PDA

View Full Version : How would you build Thrall from Warcraft?

Douche
2016-12-15, 03:27 PM
An orc shaman who wields a warhammer & uses the forces of the elements.

How do you build him?

Flashy
2016-12-15, 03:32 PM
An orc shaman who wields a warhammer & uses the forces of the elements.

How do you build him?

Probably as a mountain circle land druid trading wild shape for martial weapon proficiency and maybe extra attack.

pcamp88
2016-12-15, 03:54 PM
IMO he's a Fighter / Tempest Cleric multiclass. He spent his youth / early adulthood as a gladiator and became a shaman some time after escaping.

Ravinsild
2016-12-15, 04:05 PM
IMO he's a Fighter / Tempest Cleric multiclass. He spent his youth / early adulthood as a gladiator and became a shaman some time after escaping.

Warcraft III Thrall?

Heroes of the Storm Thall?

World of Warcraft Thrall?

The most common elements are: Chain Lightning, Wolves that are summoned (for a couple seconds to root or as allies that fight with you for a duration), Earthquake spell and uh...his hammer with Windfury. Also Far Sight.

Seclora
2016-12-15, 06:59 PM
Favored Soul(tempest) Sorceror seems most likely to me, although Tempest Cleric could work. Maybe throw a few levels of Kensai in there too, for some extra combat ability and survivability.

Douche
2016-12-15, 08:08 PM
Favored Soul(tempest) Sorceror seems most likely to me, although Tempest Cleric could work. Maybe throw a few levels of Kensai in there too, for some extra combat ability and survivability.

Where do you find Favored Soul? Is that a UA or did it come from a book?

Chaosvii7
2016-12-15, 08:51 PM
It depends on a few factors, as well as whether or not we're playing by the books or if we're allowed to homebrew stuff. If we're doing this entirely as written, I'd say that the best fit would actually be an Eldritch Knight fighter. Wizards have a decent spread of elemental magic to them, especially with the PoTA spells thrown into the mix, and combined with the fighter chassis gives you a decent shamanistic gladiator motif. The only two abilties that I can think of that emulate Windfury are Haste and Action Surge, both of which you could pick up this way.

As for the hammer, the best fit by the book is probably the Hammer of Thunderbolts.

If we're talking with some homebrew thrown in, it'd probably be best to use Ranger for a class, specifically with a custom Shaman archetype (I'm imagining something that summons totems and learns a few druid spells). Doomhammer could be made entirely custom so as to fill in the gaps in the abilities you couldn't cover with the archetype.

Draco4472
2016-12-15, 08:57 PM
Where do you find Favored Soul? Is that a UA or did it come from a book?

Favored Soul is from a UA, not sure which.

CantigThimble
2016-12-15, 08:59 PM
It really depends on which incarnation of Thrall you want to use. Sometimes he's a warrior who stands on the frontlines bashing skulls, other times he's a spellcaster and leader whose armor is mostly for show and whose hammer is more of a spell focus than a melee weapon. In general I'd probably go with either nature cleric or druid. Druid has all the necessary spells but the armor restriction doesn't fit. Cleric can get some of the spells but not all of them. Other spellcasters don't get earthquake, which is common to all his incarnations.

TheUser
2016-12-15, 09:10 PM
He could be a Valor Bard;

Medium Armor check

Martial Weapons + Extra Attack check

Level 10 Spells: Lightning Bolt + Haste (Windfury).

Level 14 Spells: Chain Lightning + Conjure Elemental

Level 17: Earthquake + Stoneskin (Earth Shield)

The easier alternative is Tempest Cleric/A combat class or Paladin 6/Sorcerer

jaappleton
2016-12-15, 09:18 PM
I asked this same question on the WOTC forums before they closed.

Absolutely a Wisdom based caster.

If you utilize Homebrew, there's a ton of ways. Making him a Valor Bard, but with the Druid spell list and Wisdom based is a start.

Tempest Cleric is pretty close if you want to play it straight.

Brawnspear
2016-12-15, 10:26 PM
Woo, brought the old account out of mothballs for this...

If we want to stick to his Martial beginnings and Weaponry abilities, we start with Fighter and then go Land Druid. Grasslands gives him Haste for windflurry, but Mountain gives the lightning bolt. Druid also has access to frostbite and conjure flame for some Shocks. For armor, you can fluff some non metal medium armor since shammy's are Mail wearers, and mail crafting supplies in WoW are gathered from various skinnable creatures.

I'd go 5 fighter for extra attack and 15 Mountain Druid for the the Lightning. Windfury can be fluffed from Action Surge. Druid covers summoning both wolves and elementals, as well as ghostwolf form. 9th level spells aren't really needed since Earthquake, as others have pointed out as a standby, is only 8th level. Druid also gives access to Mass Cure wounds for revitalizing his allies and stonewall/shape for earthen bridges ala the Legion starting experience.

You could go EK for the fighter subclass and pick up some more elemental cantrips. Also gets Mage Armor for mixing it up when not fully armored, as he has a habit of doing, and Shield which can be fluffed up as calling the earth, or what have you, to protect him.