PDA

View Full Version : Society based on magic items?

danielxcutter
2016-12-16, 08:42 PM
So, I've seen a couple of similar threads, but could a society based on magic items, instead of farming, exist in a D&D world? If so, how would it work?

I don't remember everything people have mentioned, but here are the things I do recall.

*Continual-use items or use-activated items of Create Food and Water, to solve the food problem.

*Eternal wands of Cure Light Wounds(and Inflict Light Wounds if undead are part of the population).

*I forget the name, but I think there was a cantrip that was basically Wish-lite if used creatively. Prestig-something, I think.

*Eternal wands of other assorted cantrips such as Dancing Lights.

As for what the commoners would do for a living, I presume that they would either be the ones who harvest/find/gather/whatever-you-call-it the raw materials for the magic items, or they'd do stuff that couldn't be done with magic. That last part is possible when you consider that modern society is basically that.

People have made strong arguments that such a society could exist, so I think it would work... But there would be obstacles to this if advancing an existing civilization, and even if that's solved, I don't know exactly how it would work, and what magic items to use. So fellow forumers, could you guys give me some help?

Zanos
2016-12-16, 08:47 PM
There's this new setting, you might have heard of it. It's called...Eshmalon? Erganon? Ebaron? Something like that.

danielxcutter
2016-12-16, 08:58 PM
There's this new setting, you might have heard of it. It's called...Eshmalon? Erganon? Ebaron? Something like that.

I should have seen this coming... I did hear that Eberron had lots of magitek, but I'm trying to start with non-setting-specific stuff and expand from there. Still, really good point - I didn't know that Eberron was that magitek-centered. Blame my zero ranks in Knowledge(D&D settings). :smallredface:

John Longarrow
2016-12-16, 09:20 PM
Sounds like your looking for the Tippyverse (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222007-The-Difinitive-Guide-to-the-Tippyverse-By-Emperor-Tippy/Page1).