PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What do I buy?

deathbymanga
2016-12-17, 12:45 AM
So, a DM friend of mine is starting a High level campaign at lvl 15 and since I've never gotten that far, I don't know what I should buy. I'm Grabbing Guantlets of Ogre's Strength and Adamantine Armor, but even that second one just seems like a formality

I'm playing a Melee Cleric/Sorcerer focusing on Grappling the enemy then Quick-casting touch and Cone attacks on the enemy. Focusing mostly on Shocking Grasp and High level Inflict Wounds on people, as well as meleeing the enemy with a Battle-Axe or two.

But this all feels like it could be done at low-level. What should I aim to do at high levels?

Specter
2016-12-17, 03:08 PM
Mantle of Spell Resistance. That'll save your life.

lunaticfringe
2016-12-17, 03:48 PM
How much cash do you have and what is the limit on attunement, if any?

deathbymanga
2016-12-17, 03:52 PM
How much cash do you have and what is the limit on attunement, if any?

I don't know, I'm assuming standard starting equipment for 15th level characters

JumboWheat01
2016-12-17, 03:55 PM
One can never have too many bags of holding.

Sigreid
2016-12-17, 03:57 PM
Prayer beads. Nothing says win for a cleric like getting some spells back.

deathbymanga
2016-12-17, 04:05 PM
Prayer beads. Nothing says win for a cleric like getting some spells back.

he's a 2 Cleric, 13 Sorc

Foxhound438
2016-12-17, 06:21 PM
One can never have too many bags of holding.

especially for a chainlock with an imp familiar that can run up to something and put one inside the other.

Tanarii
2016-12-17, 06:42 PM
I don't know, I'm assuming standard starting equipment for 15th level characters
In that case is it low magic, normal, or high magic?

"Standard" starting magical items would be one uncommon for low, two uncommon for normal, and three uncommon plus 1 rare for high.

deathbymanga
2016-12-17, 09:28 PM
In that case is it low magic, normal, or high magic?

"Standard" starting magical items would be one uncommon for low, two uncommon for normal, and three uncommon plus 1 rare for high.

I'm assuming Normal Magic Level. the DM himself hasn't given it much thought

AttilatheYeon
2016-12-18, 02:25 AM
Staff of power

djreynolds
2016-12-18, 03:42 AM
Boots of flying, helm of teleportation

JAL_1138
2016-12-18, 04:03 AM
If it's an option, seconding the recommendation for the Staff of Power. One of the best items for a sorc.

For a lesser/uncommon magic item, the Ring of Spell Storing isn't half bad. Not as nice as Boots of Flying, but a few extra slots per day is never unwelcome.

Citan
2016-12-18, 11:39 AM
If it's an option, seconding the recommendation for the Staff of Power. One of the best items for a sorc.

For a lesser/uncommon magic item, the Ring of Spell Storing isn't half bad. Not as nice as Boots of Flying, but a few extra slots per day is never unwelcome.
I'd go on a limb and say that Ring of Spell Storing can go from "just good" to "epically great" depending on how to use it.

The fact that the one who "stores" the spells and the one who actually use them can be different people, even non-casters, while still using the original casters's ability and such, brings a hellish bunch of good things to do.

Obvious contingency tactic: have the most tanky of the group carry a Ring storing one Revivify and two Healing Words, to not stupidly lose control over the situation when your only healer has been downed for the count.

Or giving it with some nice low-levels, ever useful buffs (Bless, Shield of Faith, Heroism even) or debuffs (Hex, Hunter's Mark, Slow) stored to any non-caster who would have nothing to do with his Concentration until then. So yourself big caster can concentrate on better, higher spells (Spirit Guardians / Polymorph / Haste / Walls X etc) and you didn't affect your friend's capability in any way, since he doesn't have any other competition for this economy resource (concentration).

In short, this ring is not a simple additive in spellcasting power. It's a potential multiplicative. ;)
Only limit is that you can't Metamagic the spells when storing them... Well, you can, but it won't be affecting the "real" cast so it would be a waste (note: I'm not sure of what RAW/RAI actually is, but it seemed the most logical to me at first glance since it's still the one wielding the ring that "casts" in the end, and my comprehension is that Metamagic is an effect applied "at the cast". But I guess it depends on how you understand the latter "cast").

EDIT: Isn't Ring of Spell Storing a rare item though? AFB but feels too powerful for an "uncommon" item...

Tanarii
2016-12-18, 11:54 AM
EDIT: Isn't Ring of Spell Storing a rare item though? AFB but feels too powerful for an "uncommon" item...
It's rare, so wouldn't be available unless the DM is running a high magic campaign (per the DMG guidelines) or using some custom rules for starting equipment.

(IMO this is one of those cases where 'guidelines' is far more appropriate term than 'rules'. I also found interesting/funny that the OP chose to use the term 'buy' for starting magic items.)

deathbymanga
2016-12-18, 01:00 PM
It's rare, so wouldn't be available unless the DM is running a high magic campaign (per the DMG guidelines) or using some custom rules for starting equipment.

(IMO this is one of those cases where 'guidelines' is far more appropriate term than 'rules'. I also found interesting/funny that the OP chose to use the term 'buy' for starting magic items.)

I get two uncommon magic item slots to "purchase" using said slots. Sorry, with how much of a resource game 5e is, i couldn't help but call it that.

Staff of Power is also a Rare item so I can't get that either

Âmesang
2016-12-18, 10:47 PM
Prove Homer Simpson wrong.

Buy a DINOSAUR.

Tanarii
2016-12-19, 12:29 AM
Sorry, with how much of a resource game 5e is, i couldn't help but call it that.

Oh okay, that makes a lot more sense. I thought it was funny in an interesting way because 5e strongly discourages buying magical items, unless the DM really wants to make it happen.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-19, 07:17 AM
Well, if you get two uncommon slots, Staff of the War Mage is pretty handy for sorcerers.

After that a few good second selection Uncommon items include:
Bag of Holding
Broom of Flying
Cloak of Protection
and Pearl of Power.

MrStabby
2016-12-19, 07:56 AM
Weapon of warning is very powerful but kind of less good for fun. It eliminates a lot of tension.