PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed New to Forums - Running Arctic Campaign - 3.0 D&D - Suggestions

DMironhawk
2016-12-15, 08:49 PM
Hello from Jovek, the arctic region of Saldrothas the fictional D&D world that my players hail from. I have been DMing off and on for the last three or four years, and I feel like I am coming into my own as a DM finally after years of work (my prep work for the game has become more fluid and less stressful than in the past). I currently have three players in my campaign with two guys as backup in case my normal players have prior arrangements. I enjoy the lean three player group as it leads to more rapidfire turns and less downtime.

Currently my party is stuck on Jovek an arctic continent. Six months out of the year the ocean around Jovek ices over, this means that no ships travel to Jovek for half of the year...my party was unlucky enough to be on the last ship going to Jovek for the season. There is a silver lining for the party however, much of the northern region of the continent is unexplored due to the harshness of the climate, and many believe that ruins of an ancient civilization are scattered across the icy north. As the stories go, where there are unexplored ruins there are also unknown treasures, and of course a bit of peril.

Players are trying to track down the location of a certain mountain pass. They have been tipped off thata ranger may know of its location, but he is a bit of a solitary creature. A local wizard has marked the location
of the rangers lair on the parties map and they are off to try and coerce directions out of him, but the wizard has warned the party that the ranger prefers not to be bothered and has set up a network of deterrence to avoid visitors.

-------
Thanks for taking the time to read a bit about my campaign. I am having a blast running it. I am always on the look out for great arctic encounters, traps, enemies, etc. I am using the 3.5 Frostburn book as a reference for a lot of things, but I also like to hear great ideas from players and DMs as well.

If you have any questions about the campaign feel free to ask them.

I am always interested in bouncing arctic encounter ideas off of DMs and players as well.

Bad Wolf
2016-12-15, 08:53 PM
Half-white dragon/red dragon is always fun.

Telonius
2016-12-15, 09:09 PM
I'd always jump at an opportunity to throw some Yak Folk at the party, and this seems like it would actually be a really appropriate time. You've got the unexplored frigid mountains, with a hidden mountain pass; perfect for a Shangri-La, creepy or otherwise.

DMironhawk
2016-12-15, 09:49 PM
Half-white dragon/red dragon is always fun.

Maybe towards the end of the campaign, right now they are only level 5, so a dragon would be a bit of a party wipe, sorry I should have mentioned their level.

DMironhawk
2016-12-15, 09:50 PM
I'd always jump at an opportunity to throw some Yak Folk at the party, and this seems like it would actually be a really appropriate time. You've got the unexplored frigid mountains, with a hidden mountain pass; perfect for a Shangri-La, creepy or otherwise.

This is a pretty cool NPC or enemy idea, I may use this in the coming days, thanks for the suggestion!

DrMotives
2016-12-15, 11:07 PM
Lots of stuff is good for an arctic campaign. While I'm sure Frostburn is where you first went to look, I do feel like mentioning the ships in FB that can convert to sail-powered ice sleds with a few hours work.
Other sources you might check out are the ice elementals from Manual of the Planes; the Taer from Unapproachable East, which are possibly the only size medium giants ever published (mini-yetis, intended as a PC race); and the WotC "Far Corners of the World" articles for ice. Those are http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030323a , http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030223a , and http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030124a .

I know you said low level, but if you do mess with dragons, remember there are lots out there with a favored terrain of cold / arctic. White, Chrome, Crystal, & Silver all like frozen landscapes.

DMironhawk
2016-12-18, 10:30 PM
Thank you, there are some very good resources here!

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-19, 03:14 PM
Wendigo Storms.

Purple worm cattle (yak folk?) And rustlers? Maybe ripoff an old western plot? Maybe catch the purple worm ruslers before the seasonal wendigo storms rip through?

DMironhawk
2016-12-20, 12:40 AM
Wendigo Storms.

Purple worm cattle (yak folk?) And rustlers? Maybe ripoff an old western plot? Maybe catch the purple worm ruslers before the seasonal wendigo storms rip through?

Awesome ideas here, keep them coming.

How about non combat environmental encounters or hazards? I have had them fall through ice already, and get
separated in a blizzard, also they have taken some cold damage from exposure.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-20, 01:50 AM
If they haven't made it through the pass yet, a white-out in the mountains can be deadly even without incorporating any of the magical hazards included in Frostburn's environmental hazard section. Just being lost in the cold, unforgiving country could quickly lead to concerns over food and water running out and randoom encounters can make that worse.

DMironhawk
2016-12-22, 02:22 PM
If they haven't made it through the pass yet, a white-out in the mountains can be deadly even without incorporating any of the magical hazards included in Frostburn's environmental hazard section. Just being lost in the cold, unforgiving country could quickly lead to concerns over food and water running out and randoom encounters can make that worse.

Well said, though I have considered most of this in the past, still some very good stuff here! Thanks!