PDA

View Full Version : Music for campaigns?

StaleGoat
2016-12-16, 02:25 AM
Hi there!

So for the first time my group's doing a campaign at my house where I can play music for them, and I'm making a playlist for the DM to use, but I need some help. I have categories for city, fighting, wandering, and ominous but each one only has around 20 - 30 songs each, and I don't want the playlists to get repetitive to the players so I need more.

Right now I have music from the soundtracks of Lord of The Rings, The Hobbit, Skyrim, Conan The Barbarian and the Title Themes from Morrowind and Oblivion, as well as what Critical Role uses. There's not many in these I can use though because they go from peaceful to battle music quickly and I wanted things that are obviously separated.

Can anyone give me a hand? What music do you use?

Professor Chimp
2016-12-16, 03:54 AM
As well as the ones you've mentioned already, I use music from Final Fantasy, Zelda, Castlevania, Soul Calibur, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, The Witcher, God of War, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dragon Quest and a whole host of western and japanese rpgs. While they have wildly different styles, I enjoy the variety and having something for every situation, from the comedic and whimsical to epic, 'the world is ending' stuff.

While it's probably not what you're looking for, I also use a lot of music from the Metroid franchise, but that's mostly because there are several locations in my current campaign that are inspired by it.

M Placeholder
2016-12-16, 07:21 AM
Here are some more themes I can recommend -

Planescape Torment - has some excellent battle music that transitions pretty well, in addition to an otherworldly and gritty feel. The theme also has the perfect soundtrack to those moments when the party brings to the light the past of characters.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer -Has some great themes for battles (Immil Vale, Fugue Plane), and the soundtrack that plays when you are standing in Myrkuls ribcage talking to whats left of him is excellent for otherworldly situations

Shadow of the Colossus - Another great soundtrack, this one is great for for climatic battles and the times leading up to those battles. It also gives the feeling of a shattered world - at least for me it does.

Freed
2016-12-16, 05:14 PM
I like to use Never split the party when the party splits and Green Bird if some player-aligned city or tower ETC is falling to the ground destroyed. Beyond that, I would be able to help more with more info to what kind of campaign.

Hawkstar
2016-12-18, 03:16 AM
I like to use music by Two Steps From Hell.

"He Who Brings The Night" is amazing BBEG fight music, as are "Starvation", "Fire Mountain", "Flameheart", "Fearless", and

"Dark Ages" is a nice Isengard theme-alike.

"Release Me" is great for Sci-Fi campaigns when introducing something that's supposed to be emotionally inspiring, whether it's their new ship (Think the USS Enterprise/Forward Unto Dawn/Normandy), or great big space station (Mass Effect's Citadel, for example). "Protecters of the Earth" is great for when the players need to start being epic.

"Flight of the Silverbird" is great for any fantasy settings with airships, IMO.

If the party's traveling through Nordic-style areas, "Winterspell" is amazing, while "Sun and Moon" and "Big Sky" are great for travelling across barren areas.

"Blackheart" is a perfect waltz for the Masquerade Ball of Intrigue.

They also have some nice naval combat themes, depending on the scale - "Norwegian Pirate", "Magicka", and "1000 Ships of the Underworld"

"The Colonel' is great for frontline pre-battle meetings, especially if someone has a dramatic speech to give.

From game soundtracks, Age of Wonders III has a few nice ones for more peaceful situations.