PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder New player needs warpriest advice!

JPFury
2016-12-15, 06:44 PM
So I am new to Pathfinder and to tabletop gaming in general. I am starting a new AP with some friends. There are 5 in the party and the GM. One of the party members as well as the GM have a lot of D&D experience, but the rest of us are totally new to this. We are starting this weekend and running Rise of the Runelords. We are planning to run the full campaign and starting from the beginning at level 1. We will not be using a point buy system. I am assuming because we are all really new to this the GM is being incredibly generous with how we can build our characters. For stats, we will be rolling 5d6 and dropping the lowest 2 dice for each stat. If we roll lower than 12 for a stat, we are allowed to reroll it.

So far we have a ranger (ranged), rogue (melee? still undecided but I am taking a guess), wizard, and bloodrager (melee). As we have no healer I was going to play a cleric, which I was not thrilled about, until I found the warpriest. I know that the warpriest will not be as efficient, or have as early access to spells, or spells higher level than 6, but I figure we can supplement with wands and scrolls if need be.

To make my choice even worse (I am assuming), I want to go TWF dual wielding kukris for their crit range, since sacred weapon will boost my regular damage anyway. I have seen some people saying this works really well and puts out a lot of damage. My problem is that I have no idea how to effectively build this character and really can't find a decent guide for it anywhere.

So I guess my first question would be how to effectively build this character through traits and skills. Second would be, is this really a terrible idea? Should I go with just a boring 2 hander and suck it up?

Oh and I would be most likely going human for the bonus feat stat boost.

Thanks in advance!

Pex
2016-12-15, 07:22 PM
There is a trait, I forget the name, that whenever you get a luck bonus you get another +1. It doesn't seem at first to be that great as you wait and wait hoping one day you'll get a luck stone. Then it dawns on you. You can cast Divine Favor.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-12-15, 07:46 PM
If you're going human, use that bonus feat so you can start with Two-Weapon Fighting and Weapon Finesse. You don't need a stat boost.

Krazzman
2016-12-16, 04:58 AM
If you want to heal and still do stuff I think Warpriest would be a good one. Elsewise an Oracle of Life/Paladin in short called oradin might be up to your liking too.

About fighting style:
Indeed two-handing a big weapon is generally easier as you only need power attack and be done. For TWF kukri is indeed a strong option.
Seconding the advice to go with human. You will need the dex anyway as such you might as well go for weapon finesse unless you roll really well and get str and dex at 16-18.
Don't take two weapon defense, it's not that good.

Hope this helps.