PDA

View Full Version : Spells that dispell fear

drack
2016-12-15, 05:17 PM
So, I'm trying out my first fear based character, and managed to get the whole affair of making people terrified in order. Overcoming immunity, buying enough time to scare them, ect. ...but then I hit a snag. That pesky level 1 spell "remove fear". It's not immunity, it's removing a negative status condition, so your fear effects can't be made in a way to override it. So my solution was getting an item to automatically counter it, like a ring of counter-spells. Thing is, for that approach you need to know the spells that remove the fear conditions before hand. I'll periodically update them into this top post, but does anyone know any other such spells? (Remember, spells that remove all negative status conditions count.)

remove fear
heal
greater restoration

Edit: Assume all 1st party sources are approved.

Calthropstu
2016-12-15, 06:24 PM
A ring of counterspells only affects spells that target you.

I think you're SOL here, only way I can think of this working is to cast spell immunity against the specified spells, and quicken the fear effect.

drack
2016-12-15, 06:33 PM
Ahh... actually you're right...

That certainly makes it trickier, still, thanks for reminding me. Woulda been a huge waste that way. :smalltongue:

barakaka
2016-12-15, 09:08 PM
You're really not trying hard enough if you've stopped here, son.

Look yonder to the wonders of the Magic Item Compendium. There, on page 127, you'll find the Ring of Spell Battle. It lets you use Spellcraft to identify spells happening within 60 feet, and once per day spend an immediate to counter or redirect a given spell. Remember, you'll be using the ring's caster level to counter the spell, not your own; as well it's only a Dispel Magic, not Greater Dispel.

However, you don't only need to use the ring for it's 1/day activation. You now have knowledge of all spells cast around you with a very high Spellcraft skill. Use readied actions or the spell Celerity to counter your enemies for days.

Dispel Magic and Dispel Magic, Greater can be used with the above tactics to counter any spell. If you're a prepared caster, it's tough because it means you have to ready a bunch of the same spell each day. If you're a spontaneous caster, it means you can just have one/two of those spells known, and then go on with your day. For spontaneous casters, there are prestige classes that can help too, Sand Shaper and Mage of the Arcane Order can be used to expand your spells known. Very handy.

Get the Mad Alchemist feat. If you ever find yourself in a situation where there's an antimagic field around you, you're 0ft-20ft away from an enemy, and they're an Initiate of Mystra; ready actions to throw thunderstones whenever they begin casting. The Mad Alchemist feat forces them to make a Concentration check opposed by your Craft Alchemy check. An unoptimized skill check vs an optimized one is a pretty good bet that they'll be countered.

Do not falter! Never surrender! You'll be the caster killer that your martial party members need! Be a beacon of no fun that echoes throughout history!

Venger
2016-12-15, 11:27 PM
what level is your character going to be?

if this is just a list of everything that'll accomplish your goal, technically spell stowaway does it, but isn't very practical.

as ever, the handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809) is helpful.

dread witch allows you to ignore fear immunity to a limited degree, so may be of interest to you.

if that doesn't interest you, it may be worthwhile to roll a divine caster of some flavor and load up with divine defiance. always walk around with plenty of dispels up (or remove fears since they're cheaper) .perhaps a focused dispeller cleric featuring a church inquisitor dip. and you'll be knocking down remove fears as often as you want.

also watch out for resurgence. it doesn't dispel fear exactly, but it'll give people another save (if applicable) the nice thing about divine defiance is it works against any spell, so that wouldn't require a new way of countering it.

drack
2016-12-16, 12:23 AM
It's a level 22 game, which seems somewhat sub-optimal for fear, but that's fine. If nothing else I've got more levels then I need for classes and feats.

Ay, got dread witch, and gonna nab items to auto-counter with remove fear and something that can be used against most spells, probably miracle. Alas dispel doesn't scale well into epic so I'll be going with the method of countering spells with themselves. Avoiding counterspell trees because readied actions bump you down to acting a round after they trigger, which even if you get something like 4/round, really just means you have 4 uses until you give them a round to do whatever you're trying to stop them from doing as much as they want.

Perhaps I'm being greedy or paranoid by trying to plug all the holes, but it's an old habit from when epic PvPs were more popular.

Mmm, actually, I have plenty of feats open, I guess I will nab divine defiance just-in-case and leave some slots to such spells. I'd forgotten it was an immediate rather then a readied, and while it may seem like overkill, I'd probably set aside miracles to emulate the spell to counter or go with improved counterspell since opposed checks have a reasonable margin of failure.

Venger
2016-12-16, 12:51 AM
It's a level 22 game, which seems somewhat sub-optimal for fear, but that's fine. If nothing else I've got more levels then I need for classes and feats.

Ay, got dread witch, and gonna nab items to auto-counter with remove fear and something that can be used against most spells, probably miracle. Alas dispel doesn't scale well into epic so I'll be going with the method of countering spells with themselves. Avoiding counterspell trees because readied actions bump you down to acting a round after they trigger, which even if you get something like 4/round, really just means you have 4 uses until you give them a round to do whatever you're trying to stop them from doing as much as they want.

Perhaps I'm being greedy or paranoid by trying to plug all the holes, but it's an old habit from when epic PvPs were more popular.

Mmm, actually, I have plenty of feats open, I guess I will nab divine defiance just-in-case and leave some slots to such spells. I'd forgotten it was an immediate rather then a readied, and while it may seem like overkill, I'd probably set aside miracles to emulate the spell to counter or go with improved counterspell since opposed checks have a reasonable margin of failure.

Ok, well if you're playing epic, the jam spell stowaway in there while you're at it.

drack
2016-12-16, 12:58 AM
Ok, well if you're playing epic, the jam spell stowaway in there while you're at it.

Not sue that helps... :smallconfused: Looking to keep them from loosing the fear, not to loose it with them.

Crake
2016-12-16, 02:39 AM
If you're epic level, why not get yourself an item of mind blank, for blanket immunity to mind affecting and divinations? That' covers all fear effects, and also stops a dread witch from hitting you, since you're not immune to fear, you're immune to mind affecting (which we have gone through and debated that immunity to mind affecting isn't immunity to fear, but it is immunity to fear attacks, so dread witch doesn't bypass it).

And of course, immunity to mind affecting and divinations in general is pretty damn sweet.

This is the thread in question by the way. (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409094-Craven-and-Mind-Blank)

The TLDR was that there are fear effects that aren't fear attacks (the example I managed to find was phobias from heros of horror) that also are not mind affecting. Since only fear attacks are explicitly called out as always being mind affecting, other fear effects need to be mentioned as such, and phobias are not, thus mind blank would not help against them, proving that immunity to mind affecting and immunity to fear are not the same thing. The thread was applying this to whether or not someone could have craven and mind blank at the same time, but the same argument extends to a dread witch's ability to pierce immunity to fear, and I believe it came up several times in the thread.

Mordaedil
2016-12-16, 05:22 AM
I love that the level 4 spell Phantasmal Killer is actually just a fear spell that is so effective that it straight up murders the target.

Inevitability
2016-12-16, 10:09 AM
Battlemagic Perception + boosted spellcraft + boosted dispel modifiers?

Arcane Disciple (Inquisition) may be a good idea if it fits your build.