PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Which spells/disciplines are missing from the 5th Edition?

CrazyCrab
2016-12-16, 02:21 PM
Hi everyone,
working on a homebrew spellbook, similar to the EE Player Companion and, while I do have some cool ideas, I figured it may be worth it to ask for some suggestions.
So, which spells do you think are missing? Any particular schools you would like expanded upon, or concepts for example? One thing I noticed was the lack of 'Stealth' or 'Ambush' magic, which I will attempt to fix, etc. More time-oriented spells could be nice too.
Thanks!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-16, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone,
working on a homebrew spellbook, similar to the EE Player Companion and, while I do have some cool ideas, I figured it may be worth it to ask for some suggestions.
So, which spells do you think are missing? Any particular schools you would like expanded upon, or concepts for example? One thing I noticed was the lack of 'Stealth' or 'Ambush' magic, which I will attempt to fix, etc. More time-oriented spells could be nice too.
Thanks!

Hey there! I'm inclined to agree about the 'time magic' thing. That's why I made these chronomancy spells (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/01/chronomancy-spells.html), way back when. You can find the rest of my spells (including the chronomancy ones) here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5ii4j22vebleu7/Spells%20with%20Lists.pdf?dl=0); perhaps they can serve as inspiration for you.

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-18, 08:25 AM
netehermancy is missing.its from 4th i liked the idea.

Tempest Critic
2016-12-20, 09:14 AM
In a lot of High fantasy which draws from D&D and, that D&D itself draws from; there are all the elemental magics (fire, lightning cold, etc) nature magic, unholy and divine, and then Arcane. The ideas often being, that raw magic energy, before refined into a magic type, is just a font of the arcane which magic users draw from.

We see it briefly with the Spell Disintegrate, which is described in a such a way as to evoke images of a beam of raw arcane energy, and it deals 'force' damage; which would seem to suggest that 'force' is the D&D equivalent to arcane. But there are really few spells that use force in such a way, or that have such a chaotic and unrefined feel to them, like Disintegrate's high damage or total miss mechanic.

I would personaly love to see more magic spells that deal with a more chaotic and unstable basis, and that even have negative effects to their wielder - a sort of high risk, high reward.