PDA

View Full Version : The Main Setting of Pathfinder Is...?

AtlanteanTroll
2016-12-15, 11:59 PM
This is a very noobish question, but I've been away from role playing for a while, and it's always confused me. Golarion is the main "world" on the material plane in Pathfinder, but The Inner Sea is the main setting for the various adventure paths?

Zakerst
2016-12-16, 12:14 AM
You're on the right track in the same way one might say that the plane we exist on is "Earth" and most adventure paths might be written to be in "the continental United States" just an example to help make things clearer. Does that help any?

Palanan
2016-12-16, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll
Golarion is the main "world" on the material plane in Pathfinder, but The Inner Sea is the main setting for the various adventure paths?

That's the essence of it. Golarion is the world, and the Inner Sea region is the area that's been most thoroughly detailed--amounting to the western portion of one continent and the northern portion of another, separated by the Inner Sea. Whether intentionally or not, it parallels the Forgotten Realms, in the sense that Toril is the entire planet, and Faerūn proper is the western portion of a larger continent.

As for the adventure paths, it's safe to say that most of them are in the Inner Sea region, but at least one (Jade Regent) takes the PCs across the north pole into Tian Xia, which is Golarion's fantasy version of China. Offhand I can't think of another AP that's outside of the Inner Sea region, but there's probably more.

Tvtyrant
2016-12-16, 12:44 AM
It's own thing!
"And the gun and alchemy rules are?"
Part of it!
https://typeset-beta.imgix.net/rehost/2016/10/25/30b714ea-7b1b-4396-8346-3f3bbec27c8d.png?w=740&h=437&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Coidzor
2016-12-16, 01:42 AM
It's own thing!
"And the gun and alchemy rules are?"
Part of it!
https://typeset-beta.imgix.net/rehost/2016/10/25/30b714ea-7b1b-4396-8346-3f3bbec27c8d.png?w=740&h=437&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

...What on earth...?

That's the essence of it. Golarion is the world, and the Inner Sea region is the area that's been most thoroughly detailed--amounting to the western portion of one continent and the northern portion of another, separated by the Inner Sea. Whether intentionally or not, it parallels the Forgotten Realms, in the sense that Toril is the entire planet, and Faerūn proper is the western portion of a larger continent.

As for the adventure paths, it's safe to say that most of them are in the Inner Sea region, but at least one (Jade Regent) takes the PCs across the north pole into Tian Xia, which is Golarion's fantasy version of China. Offhand I can't think of another AP that's outside of the Inner Sea region, but there's probably more.

IIRC, Skull & Shackles and Kingmaker are also both outside of the Inner Sea proper, but within the region's sphere of influence.

legomaster00156
2016-12-16, 02:15 AM
Nope. Kingmaker is in the River Kingdoms (part of the Inner Sea), and Skulls and Shackles is in the Shackles (loosely a part of the Inner Sea).

Firest Kathon
2016-12-16, 04:59 AM

The end of Reign of Winter patially takes place on
Earth

Psyren
2016-12-16, 10:04 AM
There are also a few trips to other planes and even planets. But yes, most adventures are set in the Inner Sea region, and most of the iconics are from the countries there and/or have strong ties to the area.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-16, 11:34 AM
Heck, isn't there one random small town that every adventure starts out in? I seem to recall being told something to that effect when I joined a PF adventure path...

Vhaidara
2016-12-16, 02:15 PM
Heck, isn't there one random small town that every adventure starts out in? I seem to recall being told something to that effect when I joined a PF adventure path...

IIRC, 2 APs (Rise of the Runelords and Jade Regent) start in Sandpoint, which is basic Ye' Olde Smalle Towne.

A lot of Pathfinder Society Scenarios start you off in Absalom, which is in the middle of the Inner Sea, but it's not small (and it's more "you get your mission here then they send you WAY over there")

Tvtyrant
2016-12-16, 11:18 PM
...What on earth...?

It was an SNL skit this year called David Pumpkins, I thought it was more popular than it may have been...

RedWarlock
2016-12-17, 01:53 AM
I got it, I wanted to reply to offer kudos, but didn't want to reply for JUST that.

(seriously, I stopped dead laughing, it was perfect. Made me go rewatch the skit this afternoon.)

Anyway, yes, Golarian, Inner sea, quite right, *cough*. Carry on.

Seriously, though, Absalom still doesn't quite sit with me. It feels like it's trying to be Stormreach and Sharn at the same time. (But I'm an Eberron fanboy, so don't mind me.)