PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Shifters

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-16, 06:11 AM
I have a few questions regarding Shifters in 5e:

- First off, is it me or are they a bit weak? Given how little they start with, it seems like their ability might as well be "For 1 minute per short rest, you can be as good as one of the other races is all the time."

- Is there any value in a Druid (either type) being a Shifter? I ask because it seems quite thematic, but at the same time the Shifter abilities seem absolutely dreadful for them.

- Finally, which classes (if any) benefit most from being Shifters?

RickAllison
2016-12-16, 07:23 AM
I'm just going to answer the first question: It is not just you.

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-16, 07:30 AM
I'm just going to answer the first question: It is not just you.

Shame.

I really like the idea fluffwise, but I've never been a fan of shooting my character in the foot for the sake of fluff. :smalltongue:

Arkhios
2016-12-16, 07:36 AM
I thought I'd throw my two copper pieces on this matter...

I have a few questions regarding Shifters in 5e:

- First off, is it me or are they a bit weak? Given how little they start with, it seems like their ability might as well be "For 1 minute per short rest, you can be as good as one of the other races is all the time."

First off, Shifters (and Eberron Unearthed Arcana) were among the first "officially homebrewed" materials, and unsurprisingly they might feel a bit weak than others. Design has evolved alot after that. I would imagine that once Shifters get their next iteration, they might be a bit more powerful. For obvious reasons I can't vouch for it, though. I would probably give Shifters +1 to Wisdom by default, in addition to +1 Dexterity they already have, and have the sub-race to apply on that.

It also occured to me just now, that did you read that the Shifter sub-races would get the other +1 to an ability score only when shifting? Because they don't. They only get additional Shifting feature from the sub-race; the another +1 to an ability score is always on.

- Is there any value in a Druid (either type) being a Shifter? I ask because it seems quite thematic, but at the same time the Shifter abilities seem absolutely dreadful for them.

Well, for a Moon Circle druid I would think that Shifting might not be that valuable, unless you let the Shifting ability to affect your wild shape as well. Personally, I could see that happen, but it might not be what was intended. Considering that a Land Druid is more focused on spellcasting aspect of the druid, meaning they are not that inclined to use wild shape all the time, Shifting might come in more handy for them.

- Finally, which classes (if any) benefit most from being Shifters?

Well, given that all shifters have +1 to Dexterity, pretty much any class can benefit from the race, except maybe Paladin (if you follow slavishly their suggested playstyle).

Each sub-race, however, adds a lot of versatility to the class choices:

Constitution +1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
Barbarian and Fighter could especially benefit from this sub-race quite a bit, if you're looking for a defender-type character. Even a Paladin could work. Definitely a druid, too; IF Shifting applies to Wild Shape.

Dexterity +1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you gain a climb speed of 30 feet.
It has a Dexterity +2 total, so pretty much any class that relies on high dexterity. Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue especially, but also casters such as Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard (although, admittedly, most casters can either cast fly or spider climb to bypass an obstacle that requires climbing).

Dexterity +1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you can use the Dash action as a bonus action.
As with Cliffwalk, but likely any class that would benefit from Bonus Action Dash the most (without spending additional resources): Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue. Why not a Bard, as well.
Although, I think it's a bit unimaginative to have another sub-race to give a +1 to Dexterity.

Strength +1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you can make a bite attack as an action. This is a melee weapon attack that uses Strength for its attack roll and damage bonus and deals 1d6 piercing damage. If this attack hits a target that is your size or smaller, the target is also grappled.
Well, hello there, grapplers and Barbarians - or both. Although, I would probably either make the bite attack become available as part of your normal Attack action, or if separate, as a Bonus Action. Of course, also Fighters or even Paladins could benefit from this sub-race.

Dexterity +1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action. You can use your Dexterity for its attack roll and damage bonus, and this attack deals slashing damage.
Again, as before, any class that relies on high dexterity. Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue especially, but also casters such as Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard.
Not only is it boring that this is already the third sub-race that gives a +1 to Dexterity, but also the unarmed strike is just ... lame. I would (and I have) in my games let the unarmed strike deal at least 1d4 slashing damage.

Wisdom +1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you gain advantage on all Wisdom-based checks and saving throws.
Well, that's nice. Perfect for Clerics, Druids, Monks, and Rangers.

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-16, 07:45 AM
I think them getting just +2 total racial ASI is nonsense. Otherwise, they're decent, if not amazing. A big tipping point is how often your DM lets you buff at the threshold of an encounter.

Beasthide +1AC is big on any class that can push towards the upper end of bounded accuracy's AC constraints. A low-level beasthide paladin transformed w/ shield of faith defense style and a shield+plate goes from AC 23 to AC 24, which is going from "needs 19's" to "needs 20's" against something with a +5 to hit, like wereboars (appropriately enough), doubling your mean attacks survived against a gang of 'em, and < doubling the damage you can deal to them before dying.

Cliffwalk is good for low level monks, or for ranged builds. Though birdfolk are, of course, better.

Razorclaw is good for rogues. Right from the get-go, your DPR is higher than a dual-wielder (1d6+3+1d6 = 10, 1d8+3+1+3 = 11.5) and it's nice to not be disarmable.

dejarnjc
2016-12-16, 10:49 AM
I played a level 8 shifter in a one-shot. I found the temporary hit points to be quite a boost. Assuming 2 or three short rests per day, I could have had an extra 22-33 hp with my +3 con mod.

Hard to say how it balanced out though since the one-shot was kinda wonky.