PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Keeper 1 multiplayer

Malek
2007-07-16, 03:12 PM
Question to people who still play first Dungeon Keeper - anyone ever managed to make it run in multiplayer mode? I tried it before but couldn't make it work even with Hamachii, so any help would be nice.

Ranis
2007-07-16, 03:29 PM
What is Dungeon Keeper?

SITB
2007-07-16, 04:26 PM
Dungeon Keeper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Keeper), basically you are the overmind the orchestrates the attack of all that is vile on the surface. You entice evil creatures by the lure of gold and the chance to rip some heroes a new one(Also rooms; for example, as trolls will only enter your dungeon if you have a workshop).

In the second game(as my memories of the first are muddled at best), you have the quest to collect all the mystical gems that bind you and you servants into the underground. Along the way you will encounter many wretched do-gooders who will attempt to destroy you(also some other Keepers, as it seems everybody wants to race to the surface).

Your control is mainly to designate where the imps will dig, purchasing rooms, using spells, and "taking care" of prisnores.

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-16, 05:54 PM
I've played it, pretty sure I've got it sitting around somewhere, but I've never really had someone to play it with, so I dunno about making it work. What connection mode are you using?

:edit: Did some searching, if you're using IPX, get this (http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=pc&file=dkeepw98.zip&ref=ps).

Lenlalron
2007-07-16, 09:29 PM
Heh, did you guys play DK2? How was it?

I loved DK1, at least. Was clever and unique at the time.

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-17, 06:02 PM
well, I managed to find my copy, so if someone wants to try some multiplayer Dungeon Keeper, perhaps we can run into and figure out the issue the OP has.

Cpt. Sqweky
2007-07-17, 09:22 PM
Man, Dungeon Keeper was a great game. I still have my copy... somewhere... It might be with my stuff at college though, so, if that's true I can't get at it for a couple months yet. But I'd like to try MP out sometime. Never had anyone to play with back then.

Ahhhh... the good-ol' days of dial-up modems. (not all that far back for me...)

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-17, 09:28 PM
incidently, theres a parameter you can set to be able to play multiplayer against a CPu opponent, gimme a moment to search the internets, and I'll have it.
:edit: its -1player

Elliot Kane
2007-07-18, 01:09 PM
DK1 is one of the best PC games ever made, IMO. DK2 is rubbish - don't touch it with a barge pole. Honestly.

I've never played it multiplayer though, sorry.

Malek
2007-07-18, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the link to those files NEO|Phyte - I'll check them out when I have time :)

sateryn
2007-07-18, 05:07 PM
okay, so here's the answers to a few questions:

1. do not play DK in multiplayer - it's utterly and completely horrible.
DK is a friggin' awesome game, but it's core design elements were simply not built around the idea of multiplayer, and there are 3 huge obstacles to having a decent mplayer game:
a. multiplyer map selection sucks
b. there is no map editor/builder
c. mplayer games break down one of two ways: you both tunnel directly into the other person's base (not real hard to figure out where it is) and have a long boring slog of ants and beetles, or it's just a race to who can make the most traps and then use the call to heart spell.

2. DK2 is not anywhere remotely near as good as DK1 - they went from a really gritty and 'evil' feel in the first DK to a kind of... warcraft3 polygonal 'we're putting more effort into making this look cool than making it a good game' feel, which really just doesn't work for the series.
DK2 isn't a bad game, and it's worth playing if you can find it, but it isn't even in the same league and Dk1.

Malek
2007-07-18, 06:02 PM
b. there is no map editor/builder

Nu-uh. There is an map editor for DK - I even have it on HDD. Now wether such made maps can be used for multiplayer is another question.

c. mplayer games break down one of two ways: you both tunnel directly into the other person's base (not real hard to figure out where it is) and have a long boring slog of ants and beetles, or it's just a race to who can make the most traps and then use the call to heart spell.

This is an entirely based on mentality of the players - it's like rushing in starcraft: There are people that consciounsly avoid it not to spoil the fun.

terror_drone
2007-07-18, 06:51 PM
Its been awhile but I know I had the multiplayer working at sometime but really if you want to have a similar experience I suggest Overlord

Its got a lot of the flavor of Dungeon Keeper but brought up to date and the graphics + humor make it a lasting game.

Malek
2007-07-19, 05:04 AM
Yessss, true that DK looks very fun and very DK-ish, but sadly it isn't for me - my damn video card doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0, and I can't expect upgrad too soon :smallmad:

Malek
2007-07-20, 09:13 AM
*sigh* Seems that DK denies my multiplayer even with Hamachi and those files. We tried with my friend but didn't see each other... shame really.

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-20, 12:10 PM
*sigh* Seems that DK denies my multiplayer even with Hamachi and those files. We tried with my friend but didn't see each other... shame really.

Hang on...

*checks something*

Have you set your Hamachi network connection to use the IPX/SPX protocol? I didn't notice TCP/IP in the game type list, and IPX isn't used by default.

Gralamin
2007-07-20, 12:16 PM
Are you trying to play through a router? It may be attempting to move through a port that you have blocked by a firewall or other device.

Malek
2007-07-20, 01:54 PM
@NEO|Phyte - yep, we both added the IPX protocol to hamachi connection - without it, DK didn't even allow choosing IPX

@Gralamin - I have router but I've set u port forwarding, and no firewall was active so that's not it.

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-20, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, can other games properly connect through Hamachi?

Elliot Kane
2007-07-21, 03:39 AM
Just had one thought - are you running the same versions of DK? If one of you is running Gold and the other Original, or you have different graphic settings for the game, might that make a difference?

Malek
2007-07-21, 04:25 AM
We both used gold version and use d3d exe's ;P As for hamachii question, yes I do recall using it successfully in past.

Elliot Kane
2007-07-21, 09:44 AM
I'm completely stumped then, Malek, sorry :(

TRIzol
2007-08-04, 06:44 PM
Finally I can share the solution to play Dungeon Keeper/Deeper Dungeons using Hamachi with you. You have to follow this solution http://www.hamachi-games.ic.cz/index.php?page=14 using the aliases.txt-file. Furthermore we have installed the IPX-protocol on the Hamachi adapter, set the Frame Type to Ethernet II, have switched off the IPX-protocol on the LAN-Adapter. I hope that this will work for you too!