PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get involved in Play-By-Post

Slay33
2016-12-17, 12:03 AM
I would really like to begin in play-by-post. Since I would like to learn, Ill start off by joining a few games as a player, but I am honestly confused. I have little-to-no-knowledge of serious D&D Or pathfinder, as the only real life tabletop games I have played have been mostly homebrew and roleplay. While I am no stranger to forum roleplay, I have no knowledge of the dice roller or how to make a character according to the respective versions of the game.

My question is, Where do I even begin? I have lots to learn, and would like to begin as soon as possible. Any advice for a beginning (Player, Not GM)

Knaight
2016-12-17, 03:13 AM
There's a ton of games recruiting people in the play by post section on this forum. Look for one that interests you, learn whatever the particular game is, and hop in. Stuff like how to use the forum roller is documented all over the place, but if you want to see actual examples just pick a game in progress.

Koo Rehtorb
2016-12-17, 10:44 AM
If you're looking to get a better grasp on D&D rules in general may I suggest starting with a CRPG like Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale? That'll let you fool around and learn without getting thrown in the deep end.

Slay33
2016-12-17, 12:16 PM
If you're looking to get a better grasp on D&D rules in general may I suggest starting with a CRPG like Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale? That'll let you fool around and learn without getting thrown in the deep end.

I think I will check that out. Thank you, both!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-17, 01:40 PM
I second what Knaight said. I'll also answer a few specific questions to save you some time.

I have no knowledge of the dice roller

This is covered under 'using the forum dice roller' here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257924-Guide-to-Play-by-Post-Games).

At the most basic level, you type something like: 1d20+5, which will roll you 1d20+5.

or how to make a character according to the respective versions of the game.

For this, you'll need to pick up a copy of the rules. The most popular systems around here are probably 3.5, Pathfinder and 5e. I only know 5e, but you can find the basic rules for that here (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf), legally and for free!

My question is, Where do I even begin? I have lots to learn, and would like to begin as soon as possible. Any advice for a beginning (Player, Not GM)

Really, my advice would be to read the rules. I know the books are long and full of legalese, but people are going to assume you know what an attack roll is, what happens when you get dropped to 0 HP, when you regain spent spell slots, etc. Even if you tell them you're a newbie, there's a basic level of knowledge that will be assumed, and the only way to get it is to read the books.

Freed
2016-12-20, 06:39 PM
The most basic things for me were ability scores. So I'll explain them.
Ability scores are created by roll 4 6-sided dice and combining the top three rolls, and then assigning this number to one of the following abilities. Do this six times. The bonus to rolls you have with the score is the number of points you assign to the score minus 10 and divided by 2. (Ex, 12 = +1, and 8 = -1.)
Here are the scores.
Dexterity (Dex) Overall agility. Adds to stealth, thievery, acrobatics, etc. Determines damage for ranged weapons.
Strength (Str) Fairly self explanatory. Adds to athletics and melee damage.
Constitution (Con) Determines HP, Endurance, and resistance to poisons.
Intellegence (Int) Adds to knowledge checks. Is also the base for some arcane (wizard, warlock and sorcere magics) magic attacks
Charisma (Cha) Adds to social interaction checks (Bluff, Diplomacy) Is the base score for some arcane magic attacks.
Wisdom (Wis) Adds to perception and is the main score for nature magic.

russdm
2016-12-20, 08:11 PM
Given that Pathfinder is essentially house-ruled 3.5, you don't need to know it. Knowing 3.5 can help and there is a forum for 3.5 that you can peruse for advice.

You should also learn about D&D Next, which is better than Pathfinder anyway. You should learn about other systems for games you want to play.

That list includes:
Fate (For pizza-throwing? I don't know why)
SW Saga (For D20 Crappy Star Wars needs)
FFG Star Wars (Star Wars, and Good)
D6 / WEG Star Wars (Real quality Star Wars, better than FFG Star Wars, and miles beyond SW Saga)
oWoD / nWoD (Depends on which one the group is going to use)
Anything else that people are actually using for games that you want to join

List of those you don't need:
Pathfinder (Unless you already play it, you won't need it; It's just House-ruled D&D 3.5 with a fancy name. Personally, would avoid)
Anything relating to FATAL (Avoid it like the plague)
Anything based on Twilight
Anything based on Game of Thrones (Your sanity will thank you)
Anything Horror related that isn't WoD (I don't think anyone else knows how to do horror RPGs at all)

thirdkingdom
2016-12-20, 09:22 PM
I would also recommend reading some good IC threads so you can see how other people run games. You probably want to pick threads with several hundred posts, at minimum.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-21, 02:33 AM
I would also recommend reading some good IC threads so you can see how other people run games. You probably want to pick threads with several hundred posts, at minimum.

If you want, you're welcome to read through any of my games (A Faerie Affair is D&D 5e, and is up to 3,150 posts; you can find links to the others on the OOC, which is linked in my sig). I've always found reading other people's IC threads to be mind-numbingly boring though. It might be partly because you don't get to appreciate the timing of the posts and the OOC context that accompanied them.

It might help calibrate your expectations as to what sorts of things players will post, though.

Cicero87
2016-12-24, 11:58 AM
There's a few on Facebook I can't link you since I only just honed l joined this forum but the one I have is called Play By Post All RPGs