PDA

View Full Version : Archery and the Grid [Feats]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-16, 04:21 PM
Given that ranged combat allows you to fire from a distance, there should be more ways for archers to make use of tactical movement and controlling distance. Feats? ,

Strafe [General]
By showering an area with indirect fire, you can discourage enemy movement.
Requirements: Rapid Shot, Combat Reflexes
Benefit: As a standard action, you can fire 2 unaimed shots into a 5 ft. Radius area to establish suppressing fire in that area. Until the beginning of your next turn, your ranged attacks threaten these spaces with Attacks of Opportunity.

Retreating Shot [General]
Requirements: Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: When using the Withdraw action, you can make a single additional attack at the beginning of your movement at your full attack bonus.

Vital Shot [General]
You specialize in hitting vital, but harder to hit, spots on the opponent.
Requirements: Point Blank Shot
Benefit: You may take a penalty on ranged attack rolls, up to your base attack bonus, on all attacks during a turn to gain an equal bonus on damage for those attacks. Creatures with no discernible anatomy or immune to extra damage from critical hits are immune to this damage. This is precision based damage, and you must be in Point Blank Shot range for this damage to take effect.

Charging Shot [General]
By combining forward movement with ranged fire, you can make it nearly impossible to dodge properly.
Requirements: Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: If you move your full speed directly toward an opponent prior to a ranged attack, your opponent is treated as flat-footed for the purposes of that attack. This technique is usable once per enemy per encounter. Opponents who cannot see you are not affected.

Deepblue706
2007-07-16, 04:27 PM
Vital Shot is neat, but I think it should have a DEX based requirement.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-16, 04:29 PM
Charging shot should be just with shortbow-size (if that) or equivalent weapons. Running while firing a longbow would probably be impossible.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-16, 06:40 PM
Charging shot should be just with shortbow-size (if that) or equivalent weapons. Running while firing a longbow would probably be impossible.
Weapon size went out with the 3.0 bathwater; currently both Long and Shortbows are of the "2-Handed" size. I could specify certain weapons, but having really long lists to conform to physics fluff is too much baggage on the feat. Also, being "impossible" has never stopped feats before (Great Cleave, for example, makes no sense.)

As for the Int requirement on Vital Shot; I think I'm just going to get rid of the ability score requirement altogether. Generally, I think it's a mistake to punish players wanting to build character types because they didn't roll well.

DracoDei
2007-07-17, 11:40 AM
Power attack without limit for one feat = Broken, cap it at 5 and you are probably good.

How many arrows does "Strafe" use up?

Arbitrarity
2007-07-17, 11:48 AM
Power attack without limit, as you put it = power attack, therefore, power attack = broken.

Unless you want to talk about Brutal Throw or whatever that is.

Daracaex
2007-07-17, 02:52 PM
As they said, vital shot is a bit unbalanced. Since it is a ranged version of Power Attack, I would put the max you could subtract from your attack roll at 5, like power attack, but make it so that you can only use it within range of your point blank shot feat, 30ft., and also that you lose the +1 on attack and damage you get from point blank shot while using this feat. That might help to balance it, but I'm no expert, so other's opinions on it would be appreciated.

Also, Strafe says you're lying down suppressive fire. That suggests the use of more than one arrow, so can you define how many are used up by the feat?

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-17, 03:34 PM
Power attack without limit for one feat = Broken, cap it at 5 and you are probably good.

How many arrows does "Strafe" use up?.
I'll add firing two arrows as a cost to Strafe, suppressive fire implies the attacks of opportunity; firing more just wouldn't make sense as a standard action, even unaimed.

I don't know why people are saying Vital Shot is without Limit, or even as good as power attack.
It is limited by your base attack, like PA, and doesn't even double the damage when used with a 2-Handed weapon AND it doesn't work on Undead, Oozes and Constructs. I suppose the range is an issue (somehow), but I've never been a single combat where someone could fire ranged with enough distance that it protects them from all retaliation.
I'll make it precision based damage, but I'm not negating Point Blank Feat.

Matthew
2007-07-29, 09:05 AM
I like Vital Shot; the other Feats I could take or leave, with Strafe in particular rubbing me the wrong way.