PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build and charcter concept optimization question - Blood Hunter (Order of the Lycan)

KeepItC00L
2016-12-16, 04:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently joined my first D&D game and I started playing blood hunter. The basic character concept is to have super mobile glaive using battlefield controller who is kind of "monster hunter with a feel for justice and nature". Could you please give me some adive about the progression I should take? We rolled for the 5 stats and the last one was given by DM after we assigned the first 5. At first level the character stats look like:

Str 14
Dex 16 (By DM)
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 14
Cha 10

Race: Variant Human (Magic Initiate - Find Familiar + Mending and Prestidigitation for RP reasons)

I took the Curse of Binding to have with battlefield control. WeŽre about to hit level 3 in the party and I think I will pick order of the Lycan. Was thinking about the Order of Mutant at first (use of mutagens to debuff enemies seems kinda nice but will need our party rogue to utilize it) or Order of Ghostslayer (Radiant crimson rite, gravesight and no limit on curse targets seemed intriguing) but in the end it will be Lycan order. Probably will go Blood Hunter to lvl 20.

Note: Not sure yet if we will use the "Mark" optional rule (hopefully yes). This will make the build considerably more fun to play tactically.

My questions are is it necesery to boost primary stat (Str) to 20 or can I go feat heavy as I intend (written below). Second question is about the ideal order of the feats. At 20th level the build should look like (with included stats that are important for the character concept imho):

No change to stats
Feats:
Magic Initiate - from variant human
Polearm master (mainly for AoO when enemies enter reach)
Sentinel (Lot of battlefield control, God I hope weŽll use mark)
Mobile (no AoO on myself after attack and 10ft of movement, yes please)
Observant (see the note on passive perception below, was thinking about alert but try to surprise me with observat lycan)
Medium Armor Master (stealth and max bonus from Dex, usefull but probably not that essential)

Passive perception: 21 (26 for smell and hearing - if I understand correctly the rules having advantage equals to +5 to passive) - not sure if this is high or not but at this moment in game it looks to me that it is something like - You remeber that guy from yesterday, he just farted 3 blocks to the left (a bit too much but you know what I mean)

With no big bonus from stats I was afraid of the Hit chance for BIG enemies. But I did some math and in the Hybrid form I would have 51% chance to hit AC24 (Ancient Red Dragon if I remember correctly?)

Speed: This is what I call mobile - 30ft base + 10 ft mobile feat + 10 ft Lycan lvl 7 + 10ft Blood Hunter in dim light = very nice 60ft per round

What I am really afraid of is vision, since Human doesnt have Darkvision it could be a problem. This is probably a question for DM but I think heightened senses on smell and hearing could function as darkvision in negating the disadvantage. For exploration I have my trusty owlcat that can sit on my shoulder and I can see through her eyes.

Just a note as I read through the Monk Unearthed Arcana, would it be better to go 14BH/6Kensai? That way I would have Dex mod for Glaive and another 15ft to movement. But I would trade a lot of BH abilities (advantage on attack - can have it from familiar help, no dmg from crimson rite and curses, advantage on maintaning control and one more use of hybrid form.

Thanks for getting this far into the post and for all your replies.