PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you please explain 3.5e Lycanthropy to me?

Burmaz
2016-12-15, 04:47 PM
I'm set to become a new DM in january, and I want to include the mechanic of Lycanthropy in the game. I like the motive, i like the power boost, and I like the weakness to silver/moon cycle.

However, I have no idea how the rules work with PC's.

I know you're supposed to add some animal hit dice (why? can't you just have a single health pool that persists between all 3 forms?), and that there's a level adjustment... but that's pretty much it.

For example, if a Human Fighter 1 failed his save against a basic MM1 werewolf, how many hit dice would he then have, and what would his ECL become?
(as far as I know, a non-lycantrope human fighter 1 has an ECL of 1)

And, if I want to houserule that all lycanthropes are natural, rather than afflicted, what would change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Telonius
2016-12-15, 04:57 PM
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm#werewolf)'s the SRD Statblock for a werewolf; the example given is for a Level 1 warrior. You'd end up with a 3-hd character, with level adjustment of +2 (if afflicted) or +3 (if natural), so ECL of 5 or 6.

Mechanical differences if you made everything Natural rather than Afflicted:
- Can use Alternate Form without a Control Shape check
- DR 10/silver instead of 5/silver in hybrid and animal form

OldTrees1
2016-12-15, 04:59 PM
I know you're supposed to add some animal hit dice (why? can't you just have a single health pool that persists between all 3 forms?), and that there's a level adjustment... but that's pretty much it.

For example, if a Human Fighter 1 failed his save against a basic MM1 werewolf, how many hit dice would he then have, and what would his ECL become?

You add the animal hit dice to all forms so it is a single health pool made up of base form + inflicted form.

Human Fighter 1 becomes a werewolf =>
Their Hit Dice are 1d10(1 level of fighter) + 2d8(hit dice of a wolf)
The Fighter is now a 5th level character (3 Hit Dice + 2 Level Adjustment = 5 Effective Character Level)
To control their transformation they would make Control Shape checks (which is a skill they can now invest skill points to gain ranks in).

Their physical stats depend on the form they are in:
Human: Human
Wolf: Wolf
Hybrid: Human + Wolf racial modifiers of(Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4)

If you houserule all lycans are natural then the only change is all lycans have +3 LA and control their transformation as natural lycans do. This would make the example werewolf human fighter 1 a 6th level character (3+3=6) but they do not need the control shape skill.

Aetis
2016-12-15, 04:59 PM
Your lv 1 human fighter would have ECL of 5.

He is basically gaining two levels in "wolf". He still has only one pool of health. The new hit dice adds to his existing hp pool.

If you remove the afflicted lycans and just use natural lycans, then it would be ECL of 6 instead, since he can now control his forms without rolling Control Shape checks.

edited for accuracy

The Glyphstone
2016-12-15, 05:02 PM

That is how it works - you don't have a separate HP pool between forms, your total Hit Dice and Hit Points are consistent.

A 1st-level fighter bitten by a Werewolf would have 1d10+2d8 hit dice, average 14+(Con*3) HP. His ECL would be 5, 3 hit dice plus 2 Level Adjustment as an Afflicted Lycantrope.

If he is a Natural lycanthrope, his ECL becomes 6.

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level

To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Eisfalken
2016-12-15, 10:19 PM

Okay. You just gotta read the template, apply each component to a character as you come to it.

I'm a little confused how you think adding "animal HD" split up the hit points at all. It doesn't say that anywhere. Not even once. Heck, if you just read the werewolf stat block, it clearly shows you that EACH form has the same hit points.

He has 1 HD and 1d10 (+ Con bonus) hit points from fighter. He gets an additional 2 HD and 2d8+6 hit points from his animal type, which is wolf (MM pg. 283). This makes him 3 HD with 1d10 (+ Con bonus) + 2d8 + 6 hit points.

His base ECL is 3: 1 from class level, +2 for being afflicted (as the template rules state).

And, if I want to houserule that all lycanthropes are natural, rather than afflicted, what would change?

First off, nobody can become a werewolf or whatever later. You are literally starting at level 1 with a lycanthrope. Without some kind of magic or other effect, if you aren't born a were-creature, you can never become one later.

Second, they never make Control Shape skill checks. Natural were-beasts can change whenever they want. You may give them some artificial reason to prefer to wait to the full moon, but a natural lycanthrope can go hybrid/animal in the middle of the day during the new moon time of month, and doesn't change because they got hurt.

That's pretty much it. The only other changes are social and thus subjective. If there is no affliction, it means that lycanthropy can't be spread like a disease, and natural lycanthropes are fully in control of themselves, so the overall general reaction is bound to be at least marginally more positive. Lycanthropes may have their own tribes, culture, etc., or they may integrate seemlessly into society.

CharonsHelper
2016-12-15, 10:25 PM
If you want them to level up the werewolf stuff as a class - check here - http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a

It basically puts the cool werewolf stuff (DR/nat armor/bonus feat etc.) in the LA levels which give you no HD (if you're an afflicted lycanthrope - you can't take the 3rd level - though I think they messed up and you should get the hybrid shape at 2nd), and the wolf HD, which are a bit subpar, but they give you the stat boosts. They're not bad choices for a martial if it fits the narrative (besides the Chaotic Evil thing - which is sounds like you're changing).