PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Roguish Bard

Thurbane
2016-12-16, 09:08 PM
Looking for help on a build.

I want to make a character that is primarily a Bard, but with the following abilities:

- Trapfinding
- Search as a class skill
- Sneak Attack

..I'd like to keep as close to full Bard casting as possible, as well as Bardic Music abilities.

The simplest option seems to be Rogue 1/Bard X - but that would only get 1d6 SA.

Is there some PrCs that would help, or feats?

I'd like to avoid Prestige Bard please.

All ideas welcome.

Cheers - T

Palanan
2016-12-16, 09:23 PM
If you'd be willing to consider one feat from Pathfinder, there's Accomplished Sneak Attacker from Dirty Tactics Toolbox, which increases your SNA damage by 1d6.

Not glorious, but it does give you a bit more punch at lower levels.

ChaosStar
2016-12-16, 09:35 PM
Sorry at my grandma's currently and don't have access to my own D&D books. Try looking in Complete Adventurer though, I think I saw something in there that might help.

Troacctid
2016-12-16, 09:46 PM
There are no prestige classes that advance both bardic music and sneak attack. You'll have to give up one or the other, unless you can convince your DM to use the homebrew prestige class in my signature.

Trapfinding can be gained via the Shape Soulmeld (Theft Gloves) feat, in conjunction with either the Open Least Chakra (Hands) feat or the open chakra, least spell (which you can learn as a Sublime Chord or Lyric Thaumaturge).

You can gain Search as a class skill while advancing bardic music via any of the following classes: Worldspeaker, Mourner, Memory Smith, Battle Howler of Gruumsh, Green Whisperer, or Heartfire Fanner. All of these also offer full advancement for bard casting (and Green Whisperer gives you free druid casting on top of it).

stanprollyright
2016-12-16, 10:59 PM
There's also Unseen Seer and Arcane Trickster, both full-casting PrCs that give you sneak attack progression (Arcane Trickster requires you have sneak attack already). Can also get Assassin's Stance from ToB for 2d6 sneak attack with the Martial Stance feat or a Swordsage dip. This is a nice option because it qualifies you for Arcane Trickster without taking 3 levels in another class, and you can get the Shadow Hand feat for dex to damage.

Trapfinding is dumb and you should plead with your DM to ignore the arbitrary rule that makes it necessary.

Thurbane
2017-01-16, 10:06 PM
Flipping through the dragon Compendium last night, I found a ring that gives +3 to search checks and allows the wearer to find traps as if they were a Rogue.

Getting search as a class skill might be tricky, but if I'm reading everything right, a combo of Dragtouched and Draconic Heritage should do the trick.

Another two feats to get a martial stance for Sneak Attack.

Seems to be a very feat-intensive exercise.

stanprollyright
2017-01-16, 10:57 PM
Seems to be a very feat-intensive exercise.

Compared to a Rogue dip, yeah. Most Bards get their d6s from Dragonfire Inspiration :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2017-01-16, 11:00 PM
Looking for help on a build.

I want to make a character that is primarily a Bard, but with the following abilities:

- Trapfinding
- Search as a class skill
- Sneak Attack

..I'd like to keep as close to full Bard casting as possible, as well as Bardic Music abilities.

The simplest option seems to be Rogue 1/Bard X - but that would only get 1d6 SA.

Is there some PrCs that would help, or feats?

I'd like to avoid Prestige Bard please.

All ideas welcome.

Cheers - T

You could always go for Craven to get +1/lvl sneak damage.

Thurbane
2017-01-16, 11:19 PM
Compared to a Rogue dip, yeah. Most Bards get their d6s from Dragonfire Inspiration :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, starting to look like I'd be far better off with a 1 level Rogue dip, then the rest in bard. Maybe human for Able Learner.

You could always go for Craven to get +1/lvl sneak damage.

Good call. Although I really dislike the fluff of that feat.

Anthrowhale
2017-01-16, 11:48 PM
Trickster Spellthief grants Bard + some Sorcerer spellcasting with 1d6 sneak attack.

Heartfire Fanner could be used for access to Search and Bardic Music at a 2-feat tax (Apprentice[Entertainer] + SF[Perform]).

Spellthief also has the right skills to get into Sublime Chord.