PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Build help: Mounted scout/warrior that functions indoors

Luccan
2016-12-16, 02:00 PM
I want to build a decent scouting character who uses a mount for tracking and combat and can fit himself and his mount indoors, but I'm inexperienced at building fighting-types and I'm not really sure what would be best. I don't need to be extremely high op, just a build that works. My first thought was a halfling with a riding dog, some levels in ranger, and of course Ride and Handle Animal, along with the mounted combat feats, but beyond that, I'm not sure what else to pick. Help would be appreciated. Assume PH1&2, Complete books, DMG, MMI and UA

Menzath
2016-12-16, 02:45 PM
So this thread
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?104367-The-Supermount-2-0-updated
Has partially relevant information on making a powerful mount. It does use a bit of cheese, I'm sure you can skip bits and tone it down to have a ranger/paladin build that could work.

Luccan
2016-12-16, 03:05 PM
That looks very useful. Thanks

Telok
2016-12-16, 09:08 PM
Halfling, wild cohort, mounted combat, mounted archery.
Rogue 5, Ranger 1, Wild Plains Outrider 2, Swordsage 1.
Magebred, warbeast, wolf with Wild Talent, Speed of Thought, Up The Walls and a training trick to get psionic focus.

Invest in stealth and speed gear and zoom around on puppy at double moves while sneaking. It ought to have enough speed to break line of sight in most areas and still pass within 30 feet of something worth shooting at.

Thurbane
2016-12-17, 07:27 PM
This is one of the few roles Goblins are "OK" at, with their Small size and +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.

Vaz
2016-12-18, 06:01 AM
A spider, or similar creature which can walk on walls and ceilings adds more verticality to the party

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-18, 06:46 AM
A spider, or similar creature which can walk on walls and ceilings adds more verticality to the party

On the druid -3 list, one can find the watchspider.

Mr Adventurer
2016-12-18, 09:20 AM
I thought Halfling Paladins riding Celestial Giant Bees were de rigeur?