PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an active anime reviewer who treats anime like cinema films.

gomipile
2016-12-16, 08:08 AM
I'm looking for an anime review series which is:

1.) Still being produced on at least a semi-regular schedule.
2.) Uses a style of review similar to What The Flick, Afterbuzz, Siskel and Ebert, or other critical reviewers.
3.) Doesn't constantly mention or compare to anime series that aren't the one currently being reviewed.

Criterion 3 seems to be a sticking point. I like anime well enough, but the reviewers I've run across tend to mention a ton of other anime during a typical review, most of which I have little or no familiarity with and have little or no intention of watching or researching. I'd vastly prefer that they mention genre-spanning themes and tropes in the language of traditional film critics and/or TvTropes than constantly referring to anime series and movies which aren't the topic of the review.

To be fair, the occasional mention is fine, but if a typical review mentions more than three other anime, I start to get increasingly annoyed with each new one added. Glass Reflection, for example, has a review style I otherwise enjoy, but his constant referral to off-topic anime instead of calling out themes and tropes directly peeves me greatly, makes his points harder to understand, and generally detracts from my enjoyment of his reviews.

Avian Overlord
2016-12-16, 04:18 PM
He only reviews anime sporadically, but you should check out this guy. http://sfdebris.com/index.php

gomipile
2016-12-17, 05:10 AM
I should mention that I'm especially hoping to find reviews in this style of Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, Black Butler, Kill La Kill, Shigurui, and xxxHolic.

GloatingSwine
2016-12-19, 05:49 PM
I think there's a fundamental problem in what you're looking for.

Film critics are reviewing unitary complete products, but you're looking for reviews of multipart series that air over the course of a quarter of a year and which inherently have less narrative and thematic motion per episode than a film with because they are 23 minute episodes not a two hour film and are also, if the series is current, reviews of an unfinished product.

Which is probably why reviewers compare to other series. They can't talk about the complete product they're reviewing, because it isn't complete yet, so they have to compare and contrast with similar products that have touched on the same areas.

gomipile
2016-12-19, 07:23 PM
I think there's a fundamental problem in what you're looking for.

Film critics are reviewing unitary complete products, but you're looking for reviews of multipart series that air over the course of a quarter of a year and which inherently have less narrative and thematic motion per episode than a film with because they are 23 minute episodes not a two hour film and are also, if the series is current, reviews of an unfinished product.

Which is probably why reviewers compare to other series. They can't talk about the complete product they're reviewing, because it isn't complete yet, so they have to compare and contrast with similar products that have touched on the same areas.

The few series I really want reviews like this for are complete. Complete individual series runs, at least. Whether the shows will have more series to them, I don't know.