "when you expect trouble."
Adding Warcaster let's you do make these attacks as an Opportunity Attack. You can also add Hex or Bestow Curse via Warlock for +d6 or +d8 per hit, respectively.

That's probably the Fire Build in the game. I'm playing what is essentially a Thunder version, based on Booming Blade, Storm Sorc, and using Tempest Cleric instead of Warlock for maxing damage, and taking levels of Paladin. It's a pretty good "sticky tank" build. The Fire Build is best with UA allowed, and it's strength lies 100% in "striker" type damage, so it's less useful to the party and more of a "look at what we can do!" sort of optimization game.

Ravinsild
2016-12-15, 11:27 PM
Yeah, basically:
+
+
=

>> At first level you have Green Flame Blade dealing Weapon+Stat+Charisma and Charisma secondary.
>>At 3rd level you have Shillelagh from Tome, giving you Charisma as your only attack stat. So now it's d8+Charisma+Charisma.
>>At 5th level (character level, not class), you get an extra D8 to Green Flame Blade's primary and secondary damage. So 2d8+Cha+Cha primary, and d8+cha secondary.
>>At Sorcerer 4 you get Metamagic: Quicken Spell, to cast Green Flame Blade as a bonus action. So at Character Level 9 you are throwing:
2d8+Cha+Cha, x2.
>>At Draconic Sorcerer level 6 (character level 11) you add your Charisma to your chosen damage type.
>>Also at character level 11, your Green Flame Blade adds another d8 to both damage types. You now do:

Since you likely took Elemental Initiate: Fire to get around the common fire resistances (and also slightly boost averagw damage), you probably have Cha16 for +3. That makes your average primary damage 22.5 per attack. You can do that twice, expending Sorcery Points.

Alternately, you can go Blade instead. You lose access to Shillelagh for the Cha-primary build and would need to use Str or Dex for attacks. However, at Bladelock12 you can nab an extra source of +Cha to damage via Life Drinker. This puts your damage at:

Other good tricks would include getting levels of Fighter or Paladin for Duellist and armor. I personally suggest Paladin, although it takes 2 levels; you gain Smite, a spell slot, and can pick up Searing Smite which has the potential for abuse based on DM ruling that it triggers the +Cha for Fire Damage and possibly allowing you to use it "when you expect trouble."
Adding Warcaster let's you do make these attacks as an Opportunity Attack. You can also add Hex or Bestow Curse via Warlock for +d6 or +d8 per hit, respectively.

That's probably the Fire Build in the game. I'm playing what is essentially a Thunder version, based on Booming Blade, Storm Sorc, and using Tempest Cleric instead of Warlock for maxing damage, and taking levels of Paladin. It's a pretty good "sticky tank" build. The Fire Build is best with UA allowed, and it's strength lies 100% in "striker" type damage, so it's less useful to the party and more of a "look at what we can do!" sort of optimization game.

Plus all that is just your normal turn. When you really want to burn things you still have all the cool spells like Fireball, Fire Storm, Wall of Fire and...well anything with the word "Fire"/"Flame" in the name...and maybe Cinderstorm and stuff. Tons of spells to fill out your spell list when you need more damage than green-flame blade spamming.

poolio
2016-12-16, 01:34 PM
Yeah, basically:
+
+
=

2d8+Cha+Cha, x2.

...wow lol i have got to try this :smallbiggrin: