PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What race/class would you use with these stats?

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-16, 08:40 AM
Just rolled the following:

17, 11, 11, 10, 9, 5

Looking for suggestions on what race/class to use with them.

Preferably not warlock or bard, as I've done both too much already.

djreynolds
2016-12-16, 08:47 AM

17, 11, 11, 10, 9, 5

Hill Dwarf nature cleric, can wear heavy armor despite strength. Grab shillelagh and use a club and shield.

Throw 5 in dexterity... you are gonna fail those saves anyhow

M Placeholder
2016-12-16, 08:48 AM
Those are some pretty ugly numbers. My suggestion would be putting the 17 into Intelligence and becoming a Wizard. As for race, I would suggest High Elf and take up Abjuration as a school.

JumboWheat01
2016-12-16, 08:52 AM

17, 11, 11, 10, 9, 5

Wizard could work, they're pretty SAD, just dump Charisma to the ground, you're probably sick of the conversation skills anyway, since you said not to suggest them.

Fighter's got the ASIs to make up for the other stats if you're playing a feat-less game.

Druid's of both stripes are good, both types can drop INT and CHA, Land because WIS is all they really need, Moon because they'll simply ignore the very average physical stats when they transform anyway.

Spectre9000
2016-12-16, 09:07 AM
I think I'd second the druid. Put the 17 into Wisdom, go Hill Dwarf (18 wisdom). When you transform you use the physical stats of that creature, and when you're not, your wisdom is good enough to do quite a bit with your spells.

Alternatively, you could be a tank. Be a Battlemaster Fighter, and put the 17 into Constitution. Help direct the flow of battle for your allies and be a shield to your party. Later, you can try to become a Werebear to get your strength up. As to race, I'd say Dwarf again, for this.

Armored Walrus
2016-12-16, 09:16 AM
Yeah that's Raistlin right there. You'll be sickly, weak, unlikable, but smart enough to outwit the gods.

I think Dark Sun Gnome hit it on the head. Abjuration so you have plenty of ways to keep yourself from being killed.

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-16, 09:24 AM
Some non-full-caster options:

V.Human 18str 12Dex 12Con mental dump Berserker. Resistance and D12 HD makes up for the low defensive stats, the fear / charm immunity compensates for low rentals.

Goblin 19Dex 12Con longbow ranger or battlemaster. You've got the dex to make studded leather OK, and bonus action hide / disengage on a ranged character makes it easier to just avoid being attacked.

Citan
2016-12-16, 09:26 AM

17, 11, 11, 10, 9, 5

Moon Druid is an obvious, since your physical stats depend on Wild Shape. And it would make a very nice chance from Warlock (blaster) and Bard (charismatic, debuffer).

You can switch between frontliner (when you reach some powerful CR beats) and battlefield control spells (Fog Cloud, Plant Growth, Walls) when you are not just conjuring some creatures to do the job in your stead. ;)
Go Wood Elf if you'd like the extra mobility, otherwise Hill Dwarf (IIRC) for the extra Constitution.

Another good obvious one would be Arcane Trickster or Eldricht Knight. You can build it while focusing on DEX, taking Resilient: Constitution (>12) and Observant: INT (>12) along the way. Mage Armor and Mirror Image will give you a great AC. Because you have one or two more ASI than usual, you can even easily bump INT later to 14 if you want to expand your spellcasting at the price of martial features, by dipping Wizard.
You can either wade in melee with weapon cantrips, or hang back at ranged and shoot arrows.
Once you get the "disadvantage on spell" feature, you can occasionally drop some nice debuffs or AOE.
Be a Human here to get great all-around stats (STR 10 / DEX 18 / CON 12 / INT 12 / WIS 11 / CHA 6) or any race that gives +1 in DEX and a bonus in CON or INT.

Even a pure Wizard could actually work, although with more difficulty than the previous ones, since all defense would rely on using spells. Abjurer or Bladesinger would be the best choices (I prefer Bladesinger because you would get a great boost right from the start).
A High Elf would fare great here, with starting 13 DEX and 18 INT, grab Resilient: Dexterity later and you are set. ;) Another great choice would be a Gnome, either Forest (+1 DEX) or Rock (+1 CON) so you can start with 19 INT, bump it along another odd stat. Finally, a stout Halfling so you can have decent DEX and even CON from the start.

Finally, a Nature Cleric would work great too: grab Thorn Whip, don heavy armor: you get a decent attack which does not require you to come too close (so the 10 feet movement penalty is not too bad), which double as a soft control to help a friend by pulling a creature away.
You can tank a bit, as well as buff and protect friends. The little drawback (or not) is the extremely "animal-centric" extra spells.
Water Genasi would be a great choice here, +1 WIS and +2 CON.

All of these are perfectly playable (didn't even take racial bonus into account here) and should feel a nice refresher coming from Warlock/Bard. ;)
EDIT: added some races suggestions (only PHB and Genasi, I'm not aware of all the new races).

Spectre9000
2016-12-16, 09:27 AM
Yeah that's Raistlin right there. You'll be sickly, weak, unlikable, but smart enough to outwit the gods.

I think Dark Sun Gnome hit it on the head. Abjuration so you have plenty of ways to keep yourself from being killed.

I might instead go with bladesinger. He would only need the one stat at that point. Int to AC and concentration saves, increased speed, and advantage on dex(acrobatics) checks. Later he can use spell slots to lessen damage. Arcane Ward is a few hit points every long rest, and although spell resistance is very nice, you get it at level 14 if your character survived that long.

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-16, 11:11 AM
Out of interest, is there a reason why these stats work for a wizard but not for a sorcerer?

JumboWheat01
2016-12-16, 11:13 AM
I suppose there's no reason why they wouldn't, but as the OP already nixed two other CHA-based casters, I figured they'd want something other than a CHA caster.

And Wizards do have easier access to more defensive spells without removing access to offensive, control, support or utility spells. A max of 25 spells + Rituals does allow for a lot of freedom.

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-16, 11:14 AM
I suppose there's no reason why they wouldn't, but as the OP already nixed two other CHA-based casters, I figured they'd want something other than a CHA caster.

I nixed those classes purely because I've played them both too much already and wanted to have a go at something different. :smalltongue:

alchahest
2016-12-16, 11:27 AM
you could be a passable (if frail) half elf paladin - 17+1 in str, 11+1 in con and 11+2 in cha,

you could do the same thing but slighlty differently as a Triton.

Spectre9000
2016-12-16, 11:31 AM
17, 11, 11, 10, 9, 5

Using those numbers, here's the best I got for you:

Take sorcerer favored soul, pick the life, death, or arcane domain (or another if you want, this isn't that important, but are my recommendations). This gives you proficiency with medium armor and shields as well as additional spells not accessible to sorcerers. Go Variant Human(Heavily Armored). You can now have an AC of 20, with the downside of a speed of 20 (Going dwarf nets you only 5 more speed, and you have to wait till lvl 4 to get Heavily Armored).

At this point, I know you don't like Warlock, but taking a two level dip into it, nets you Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast (best blasting cantrip), and Devil's Sight. Now, when you gain the Darkness spell, at the start of combat, move away from your party, cast Darkness, and proceed to act with impunity as the enemy can't hit what they can't see. That is, unless they have blindsight, which isn't common, but dragons have it. It still works for a lot of creatures though. It'll keep archers and spellcasters off you for the most part.

At Sorcerer 4th level, you'll want to take the Tough feat to get your much needed hit points. Then you can take Resilient(Constitution), Spell Sniper (great for keeping you out of range of enemies; 240ft Eldritch Blast; 480ft with distant spell, which would mean you could dimension door away, and blast from a very safe range), Mobile (restore your move speed), or an Ability Score Improvement from then on depending on how you're feeling.

At this point, just work with your DM and party about magic items you find to fill out any weakness you come across in your specific campaign. At character level 17, you can, assuming 20 charisma and quicken spell, do (1d10+5)*8 = 8d10+40 (assuming all hit) pretty consistently (EB + Agonizing Blast + Quicken Spell to cast this twice). This coupled with 20 AC, staying unseen, flying, and plenty of spell slots to do other things, or cannibalize, is pretty potent and resilient for having the stats that you do.

If you take spell sniper and your DM gives you a hard time about seeing 480 ft, take a third level in warlock and take pact of the chain, then use its sight to aim as you can see through it at any distance. You'd still get 9th level spells.

Greeniron
2016-12-16, 03:15 PM
At this point, I know you don't like Warlock, but taking a two level dip into it, nets you Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast (best blasting cantrip), and Devil's Sight. Now, when you gain the Darkness spell, at the start of combat, move away from your party, cast Darkness, and proceed to act with impunity as the enemy can't hit what they can't see. That is, unless they have blindsight, which isn't common, but dragons have it. It still works for a lot of creatures though. It'll keep archers and spellcasters off you for the most part.

Couldnt they just use blur for almost the same effect without having to be a full spell lvl behind?