PDA

View Full Version : Wait, WHAT?

Clopin Silk
2016-12-16, 04:56 PM
I'm just setting this up as a thread devoted to the spells, skills, items and monsters that are just SO weird, you feel the need to re-read the description.
My favourite has to be the spell Spider Hand. It's just so utterly out of place among the rest of a Druid's first level spell list. You've got things like Create Flame, Entangle, Goodberries, and THIS: The caster detaches his hand, which transforms into a Small monstrous spider (see the Monster Manual) that he controls. The caster can see through its eyes, and it can travel up to 20 feet per level away from him. If the spider is killed or prevented from returning to the caster, his hand is restored when the spell ends, but he takes 1d6 points of damage. If the caster directs the spider to return to his arm (a move-equivalent action), then lets the spell end, he takes no damage.
And the whole thing is made weirder that it's not just a Druid Spell; Clerics can take this nightmarish insanity as well. What's you're best example of something you didn't quite believe the first time you read the description?

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-16, 05:00 PM
Smaller bit, but I am still amazed the Earth Reaver does not go to druids. I have my druids take it as does my DM because we forget that Earth Reaver, the spell that makes the earth erupt beneath the target's feet is given to clerics but not druids.

Menzath
2016-12-16, 05:56 PM
As far as weird, the spell defenestrating sphere. It just knocks people around unless there is a nearby window, in which case it throws them out of it. How oddly specific. Like the makers were just looking thru the dictionary and saw a cool/odd word and decided to make a spell out of it.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-16, 09:46 PM
As far as weird, the spell defenestrating sphere. It just knocks people around unless there is a nearby window, in which case it throws them out of it. How oddly specific. Like the makers were just looking thru the dictionary and saw a cool/odd word and decided to make a spell out of it.

Yeah but the visual is hilarious and "defenstrate" is a fun word to say :smallbiggrin:

Anybody else seen MM2's rukarazyll? Profane lump of earth and fungus trying to spread its filaments everywhere.

Or the ocularon from Fiend Folio? The only creature I know of that is actively trying to rip your eyes out as a primary mode of attack.

Those are some -strange- creatures both mechanically and visually.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-16, 09:52 PM
Globe of Radiant Invulnerability, Greater (Drag350 30): "This spell functions like lesser globe of radiant invulnerability, except that it functions like a greater globe of invulnerability". The best thing about this nonsensical description? Greater Globe of Invulnerability doesn't even exist.

Rage, Mass (Drag342 55): "Mass rage works like rage, except that it affects multiple creatures." That's great and all, and imma let you finish, but Rage (PHB 268): "Targets: One willing living creature per three levels, no two of which may be more than 30 ft. apart". Dragon 342 was published three years after 3.5 came out (Rage was previously printed in DaD and DotF).

Jormengand
2016-12-16, 10:06 PM

I want you to know, by the way, that there were at least two seperate events known as the defensetration of Prague (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague).

As for my favourite "What the hell" spell, this is probably a winner: the spell Explosive Cascade (SpC 85) contains this wonderful sentence:

"Anything along this path takes 1d6 point of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to all creatures and objects it touches."

Presumably, the fire damage is given to the creatures on the path, who then take it to the creatures they're touching?

John Longarrow
2016-12-16, 10:23 PM
There is that Heart ripper spell, the one that literally rips the heart out of the victim and pulls it to the casters hand...

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-16, 10:25 PM
As for my favourite "What the hell" spell, this is probably a winner: the spell Explosive Cascade (SpC 85) contains this wonderful sentence:

"Anything along this path takes 1d6 point of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to all creatures and objects it touches."

Presumably, the fire damage is given to the creatures on the path, who then take it to the creatures they're touching?

The original version in MoF is written much more clearly. Probably should've just copy-pasted it then added "standard" to the casting time line.

As is, it's plainly a terrible editing job. Way to go WotC :smallamused:

SaintRidley
2016-12-16, 10:27 PM
There is that Heart ripper spell, the one that literally rips the heart out of the victim and pulls it to the casters hand...

Oh, you mean Avasculate's less messy cousin.

Draconium
2016-12-16, 10:32 PM
One of my personal favorite spells (that I also happen to find bizarre) is Crushing Fist of Spite, from BoVD. Seriously. The spell is literally "summon giant fist from the sky to punch your enemies into submission." It's utterly ridiculous. I love it.

Crake
2016-12-17, 06:09 AM
Globe of Radiant Invulnerability, Greater (Drag350 30): "This spell functions like lesser globe of radiant invulnerability, except that it functions like a greater globe of invulnerability". The best thing about this nonsensical description? Greater Globe of Invulnerability doesn't even exist.

Rage, Mass (Drag342 55): "Mass rage works like rage, except that it affects multiple creatures." That's great and all, and imma let you finish, but Rage (PHB 268): "Targets: One willing living creature per three levels, no two of which may be more than 30 ft. apart". Dragon 342 was published three years after 3.5 came out (Rage was previously printed in DaD and DotF).

This is what you get for using dragon magazine, it's your own fault really.

Inevitability
2016-12-17, 06:14 AM
The Frost Worm is a Huge-sized ice worm that breathes ice, can stun people, and explodes when killed. That's pretty silly, but not too outlandish for a D&D monster.

However:

A frost worm is about 40 feet long, 5 feet in diameter, and weighs about 8,000 pounds.

Assuming frost worms are cilinder-shaped, that's a density of 40 kg/m3. For comparison, styrofoam has 50 kg/m3 and liquid hydrogen 70 kg/m3.

GrayDeath
2016-12-17, 11:18 AM
Which explains its behaviour.

its obviously made out of 30% Styrofoam, 25% liquid Hydrogen and pressurized Air. ;)

Calthropstu
2016-12-17, 11:53 AM
Mythic Augmented Time Stop in PF.

Sure, all the spells in the mythic book are powerful... but no singular spell or ability just so blatantly breaks the game as this. Time stop: 1d4+1 rounds. Mythic time stop: bring people into time stop with you. Augmented: 1 HOUR PER LEVEL. dafuq?

Inevitability
2016-12-17, 01:38 PM
I want you to know, by the way, that there were at least two seperate events known as the defensetration of Prague (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague).

Three if you count the death of Jan Masaryk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Masaryk).

On a related note, if I ever visit Prague I'm staying away from all non-ground floor windows.

John Longarrow
2016-12-17, 07:39 PM
Three if you count the death of Jan Masaryk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Masaryk).

On a related note, if I ever visit Prague I'm staying away from all non-ground floor windows.

Definitely visit the chain bridge. They also have a sex machine museum. Its a pretty cool city but I'd stick to summer myself. Cobblestones + ice = real pain in the neck.

Arbane
2016-12-17, 08:36 PM

And wear a hard hat?

Elricaltovilla
2016-12-17, 08:42 PM
One of my personal favorite spells (that I also happen to find bizarre) is Crushing Fist of Spite, from BoVD. Seriously. The spell is literally "summon giant fist from the sky to punch your enemies into submission." It's utterly ridiculous. I love it.

That is one of those spells that needs a like button.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-17, 09:52 PM

Pretty sure this was the source of Mordenkainen's Lucubration as well.

Menzath
2016-12-17, 10:30 PM
Hah yeah, as odd a word as lucabration is that spell sanctum and twinned is great. So frost worm chitin is lighter than styrofoam? So I can have a suit of full plate of it that weighs almost 1/100? Thats so light it should get mithril bonuses for free.
What weirds me out the most about the word defenestration is that it was an action that was happening so often, that it was easier to make a word for it than say what happened.
Oh and that weird eyeball aberration, yar it's weird, but in like a creepy horror story kinda way.

Telok
2016-12-18, 02:03 AM
Ebon eyes.

I had to read that spell a couple times and then make a ruling on it. It's a first level spell that lets you see through all forms of darkness.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-12-18, 02:06 AM
Ebon eyes.

I had to read that spell a couple times and then make a ruling on it. It's a first level spell that lets you see through all forms of darkness.

I'd have to go back to it, but IIRC it allows you to see through Magical Darkness and does nothing for natural darkness.

Deophaun
2016-12-18, 02:15 AM
I'd have to go back to it, but IIRC it allows you to see through Magical Darkness and does nothing for natural darkness.
It says you see "normally" through natural darkness, and then goes on to say it does nothing to "otherwise" improve your ability to see in natural darkness. 'Tis the source of much confusion.

Andezzar
2016-12-18, 02:37 AM
One of my personal favorite spells (that I also happen to find bizarre) is Crushing Fist of Spite, from BoVD. Seriously. The spell is literally "summon giant fist from the sky to punch your enemies into submission." It's utterly ridiculous. I love it.Not any weirder than all the spells Bigby created.

It says you see "normally" through natural darkness, and then goes on to say it does nothing to "otherwise" improve your ability to see in natural darkness. 'Tis the source of much confusion.A human (or any other creature without darkvision) sees through natural darkness normally and sees nothing. No problem there. It gets interesting as sson as the target has darkvision. Combine it with (deeper) darkness and you get an even greater tactical advantage.

Fiery Diamond
2016-12-18, 02:49 AM
Not any weirder than all the spells Bigby created.

A human (or any other creature without darkvision) sees through natural darkness normally and sees nothing. No problem there. It gets interesting as sson as the target has darkvision. Combine it with (deeper) darkness and you get an even greater tactical advantage.

That's almost certainly what they meant with that word choice, but that's the problem with using the word "normally" in game rules when it doesn't have a game rules definition. After all, "see normally" when taken out of context clearly means "seeing without impediment," which would mean in game context "seeing as one does in normal lighting." Additionally, using the word "otherwise" implies that there [I]is something this spell does to improve your ability to see in natural darkness, and that it was previously referred to... and that reference can only be the "see normally." Hence the confusion.

Inevitability
2016-12-18, 02:53 AM

Don't forget that it requires you to be infected with a literal Hate Plague (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HatePlague) to cast.

Doctor Awkward
2016-12-18, 02:57 AM

On a semi-related note: Behold. (http://comicvine.gamespot.com/defenestrator/4005-12150/)

The gorgeous specimen provided in that link is the superhero "The Defenestrator"

He comes from the insanely awesome DC comic book series Section 8 (so named because it is a reference to the military designation which means "mentally unfit for duty")

His entire superpower is being an above-average bare-knuckle fighter that carries a window with him wherever he goes so that he can throw people through it when he fights them.

I always had a soft spot for the bizarrely flavored spell Extract Gift from Fiendish Codex I.

It has probably the longest and most oddly specific written description in the game that pretty much boils to "cast this spell to make your Belt of Giant Strength, or Cloak of Elvenkind a slotless item".

You transfer the essence of a demon into another willing subject (unwilling demons are granted a save, but there are provisions to increase their save DC by allowing them control over the subject). At caster level 20 it can be up to a +5 enhancement bonus to any stat, or a +10 competence bonus to any skill. The the material component cost is identical to the cost of a similarly functioning magic item, and duration is permanent and can only be dispelled by someone who has a higher caster level than the spell's caster.

I feel like I could write an entire campaign just around the culture that might spring up in a world where this spell existed. The spell specifies that the demon needs to have double the ability score to be granted (so to grant a +5, the demon would need a 30 in that stat), and double the ranks in the skill of the competence bonus to be granted (so a +10 to bluff would need 20 ranks in Bluff). A whole network of people trafficking in demons with highly in demand skills, complete with teams of good aligned adventurers being duped into capturing them to "end the menace they represent" only to basically sell them into slavery. Gangs with seemingly superpowered enforcers suddenly appearing, and shadowy organizations creating an arms race so they can make more money selling these powers to both sides.

Deophaun
2016-12-18, 03:14 AM
A human (or any other creature without darkvision) sees through natural darkness normally and sees nothing. No problem there.
That is a problem: it's the exact same wording used for magical darkness, which a human, or dwarf, or anything without see in darkness normally sees through however the darkness effect specifies. A consistent reading leads to either a spell that does nothing or one that is vastly under-leveled. You have to give an inconsistent reading to reach RAI.

And it would have been so much easier if it had just omitted the part about natural darkness.

Hawkstar
2016-12-18, 04:36 AM
As far as I can tell, the point of Eboneyes is that it counters magical darkness, but not natural darkness (If you have Darkvision, you can see through both)

As far as Frost Worms - Not sure what their chitin is made out of, but given their Swallow Whole ability, their volume really could be mostly air.

Xuldarinar
2016-12-18, 05:28 AM
Skinsend (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/skinsend) got that reaction out of me.

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-18, 06:23 AM
Curse of lycanthropy. A necromancy spell that creates 1d6 brand new people from one person. Depending on the reading, they are either exact copies of the mm1 entry, or only use the wererat entry from the mm1.

Hogsy
2016-12-18, 06:36 AM
The Frost Worm is a Huge-sized ice worm that breathes ice, can stun people, and explodes when killed. That's pretty silly, but not too outlandish for a D&D monster.

However:

Assuming frost worms are cilinder-shaped, that's a density of 40 kg/m3. For comparison, styrofoam has 50 kg/m3 and liquid hydrogen 70 kg/m3.

I put a young version of that monster against my party and it was awesome watching the Barbarian try to hurl it away from the party so it didn't explode in their face, potentially TPKing them.

As for OP, I had a "Wait.. What!?" reaction when I first read the Ring of the Darkhidden.

Eldan
2016-12-18, 07:47 AM
I feel like I could write an entire campaign just around the culture that might spring up in a world where this spell existed. The spell specifies that the demon needs to have double the ability score to be granted (so to grant a +5, the demon would need a 30 in that stat), and double the ranks in the skill of the competence bonus to be granted (so a +10 to bluff would need 20 ranks in Bluff). A whole network of people trafficking in demons with highly in demand skills, complete with teams of good aligned adventurers being duped into capturing them to "end the menace they represent" only to basically sell them into slavery. Gangs with seemingly superpowered enforcers suddenly appearing, and shadowy organizations creating an arms race so they can make more money selling these powers to both sides.

See, I immediately thought of the opposite. Binder-Paladins, who long ago found out that slaying demons just returns them to the Abyss, so instead they bind them in their own bodies. It gives them amazing power and lets them slay more evil, but over time, they hear the demons whispering evil in their minds and slowly go insane. Of course, their bodies need to be intact so the demons can't escape, so at some point, they need to be imprisoned in a very secure asylum that can keep in people that are magically enhanced to heaven and back.

Inevitability
2016-12-18, 07:52 AM
See, I immediately thought of the opposite. Binder-Paladins, who long ago found out that slaying demons just returns them to the Abyss, so instead they bind them in their own bodies. It gives them amazing power and lets them slay more evil, but over time, they hear the demons whispering evil in their minds and slowly go insane. Of course, their bodies need to be intact so the demons can't escape, so at some point, they need to be imprisoned in a very secure asylum that can keep in people that are magically enhanced to heaven and back.

This is, of course, rather pointless if you realize there's infinite demons: binding one won't really matter unless it was exceptionally strong.

Fiery Diamond
2016-12-18, 08:37 AM
Skinsend (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/skinsend) got that reaction out of me.

*reads*

What is the POINT of that spell?

Inevitability
2016-12-18, 08:55 AM
*reads*

A creature with Regeneration can use it to create some fun Halloween constumes? Everyone's dressed as them, they're dressed as a skinless comatose body, their own skin is walking along for fun.

...okay, now I'm going to include that in my game.

John Longarrow
2016-12-18, 09:01 AM
Down side is if your skin is killed so are you.. So you effectively become a construct with half your HP and 3 STR.. Can't really see the upside, especially for a 2nd level spell.

Inevitability
2016-12-18, 09:27 AM
Down side is if your skin is killed so are you.. So you effectively become a construct with half your HP and 3 STR.. Can't really see the upside, especially for a 2nd level spell.

Exploring the other side of a small passage, perhaps? Still niche as hell, but at least occasionally useful.

John Longarrow
2016-12-18, 09:46 AM
Exploring the other side of a small passage, perhaps? Still niche as hell, but at least occasionally useful.

I think the best use would be scaring little kids off of your lawn...

Andezzar
2016-12-18, 09:52 AM
BTW what happens if an undead casts that spell and his skin is reduced to 0 HP?

zergling.exe
2016-12-18, 10:16 AM
BTW what happens if an undead casts that spell and his skin is reduced to 0 HP?

Well it's a necromancy spell, so does that mean they can't cast it due to being immune? Though even if they do, they are immediately destroyed when the spell ends because their body died due to having 0 HP.

Der_DWSage
2016-12-18, 10:36 AM
*reads*

Making a creepy spellcaster enemy, I think. Or scouting through an area full of poison mist, as a construct would be immune to it and you gain compression. Possibly overcoming paralysis, if you have a still/silent version of the spell? STR 3 is better than STR 0.

...Yeah, it's really niche.

Inevitability
2016-12-18, 10:41 AM
Just figured out another thing: against foes with one mode of attack constructs are immune to, it's essentially an instant win. Shadows, for one, can do quite a number on 'normal' casters, but are nearly powerless against disembodied skins. Just stand there and spam cantrips at them.

Grytorm
2016-12-18, 02:03 PM
Curse of lycanthropy. A necromancy spell that creates 1d6 brand new people from one person. Depending on the reading, they are either exact copies of the mm1 entry, or only use the wererat entry from the mm1.

That sounds amusing, where is that from anyway. Also reminds me of a Master of Magic lets play in which the writer speculates on the fate of the two extra haflings in a group affected by lycanthropy.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-18, 04:55 PM
I like Vipergout. Puke snakes at people. Literally vomit snakes at people. The only way it could be better is if it were spiders.

And for sheer, undiluted confusion, it's hard to beat Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu. Rebuke and command hippopotami. But only if you've defeated one in single combat first.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-18, 05:37 PM

*reads*

^this. Lots and lots of this. WTF?

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-18, 07:50 PM
That sounds amusing, where is that from anyway. Also reminds me of a Master of Magic lets play in which the writer speculates on the fate of the two extra haflings in a group affected by lycanthropy.

Spell compendium. 6th level. Only shows up as a domain spell. I know Ive seen another version that turned a single person into a wererat but I dont remember where.

Elricaltovilla
2016-12-18, 10:46 PM
I like Vipergout. Puke snakes at people. Literally vomit snakes at people. The only way it could be better is if it were spiders.

And for sheer, undiluted confusion, it's hard to beat Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu. Rebuke and command hippopotami. But only if you've defeated one in single combat first.

You mean like this one (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vomit-swarm)?

stack
2016-12-18, 10:58 PM
If i recall, there is a way for the alchemist to use skin send offensively via touch injection.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-19, 08:18 AM
You mean like this one (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vomit-swarm)?
Perfect!
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/what-if-spidermans-power-was-shooting-spiders-out-of-his-hands.jpg

Jormengand
2016-12-19, 08:59 AM
Looking at the incantation rules brings up a brilliant one: you can summon an eldrich abomination that insults you if you ask it a question that doesn't involve doors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm#callForththeDweller).

DrKerosene
2016-12-19, 09:45 AM
*reads*

I planned on using it in a Gestalt Pathfinder game, having a Tattoo Wizard//Psion character. Acting like my PC's fleshless body was a victim I was questing to help.

I always thought the Spell "Eternity of Torture" and those "Clamps of Exquisite Pain" were intended to be combined as weird quest. Would need Naberius.

Xuldarinar
2016-12-19, 10:02 AM
Looking at the incantation rules brings up a brilliant one: you can summon an eldrich abomination that insults you if you ask it a question that doesn't involve doors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm#callForththeDweller).

Would it insult you if you started telling it knock knock jokes..?

Inevitability
2016-12-19, 11:57 AM

I believe also deserving of mention is the incantation where you build a hut, go inside and start telling a story about a barbarian hero, then slowly burn the hut down so you can travel to Ysgard.

Jormengand
2016-12-19, 10:34 PM
I believe also deserving of mention is the incantation where you build a hut, go inside and start telling a story about a barbarian hero, then slowly burn the hut down so you can travel to Ysgard.

Let's not forget the incantation that knocks you out and sends you to hell so that you can blow up a small area and summon a pit fiend you can't control, or the one which summons a specific, named demon which only guards tombs.

Calthropstu
2016-12-20, 11:31 AM
*reads*

Uses for this spell:

At low levels:
1: it can be used to gain DR against a monk or a character wielding blunt weapons.
2: it can be used for spying. (Much easier to hide when you can squeeze down)
3: it can be used to squeeze through doors and other areas.
4: it can be used to bypass numerous types of traps.

At high levels the major use I can think of is ring of regeneration + this to create resurrection fodder but it could probably be utilized for other things as a general severely niche thing.

Necroticplague
2016-12-20, 12:00 PM
Some people mentioned Skinsend earlier and questioned it's use. I'd like to point out Alchemists have an extract that let's them give themselves a stinger that can inject extracts into other people (Touch Injection). So it's actually a fairly brutal possible combo for an Alchemist to inject someone with Skinsend to bring them down to 0, then kill them in the follow-up attack (especially for Vivisectors).

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 12:50 PM
Some people mentioned Skinsend earlier and questioned it's use. I'd like to point out Alchemists have an extract that let's them give themselves a stinger that can inject extracts into other people (Touch Injection). So it's actually a fairly brutal possible combo for an Alchemist to inject someone with Skinsend to bring them down to 0, then kill them in the follow-up attack (especially for Vivisectors).

I NEED TO NOW!!!
HOW DO I GET A STINGER?????

I really need to know how.

Inevitability
2016-12-20, 01:06 PM
I NEED TO NOW!!!
HOW DO I GET A STINGER?????

I really need to know how.

Vengeful Stinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vengeful-stinger) combined with Touch Injection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/touch-injection), it seems.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 01:40 PM
Vengeful Stinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vengeful-stinger) combined with Touch Injection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/touch-injection), it seems.

tnx

:smallfrown: I cant use it, I don't use PF.

Inevitability
2016-12-20, 02:17 PM
tnx

Races of Eberron has the Scorpion Tail spell, which also gives you a stinger.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-21, 01:19 AM

tnx man, now I can be a bunny with scorpion tail(nobody will want to eat me now) :smallsmile:

Clopin Silk
2016-12-24, 08:03 PM

D&D: where heart beats the hell out of fire, earth wind and water. Mati is to be feared.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-24, 08:04 PM

So, basically a heavy metal album cover turned into a spell?

Clopin Silk
2016-12-24, 08:20 PM
I can think of another spell that really gets to me, although I can only remember the effect, not the name. It lets you summon a big wooden cube, but you need to cast it where there's a flat surface big enough for the cube. Hilariously specific, and with so many possibilities for mayhem.

digiman619
2016-12-24, 08:52 PM
Anyone remember the old green-screen gag where one person wore a hood and the other wore a robe that were both the same color so when they were chromakeyed it looked like someone remover their head? Turns out there's a spell for that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/decollate).

Muggins
2016-12-24, 09:13 PM
My vote goes to Chaos Fissure from Complete Psionics. I never see it mentioned around here - probably because it's only accessible as the 8th level power in the Chaos mantle, and the only other way to get access to it is via Expanded Knowledge after you're getting 9th level powers.

Every creature within a 20ft emanation of a target creature/object/location manifests powers using Wild Surge, and spells and SLAs cast in the area are subject to the Wild Magic rules. This is weird because it explicitly breaks the psionics-magic transparency rules, and interacts really weirdly with a "psionics and magic are always identical" ruleset - do spells get Wild Surge?

It's also worth noting that, while it mentions that manifested powers are also subject to Psychic Enervation, no mention is made of the level of Wilder being used. 1st-level Wild Surge and Psychic Enervation is the presumption, but if so, that's an awfully weak (and not at all useful) effect for an 8th level power.

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-25, 12:58 AM
D&D: where heart beats the hell out of fire, earth wind and water. Mati is to be feared.

He was always the strongest. It was confirmed that his power could flat out mind control large groups of people perminently.

Also, create crawling claw, so long as we are on the subject of using body parts. Turns left hands into tiny constructs.

Inevitability
2016-12-25, 01:31 AM
I can think of another spell that really gets to me, although I can only remember the effect, not the name. It lets you summon a big wooden cube, but you need to cast it where there's a flat surface big enough for the cube. Hilariously specific, and with so many possibilities for mayhem.

It's called Blockade. The spell is from Complete Scoundrel.

Also, create crawling claw, so long as we are on the subject of using body parts. Turns left hands into tiny constructs.

Not to mention it can only use left hands for some reason, which is probably worth an entry here on its own.

Calthropstu
2016-12-25, 01:52 AM
It's called Blockade. The spell is from Complete Scoundrel.

Not to mention it can only use left hands for some reason, which is probably worth an entry here on its own.

So if I cast this while injured, would that make me all right?

And what if a marilith used this?

Inevitability
2016-12-25, 03:11 AM
So if I cast this while injured, would that make me all right?

And what if a marilith used this?

The spell can only be cast on severed hands. Unless 'injured' means 'hand chopped off', CCC would do nothing.

Mariliths could obviously yield thrice as many left hands, as long as your DM isn't using the Fancy Table of Spectacular Demon Deaths.

ShurikVch
2016-12-25, 08:55 AM
One of my personal favorite spells (that I also happen to find bizarre) is Crushing Fist of Spite, from BoVD. Seriously. The spell is literally "summon giant fist from the sky to punch your enemies into submission." It's utterly ridiculous. I love it.http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_24.jpg

The Viscount
2016-12-27, 05:27 PM
*reads*

Don't forget that even if you try to use it for something like squeezing through a gap or passing a hazardous area the spell still bites you in the rear. The skin only has half your hitpoints and you fall to 0 when you cast it, and when you reunite you gain the skin's remaining hitpoints. This means that any time you cast this spell you lose half your hitpoints, and can't regain until the spell ends.

Someone found Otiax's long lost brother!

The silverbeard spell makes me laugh.
1. It tells us that elves are incapable of growing beards.
2. Having a giant beard that looks like it's silver grants you a bonus on diplomacy against Dwarves.

If we're talking confusing nonsense, we gotta talk statue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/statue.htm). What do you do with it? Spring some sort of ambush in a place where your enemy wouldn't think it weird to find a bunch of statues that look exactly like adventurers?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-27, 05:32 PM
If we're talking confusing nonsense, we gotta talk statue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/statue.htm). What do you do with it? Spring some sort of ambush in a place where your enemy wouldn't think it weird to find a bunch of statues that look exactly like adventurers?

Yeah, pretty much that exactly. Works better for NPC's and infiltration than for the PC's to spring an ambush but there it is.

Venger
2016-12-27, 08:15 PM
since I've tragically been beaten to the punch with my go-to, which is statue, allow me to talk about another incredibly obscure core gem. I am referring of course to guards and wards (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guardsAndWards.htm). I know in theory it's a spell for an npc boss and isn't intended for PC use. that said, it's in this weird space where it's too niche to ever use for anything, but certain parts of it also seem vaguely too strong for the cost you pay.

Thurbane
2016-12-27, 08:52 PM
tnx

There's also the Scorpion Heritor prestige class (Sandstorm), but since you only get it at 9th level isn't going to be much use barring a very specialized build.

Let's not forget 3.5 thought it needed two distinct spells for ripping out hearts: Clutch of Orcus as well (also in the Spell Compendium). They both work fairly differently, though...

Darrin
2016-12-27, 09:11 PM

I have yet to run into an adventuring party that doesn't *IMMEDIATELY* launch into an elaborate Decoration Recovery Plan as soon as you even mention "statue" as part of a room's description. Anything even vaguely humanoid is carefully approached, inspected with every possible skill/spell they have, and then promptly demolished as quickly as possible. No matter how much I tell them it's an ordinary statue, they will never believe it.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-27, 09:15 PM
I have yet to run into an adventuring party that doesn't *IMMEDIATELY* launch into an elaborate Decoration Recovery Plan as soon as you even mention "statue" as part of a room's description. Anything even vaguely humanoid is carefully approached, inspected with every possible skill/spell they have, and then promptly demolished as quickly as possible. No matter how much I tell them it's an ordinary statue, they will never believe it.

So... maybe overplayed that trope, just a tad?

Menzath
2016-12-27, 09:52 PM
I like that statue can be used to mess with beholders and to get the jump on other creatures that petrify things.
And I don't know why but some of the eye spells are so strange.
Warlocks crawling eye invocation, and the spell wall of eyes.

But what's really odd is fimbulwinter in frostburn. Okay let's let the player f. With the climate, and having that as a bbeg is messed up, cause you know they are going to use avalanche and blood snow too.

John Longarrow
2016-12-27, 10:44 PM

Perfect for the party trying to ambush an absent minded medusa...

unseenmage
2016-12-27, 11:13 PM

Oh I do love me some Crawling Claws. Mind you it also makes them by the pile so it's not just sever hand, animate, repeat but sever lots of left hands, animate, repeat.
Best used by trolls one presumes.

Also note that the spell makes no mention that the hands must come from a creature so as a workaround just Stone Shape a tree-of-stone-left-hands and sever those.

For me the weirdest thing is the PF wondrous magic item the Migrus Locker (http://archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName).

Which is, quite frankly, horrifying. Especially since at the time I was researching wondrous items that would be neat reworked into tech grenades...

I mean seriously, how do I even describe the effects of the Migrus Locker affecting a 20' radius burst but only as a one-use item? Might be the one Construct I never get around to using as a player.

As a GM though, it'll make a delightful addition to my Rise of the Runelords campaign. :smallamused:

Necroticplague
2016-12-27, 11:22 PM
For me the weirdest thing is the PF wondrous magic item the Migrus Locker (http://archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName).

Which is, quite frankly, horrifying. Especially since at the time I was researching wondrous items that would be neat reworked into tech grenades...

I mean seriously, how do I even describe the effects of the Migrus Locker affecting a 20' radius burst but only as a one-use item? Might be the one Construct I never get around to using as a player.

As a GM though, it'll make a delightful addition to my Rise of the Runelords campaign. :smallamused:
...Seeing that makes me wonder about possible variants for migruses (migri?) that have familiar archetypes. Like one for Figment (presumably, quiet literally made of nightmares).

unseenmage
2016-12-27, 11:30 PM
...Seeing that makes me wonder about possible variants for migruses (migri?) that have familiar archetypes. Like one for Figment (presumably, quiet literally made of nightmares).

You mean it isn't already?

Full dusclosure, as a kid I did wake up in the middle of the night once to find my pet cat had delivered a single malformed (2x as long as normal), short lived kitten in my bed right beside me as I slept.

To this day I can't help but wonder if I didnt roll on the poor thing in my sleep.

Our plan was to combine it with another cat-themed item, a figurine (can't remember its name...) that keeps someone asleep when placed on their sleeping chest. Only we'd use Mythic sleep to make a horrifying Migrus Locker, Rip Van Winkle crossover monstrosity.

Hawkstar
2016-12-28, 12:31 AM
You use it to gain Hardness 8 (And the object resistances of stone), at the cost of off-turn actions. Notice that transforming into and back from a statue is a free action. With people using the Statue spell, you've got crazy shenanigans of statues turning into people to stab you, then turning back into stone before you can retaliate.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-28, 12:37 AM
This talk about statue makes me wonder, what happens if you achieve a pin in a grapple then turn to stone?

digiman619
2016-12-28, 12:47 AM
This talk about statue makes me wonder, what happens if you achieve a pin in a grapple then turn to stone?

Even better; you've fallen/been thrown into a Gelatinous Cube, who then is petrified.

Doctor Despair
2016-12-28, 01:20 AM

Probably they still do an opposed grapple, since nothing specifically prevents a statue from doing so, but RAI I'd think an escape artist check against a flat DC would be appropriate.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-28, 01:27 AM
Even better; you've fallen/been thrown into a Gelatinous Cube, who then is petrified.

Meh, what happens there is pretty obvious; you're encased in solid stone.

Inevitability
2016-12-28, 01:33 AM

It's a decent (albeit far underpowered) combat buff. Cast statue, return to your real form, take your turn, become a statue again, repeat.

It gives you hardness 8 unless people are specifically readying actions to use against you, in which case you can just choose not to emerge from statue-form that turn.

The Viscount
2016-12-28, 01:05 PM

All you have to do now is throw in some encounters with Caryatid Columns to make them distrust the architecture itself. Then have some rooms with normal columns that are actually holding up the ceiling, where destruction causes a cave-in. They'll never trust anything ever again.

animewatcha
2016-12-28, 10:29 PM
Seeing as the creature targeted doesn't have to be willing, why not use it on enemy with ally readied action to smash a sec or two after stoning.

Thurbane
2016-12-29, 12:05 AM

That's pretty sweet, I might drop one into my 3.5 game as treasure.

When the item description says "The migrus has attributes of a cat familiar except it has the construct type." does that means it gets/gives all the usual familiar benefits (i.e. granting Alertness feat, +3 to move silently, improved evasion, share spells etc.)?

unseenmage
2016-12-29, 02:25 AM
That's pretty sweet, I might drop one into my 3.5 game as treasure.

When the item description says "The migrus has attributes of a cat familiar except it has the construct type." does that means it gets/gives all the usual familiar benefits (i.e. granting Alertness feat, +3 to move silently, improved evasion, share spells etc.)?

I am not sure. But I bet the folks over in the PF RAW Q&A thread would have an idea.
I almost copypasya-ed your question to them but decided against doing so without permission.
That and posting from phone gives finger/hand cramps. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2016-12-29, 02:39 AM
Great idea, I've posted the question there now.

Inevitability
2016-12-29, 04:38 AM
Seeing as the creature targeted doesn't have to be willing, why not use it on enemy with ally readied action to smash a sec or two after stoning.

That'd probably be harder than just hitting the enemy, though. It's still the same creature, only with hardness 8 now.

unseenmage
2016-12-29, 09:47 AM
Great idea, I've posted the question there now.

Here's hoping we get an answer
I also saw a Reddit post about it this morning but there was hardly any RAW in it.

Turns out the Migrus Locker was an amateure submission to a contest (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2hocz&page=2?Migrus-Locker) of some kind with Paizo. Explains some of the funkiness of the thing.

Thurbane
2016-12-29, 05:02 PM
According to what appears to be the original post by the creator http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2hocz?Migrus-Locker : "The Migrus has attributes of a Cat with the construct type."

This might by a less confusing/ambiguous stat block for the creature than the one listed in the Pathfinder SRD. Although to make it worthwhile, I'd be tempted to throw the abilities of a 6th level familiar on to it as well (i.e. +3 natural armor bonus, Int 8, Improved Evasion, Empathic Link, Speak With Master).

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-31, 03:50 PM
Wait wait wait, I've just stumbled across the best power ever: Glorytongue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020925a).

You gain the ability to stretch your tongue great distances and manipulate it as if it were a true limb.
Um... what?

The tongue is treated as a Diminutive construct with 1/2 HD, hit points equal to half your maximum hit points, AC 13 (+4 size, -1 Dex), Strength 1, Dexterity 8, Con --, Int --, Wis 1, Cha 1. It uses your base attack bonus to touch, grab, or attack, but it does not threaten an area and deals no damage with its attacks. It is fully under your control and can manipulate objects like a tentacle.
Eww...

You can use the glorytongue to deliver touch spells. You can cause it grow (up to 100 feet long) or shrink (to its normal size) as a free action.
What the... I don't...

It does not interfere with spellcasting or speaking.
How? That's just...

It can be used to make grapple checks, although its weak Strength makes it difficult to actually grapple a creature. It can wind its way up ropes, walls, and other vertical surfaces, and it is strong enough to suspend up to 10 feet of itself free of any supporting surface (to cross a pit, for example).
Aaaagh!

The end of the tongue is a primitive sensory organ and can see up to 5 feet away with normal vision. (It does not have blindsight, darkvision, or low-light vision). You perceive everything the tongue perceives. Because it is an extension of your tongue, you can use it to taste things, although poisons and harmful effects do not transmit to you through the glorytongue.

If destroyed, all but the original length of tongue that existed before the glorytongue power was used collapses into dust.
What in the what?

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-31, 04:51 PM

Any way we can get that spell to work with other body parts? Glorynose, anyone?

Blackhawk748
2016-12-31, 04:57 PM

You mean Clutch of Orcus? I love that spell. Kill a person with it and you get a smoldering heart in your hand. So METAL!!

Technetium43
2016-12-31, 04:59 PM

Any way we can get that spell to work with other body parts? Glorynose, anyone?

Let's be honest here, neither the nose nor the tongue is not what people tried that spell on first. :smalltongue:

digiman619
2016-12-31, 05:01 PM
Let's be honest here, neither the nose nor the tongue is not what people tried that spell on first. :smalltongue:

True, but Glorytoe just didn't test well.

Technetium43
2016-12-31, 05:02 PM

(Fun fact, that was literally the joke I was going to make if someone brought up)

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-31, 05:07 PM

Im going to be honest, this power is going into my halfling barbarian build for silly games. :smallbiggrin:

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-31, 05:21 PM
Wait wait wait, I've just stumbled across the best power ever: Glorytongue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020925a).

Um... what?

Eww...

What the... I don't...

How? That's just...

Aaaagh!

What in the what?

You, sir, have made my new year's. This is glorious.

Calthropstu
2016-12-31, 06:12 PM
You, sir, have made my new year's. This is glorious.

Agreed. This is amazing. A true wtf.

Inevitability
2016-12-31, 06:24 PM
Ignoring the silliness, extending your reach for touch spells with around 100 feet for a single power point seems useful, to say the least. Especially when one realizes it can be picked up with Hidden Talent.

Agrippa
2016-12-31, 06:28 PM
since I've tragically been beaten to the punch with my go-to, which is statue, allow me to talk about another incredibly obscure core gem. I am referring of course to guards and wards (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guardsAndWards.htm). I know in theory it's a spell for an npc boss and isn't intended for PC use. that said, it's in this weird space where it's too niche to ever use for anything, but certain parts of it also seem vaguely too strong for the cost you pay.

You're assuming that the PCs would never have a need or interest in their own stronghold. That wasn't the case in older pre-3rd ed. D&D. Of course back then the idea was that building your own stronghold was a sign that you were retiring from the adventuring business. But I see no reason not have your own base of operations as a high level adventurer. Where else are you going to store all of your vehicles, suits of armor, weapons and utility items? By that token you also need a means of defending it too, hence, guards and wards.

danielxcutter
2016-12-31, 06:42 PM
The psionic power Fuse Flesh. Yikes. :smalleek:

Decerebrate is pretty yik-worthy as well.

On a milder note, Blade Barrier. Why is that a CLERIC spell?

RolkFlameraven
2016-12-31, 07:17 PM

Um... what?

Eww...

What the... I don't...

How? That's just...

Aaaagh!

What in the what?

All hail Ed Greenwood!

Did I skim that article correctly, a Topaz Dragon made that thing? To better steal things? I love it.

J-H
2016-12-31, 08:26 PM
Decerebrate is a great power! It lets you kill Balors and steal their weapons without having to deal with death throes.

My Psion never even got around to selling them, but he still got to walk around with 4 vorpal swords and 4 flaming whips.

John Longarrow
2016-12-31, 09:03 PM
Grod,

About the only way to give that a bigger "eewwww" factor would be if it did that to your optic never and let your eyeball pop out. Hmm... May have to do that with something just to mess with players.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-31, 10:05 PM
Grod,

About the only way to give that a bigger "eewwww" factor would be if it did that to your optic never and let your eyeball pop out. Hmm... May have to do that with something just to mess with players.

Eye of the Beholder does something very similar actually...

The Viscount
2017-01-01, 03:10 PM
I'm going to add in more body weirdness with Fuse Arms.

You cast it on a creature to reduce its arms to two, but those arms are stronger. It uses it on a Marilith as an example, but if you use it on a creature with 2 arms then they get 1 really strong arm!

Inevitability
2017-01-01, 03:26 PM
I'm going to add in more body weirdness with Fuse Arms.

You cast it on a creature to reduce its arms to half, but those arms are stronger. It uses it on a Marilith as an example, but if you use it on a creature with 2 arms then they get 1 really strong arm!

Props for not making the obvious dirty joke.

Also, it's even weirder when used on a creature with an uneven number of limbs (such as an athach), because it flat-out doesn't work in those situations. It'd make sense if it just combined two of the limbs, but no; the spell fails to change anything if used on an uneven-limbed being.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-01-01, 03:28 PM
Props for not making the obvious dirty joke.

Also, it's even weirder when used on a creature with an uneven number of limbs (such as an athach), because it flat-out doesn't work in those situations. It'd make sense if it just combined two of the limbs, but no; the spell fails to change anything if used on an uneven-limbed being.

To be fair, the number of odd-numbered-limbed creatures is exceedingly small.

Inevitability
2017-01-01, 03:48 PM
To be fair, the number of odd-numbered-limbed creatures is exceedingly small.

I know, but they could've written the spell in a way that'd make it at least do something on those creatures. The fact that WotC is explicitly pointing out casting the spell on anything with an uneven amount of limbs causes it to fail shows they were thinking of such creatures.

Andezzar
2017-01-01, 03:54 PM
Also, it's even weirder when used on a creature with an uneven number of limbs (such as an athach), because it flat-out doesn't work in those situations. It'd make sense if it just combined two of the limbs, but no; the spell fails to change anything if used on an uneven-limbed being.Where do you get that? According to the SpC the target creature only needs two or more arms. The spell does not require the target to have an even number of arms.

Inevitability
2017-01-01, 04:05 PM
Where do you get that? According to the SpC the target creature only needs two or more arms. The spell does not require the target to have an even number of arms.

Huh, could've sworn it had a line detailing what I said.

ShurikVch
2017-01-01, 04:20 PM
Honored classics - Animal Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType):
•Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).So, what's will happen if you attempted to cast the Fox’s Cunning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foxsCunning.htm) on actual Fox?

Firest Kathon
2017-01-01, 04:28 PM
Honored classics - Animal Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType):So, what's will happen if you attempted to cast the Fox’s Cunning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foxsCunning.htm) on actual Fox?
Nothing, as it is a temporary bonus. A permanent Int increase would make it a Magical Beast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#magicalBeastType).

Magical beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2.
I believe the effects of temporary vs. permanent ability changes is detailed somewhere in the Rules Compendium, but I am AFB currently.

Andezzar
2017-01-01, 04:32 PM
Please show me the rule that says a creature that only temporarily has an INT above 2 can be an animal. I am not a ware such a rule exists.

Venger
2017-01-01, 05:11 PM
Nothing, as it is a temporary bonus. A permanent Int increase would make it a Magical Beast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#magicalBeastType).

I believe the effects of temporary vs. permanent ability changes is detailed somewhere in the Rules Compendium, but I am AFB currently.
There's nothing in RC about it.

Please show me the rule that says a creature that only temporarily has an INT above 2 can be an animal. I am not a ware such a rule exists.

It doesn't.

Honored classics - Animal Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType):So, what's will happen if you attempted to cast the Fox’s Cunning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foxsCunning.htm) on actual Fox?
The simplest solution is to treat it like a nonability, such as con -. You can't cast bear's endurance on a zombie to give him a con of 4, so you can't cast fox's cunning on a cat to give it a higher int.

Azoth
2017-01-02, 12:34 AM
Is it bad that the spell Statue, now has me designing a Weeping Angel type encounter for my players to deal with?

Arbane
2017-01-02, 01:59 AM
Is it bad that the spell Statue, now has me designing a Weeping Angel type encounter for my players to deal with?

If that's bad, I don't wanna be good. :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2017-01-02, 02:21 AM

Nice. And I suppose that because the acting is a free action, it should be able to happen in the span of someone blinking.

ShurikVch
2017-01-05, 11:50 AM
The simplest solution is to treat it like a nonability, such as con -. You can't cast bear's endurance on a zombie to give him a con of 4, so you can't cast fox's cunning on a cat to give it a higher int.But what's will happen if you cast Aberrate on Animal (temporary changing it's type to Aberration), then - persisted fox's cunning?
Or even better - feed it a fruit of Intelligence from Mottlegrasp’s Orchard in Bytopia (gives inherent Int bonus - like from the Wish/Miracle)

With a box
2017-01-05, 04:27 PM
Magical Beast Type

Magical beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2. Magical beasts usually have supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but sometimes are merely bizarre in appearance or habits.

Isn't this imply animals can't have inteligence score higher than 2?

ZamielVanWeber
2017-01-05, 04:32 PM
The animal type explicitly states they cannot have an int higher than 2.

Slayn82
2017-01-05, 06:02 PM

Um... what?

Eww...

What the... I don't...

How? That's just...

Aaaagh!

Bet that Dragon eats people like a small kid eats an Oreo. There's absolutely no place to hide treasures from him.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-05, 06:04 PM
Bet that Dragon eats people like a small kid eats an Oreo.

By ripping them in half and licking the filling out of the middle?

Thurbane
2017-01-05, 07:11 PM
It would be interesting to make a caster/gish build that specializes in spells that alter or do other weird things with body parts (both the caster's own, or another target). There seems to be a surprising number of them.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-05, 07:24 PM
It would be interesting to make a caster/gish build that specializes in spells that alter or do other weird things with body parts (both the caster's own, or another target). There seems to be a surprising number of them.

Gotta do it with a fleshwarper build.

Necroticplague
2017-01-05, 08:24 PM
Re-reading the potion's raw size continues to make me go 'what', simply because of how different it is from what I visualize them as.

Physical Description

A typical potion or oil consists of 1 ounce of liquid held in a ceramic or glass vial fitted with a tight stopper. The stoppered container is usually no more than 1 inch wide and 2 inches high. The vial has AC 13, 1 hit point, hardness 1, and a break DC of 12. Vials hold 1 ounce of liquid.
I always picture these being at least a half-pint in size, so the standard action is takes to down one is at least a fairly determined swallow. Apparently, potion containers aren't so much 'bottles' as 'slightly oversized test tubes'.

J-H
2017-01-05, 08:57 PM
Thanks, I had never seen that.
One ounce is about the size of those 5-hour energy shots, right?

Grim Portent
2017-01-05, 08:59 PM
Couldn't that Glorytongue power be turned into a permanent magical item fairly cheaply?

You could walk around wearing an amulet that let's your tongue stretch 100 feet and strangle people for just a couple of thousand gold, which is actually kind of amazing.

John Longarrow
2017-01-05, 09:00 PM
Couldn't that Glorytongue power be turned into a permanent magical item fairly cheaply?

You could walk around wearing an amulet that let's your tongue stretch 100 feet and strangle people for just a couple of thousand gold, which is actually kind of amazing.

And it would pay for itself quickly with the kinds of movie cameo's you'd be able to get!

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-05, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I had never seen that.
One ounce is about the size of those 5-hour energy shots, right?

Those are 2oz, actually. Potion vials are likely thick-walled enough to make them about the same size, though.

That reminds me of another one that might interact oddly with glorytongue; the mohrg tongue graft. 'Cause just grafting undead flesh into your own isn't strange enough, let's do it with the mutated tongue-tacle of a serial killer. Yeah, that sounds like fun...

thorr-kan
2017-01-05, 11:22 PM
Apparently, potion containers aren't so much 'bottles' as 'slightly oversized test tubes'.
Jello shots!

Explains why the potions are so hard to find in your backpack.

Inevitability
2017-01-06, 05:12 AM
Those are 2oz, actually. Potion vials are likely thick-walled enough to make them about the same size, though.

That reminds me of another one that might interact oddly with glorytongue; the mohrg tongue graft. 'Cause just grafting undead flesh into your own isn't strange enough, let's do it with the mutated tongue-tacle of a serial killer. Yeah, that sounds like fun...

Don't forget the fact that said tongue extends down into your abdomen, if the mohrg picture (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG189b.jpg) is anything to go by.

Don't do mass-murders, kids. You'll just end up with stomach-tongues.

Venger
2017-01-06, 11:37 AM
But what's will happen if you cast Aberrate on Animal (temporary changing it's type to Aberration), then - persisted fox's cunning?
Or even better - feed it a fruit of Intelligence from Mottlegrasp’s Orchard in Bytopia (gives inherent Int bonus - like from the Wish/Miracle)

I would gather once aberrate runs out fox cunning remains active, but ceases to have any function. Like if you used polymorph to turn into a rhinoceros and then cast animal growth on yourself. And then, polymorph was dispelled. You would still have animal growth cast upon you, but It wouldn't actually be doing anything.

Since animals can't have an int of higher than 2 i don't think they would be a valid target,like someone who already had a +5 inherent bonus.

Well done for invoking mottlegrasps orchard. Now that's some strange fruit.

ShurikVch
2017-01-06, 12:52 PM
I would gather once aberrate runs out fox cunning remains active, but ceases to have any function. Like if you used polymorph to turn into a rhinoceros and then cast animal growth on yourself. And then, polymorph was dispelled. You would still have animal growth cast upon you, but It wouldn't actually be doing anything. You got it wrong: if target is no more a legal for the spell - then spell, despite it, will keep working

The Viscount
2017-01-06, 01:31 PM
Be sure to toss in osteomancer and flux adept for weird bones and giant hands, and disciple of the eye for ray-shooting eyestalks.

I was always mystified by how the mohrg tongue in no way interferes with speech. Does it just pull back out of the way when you talk, or do you just get really good at adjusting?

Telok
2017-01-06, 06:13 PM
Isn't this imply animals can't have inteligence score higher than 2?

What it actually says (in the srd, I'm afb) is that no creature with an Int of three or greater can have the animal type. There doesn't appear to be anything saying that you can't boost an animal's Int and the Int boosting stuff all works on creatures as long as they already have Int scores. Plus, in every case where things explicitly increase an animal's Int above 2 the animal changes into a magical beast.

So there's a plausable argument that any animal becomes a magical beast when it's Int is three or more.

On a different note Reciprocal Gyre has "object" it's target line and a Will save for half damage.

gr8artist
2017-01-07, 11:45 PM

Something like this or this (http://www.thepurplearmadillo.com/store/media/kiss%20black%20gene%20simmons%20necklace.JPG), perhaps?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/20/7a/a7/207aa75e27ab44cc18884f29906e0064.jpg

Xuldarinar
2017-01-08, 01:14 AM
Don't forget the fact that said tongue extends down into your abdomen, if the mohrg picture (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG189b.jpg) is anything to go by.

Don't do mass-murders, kids. You'll just end up with stomach-tongues.

To be more accurate; A morag's tongue is an organ that merges the tongue with their Intestines (and the rest of their digestive tract for that matter). So.. You have a ~30ft. long mass of necrotic flesh that you are having put into your body and figure out how to install without messing with your living digestive system. Where does -this- tongue get anchored anyway..?

unseenmage
2017-01-08, 01:52 AM
One that bugs me and I'm constantly vexed by it is that the PF clockwork subtype makes all clockworks cost what half again as much as they should? For constructs that are already electricity vulnerable AND have to be wound? Urgh.

That and the Clockwork Mage, the freakin mage, has Int "--"! Why? Who wants to build a mage that's only as smart as a zombie? That cant follow complex commands?

Both of the above I somehow always forget about, then later double take at when reading through them.

magwaaf
2019-06-16, 10:53 AM

dude defenestrate was a key spell fot the bad guys in their throne rooms before 3rd ed lol

zergling.exe
2019-06-16, 12:14 PM
{scrubbed}

PraxisVetli
2019-06-16, 12:59 PM

Um... what?

Eww...

What the... I don't...

How? That's just...

Aaaagh!

What in the what?

Use it with Share Pain .

Haruki-kun
2019-06-16, 10:37 PM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.