PDA

View Full Version : Armor Spikes & Grappling Question

Eladrinblade
2016-12-16, 01:35 PM
In the weapons section, under "Spiked Armor", it tells us:

You can outfit your armor with spikes, which can deal damage in a grapple or as a separate attack. See Armor, later in this chapter.

In the armor section, under "Armor Spikes" (why not be consistent when naming it?), it tells us:

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allows you to deal extra piercing damage on a successful grapple attack.

It goes on to say that they can be used as a regular light weapon as well (backing up the statement form the weapons section).

When you make a successful grapple check against an enemy, whether it's a "hold" (step 3 in starting a grapple) or the "damage your opponent" option (separate from "attack your opponent"), you deal damage against said opponent "as if with an unarmed strike" (which are bludgeoning).

I read all of this to mean that when you grapple someone while wearing armor spikes, you deal your unarmed damage in addition to the armor spikes damage. So, for a human fighter, 1d3+str+1d6+str+enhancement or whatever.

My question is: Is there anything that contradicts what I've just said?

You can't say that the armor spikes are "extra" piercing damage just because they are 1d6 and an unarmed strike is 1d3, because somebody with levels in monk can have more than 1d6 unarmed damage, and the text for armor spikes extra damage doesn't address that. Also, unarmed strikes are bludgeon, and the spikes are piercing.

Luccan
2016-12-16, 06:13 PM
I believe the interpretation they intended was 1d6 additional damage, which happens to be piercing.

PacMan2247
2016-12-16, 06:22 PM
What Luccan said. In this instance, both "extra" and "piercing" are adjectives modifying "damage", rather than "extra" modifying "piercing damage".