PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Paranoia: Tips and Tricks

braveheart
2016-12-16, 05:38 PM
I am about to do a session of paranoia for my usual play group, and I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for the game to help keep the group in the moment. 3 of the players are in my regular campaigns. 2 are friends of mine that have never rolled a D20 before, and 1 I've never role-played with but does have some experience, including limited experience with Paranoia.

I have never played paranoia, and wish for any advice you can provide to help with running the session.

Segev
2016-12-16, 05:55 PM
Pass notes. Lots of them. Encourage the players to pass you notes. Even if the notes are meaningless. Notes such as, "Look at Bob and chuckle, then wink at me and nod," are great for Paranoia games. I'm not kidding, even though this behavior leads to humor at the table (which is kind of a point in Paranoia).

Also, take people literally at their actions. Not enough to be frustrating, but enough to emphasize how little their characters know about certain things. RIGIDLY enforce security clearance rules. Ask them if they're looking at that [higher than their clearance] paper with the instructions for their weapon.

Some of your notes should be random, pointless instructions and "missions" from their secret societies.

Be unfair. Give some players promotions in security clearance just to be fun. Do it privately, so they can try to tell the others about it. Or do it on a piece of paper in their new clearance color. See if they dare read it. Then see if the others dare look at it to check.

Telok
2016-12-16, 08:19 PM
Silly is OK.

The guided missile doc-bots, while not R&Ds best idea, were freaking hilarious once the players realized that they could call in medical emergencies for other people.

keybounce
2016-12-17, 06:14 PM
Pass notes. Lots of them. ... Or do it on a piece of paper in their new clearance color. See if they dare read it. Then see if the others dare look at it to check.

Oh, colored note paper? SHHESH, I did not think of that when I ran paranoia.

Absolutely. Best way to start the briefing I can think of -- give them instructions on white paper, and kill a whole room of clones at once :-)

John Longarrow
2016-12-17, 11:50 PM
Step 1) The computer wishes you to be happy.
Step 2) All those not happy should report to reactor 16 for use as shielding.
Step 3) Have a nice day. Failure to have a nice day is a treasonable offense.
Step 4) The computer is your friend. The computer wants you to be happy. Are you happy?
Step 5) Please report to sector 119 blue for your mission briefing. All those who report are terminated for going to a higher security level area than they are allowed. Those who fail are given treason points. Those who point this out are terminated for questioned the computer.
Step 6) All clones report to transport bay 117-R for transport to mission site. Transport goes at 300 kph. Driver is buckled in with a 9 point restraint system. Clones are in the open back (no seats, no restraints). STR check to hang on when it starts. Those who fail fall off immediately. Those who hang on need to make progressively harder STR checks till they all fall off and are killed. Backup clones are at mission location.

From there, have fun! Issue rotary blade engagement systems with telescopic sites, silencers, folding stocks, pistol grips, rail systems, laser designators, and thermal sites!

Kurald Galain
2016-12-18, 02:40 PM
Give players secret and mutually-contradictory missions.

Give a team of five troubleshooters only four laser pistols, and let them figure out how to divide them.

Use M&Ms as clearance-coded minis for a large-scale battle.

Terminate characters if their player rolls a green-clearance d20 instead of a red-clearance one.

Remember to always append -cycle, -clearance, and -clone to appropriate (or seemingly appropriate) words.

Use the plot from a recent movie (or D&D game) as a big inspiration for Paranoia. Yes, you too can chase the evil mutant Vold-Y-MRT on broombots throughout HOG sector as he tries to gather the seven horcruffins.

Forms, lots of forms. Including sections where the question is (CLASSIFIED) but needs to be answered anyway.

And remember to have fun. It's mandatory, after all.

Lacco
2016-12-18, 03:02 PM
Don't forget: rules lawyers are traitors since GM-section is off limits!

And now I should report for summary execution :smallbiggrin:

Equipment is fun (for the GM): LINK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405709-Useless-Inappropriate-and-Amusing-Equipment&highlight=alpha+complex)to good source.