PDA

View Full Version : Femininity

-Cor-
2007-07-16, 06:36 PM
So, in my current game I'm playing a female character. Oddly enough however, and contrary to what my father thinks, I'm actually a guy.

I really enjoy playing female characters though because it sums up what DnD is to me. Pretending to be something I couldn't be in real life (barring surgery or the negation of physics). I'm never going to be a sword swinging barbarian and I'm never going to be able to create fire with a gesture. I'm also never going to have a vagina.

I draw a lot of inspiration for my female characters from the 5 women in my life that have had the most profound impact on me. Namely: my mother, my sister, my wife, my daughter, and my best-friend/daughter's godmother. Obviously, I'll never truly know what it's like to be a woman, but with the resources at my disposal, I feel I have come very close to representing femininity in my characters.

((Before I go on, if any of you are thinking of responding with anything like this: "[Scrubbed - Even in jest, the use of slurs against a sexual orientation is not permitted here.]" or "That's stupid, who cares!?" please keep your comments to yourself.))

One of the things I've never incorporated into a game, and something that came up during a discussion with my fellow players, was the concept of a woman's monthly cycle. I decided that my character this time would have a normal healthy cycle and that I would role-play the effects it has on her. Simply a role-play thing, nothing crazy. I did some research on how menses was handled during the medieval and renaissance time periods and figured I had a pretty good handle on it. I would have to spend a few extra coppers to buy some wool padding (probably scraps from a seamstress), and I would have to handle cleanliness and disposal issues (character is a bit CDO (that's like OCD only in alphabetical order like it's supposed to be dang it!)). I would also try to role-play some mental and physical discomfort.

All well and good until someone said something along the lines of, "Yeah, and you'll have a negative circumstance modifier to be tracked by scent." Of course, the jokes got worse from there.

But it got me thinking. How would one handle the D20 mechanics of a "visit from Aunt Flo"? I've given this a lot of thought and had a number of discussions on appropriate penalties and plusses with gamers both male and female. So, in that vein and taking a cue from UA, I present to you, the Menses Flaw.

Menses (Flaw)
Effect: Every 28 days from the start of the game or the end of the previous effect, you suffer a -2 penalty to DEX and CHA for 2d4 days. Additionally, anyone tracking you by scent has a +5 circumstance modifier.
Prereq: Female Humanoid. Campaign that tracks time.
Bonus: For taking this flaw, you may choose one feat from the following list that is in effect "only" for the 2d4 days of duration of the Menses flaw.
Possible Feats:

Woman's Intuition
Effect: Twice per day as a swift action you become clear of thought and may act as if under the effect of the True Strike spell until the end of your turn.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw)

Motherly Instinct
Effect: Twice per day as an immediate action you may intercept the damage being dealt to any ally adjacent to you. The intercept must be declared before the attack roll. If the attack is unsuccessful, the attempt is wasted.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw)

Crimson Rage
Effect: You gain one extra rage per day. At the end of this rage, you suffer no ill effects as you normally would.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw), Rage Class Ability

Banshee Wail
Effect: You know how to make your instrument or voice produce a painfully shrill sound. Twice per day as a swift action while performing, you Wail dealing 1d6/two character levels (max 5d6) sonic damage to all in a 20 ft radius burst centered on you. Will Save for half. DC equal to 1/2 Performance Skill Check.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw), Perform(Any) 5 ranks

Bitch in Heat
Effect: Your animal companion treats you as if you were in heat and fights or performs extra well for you. It gains a +1 on attacks/saves/skill checks.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw), Animal Companion

Nuturing Nature
Effect: You gain +5 to Heal Checks. All Conjuration (Healing) spells cast at +1 caster level.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw), Heal 5 ranks

Bathed in Blood
Effect: Twice per day as a swift action you add a drop of your own blood as a component to any arcane spell with a Fortitude Save. The subject/s, if affected by the initial spell, are also covered in a sticky red mucous and must make a second Fortitude Save (same DC) or be Nauseated for 2 rounds. A successful save means the target is only Sickened for 1 round.
Prereq: Menses (Flaw), Ability to cast Arcane Spells

Special: Each new duration of the Menses flaw enables you to pick a different Menses Feat for that duration. You can only have one Menses Feat at a time, and it only lasts for the duration of the flaw.

So, there's that. I would appreciate any and all thoughts and comments. A lot of thought and effort went into this, so please don't rip me completely apart though.

kjones
2007-07-16, 06:42 PM
Dear Gawd, what have you done?

That being said, Woman's Intuition is dramatically overpowered. The ability to cast True Strike as a swift action is very, very powerful; this is why the spell is a standard action, so you can't cast it and use it in the same round.

I'm not even going to touch the thought of whether this is a remotely good idea, other than to say that I think you are somewhat overplaying the effect of menstruation on women... Most of the time, you can't even tell, and I'd say the effect is definitely not substantial enough to give a -2 to DEX and CHA. -1, maybe, if anything, but I don't really think menstruation would affect your sense of personality.

-Cor-
2007-07-16, 06:46 PM
Dear Gawd, what have you done?

I'm not 100% sure.

That being said, Woman's Intuition is dramatically overpowered. The ability to cast True Strike as a swift action is very, very powerful; this is why the spell is a standard action, so you can't cast it and use it in the same round.

Thus, it's only twice per day, and comes at a pretty heavy flaw price as you mention in the following:

I'm not even going to touch the thought of whether this is a remotely good idea, other than to say that I think you are somewhat overplaying the effect of menstruation on women... Most of the time, you can't even tell, and I'd say the effect is definitely not substantial enough to give a -2 to DEX and CHA. -1, maybe, if anything, but I don't really think menstruation would affect your sense of personality.

The -2 Dex/Cha and other penalties were debated back and forth for quite a while before my wife finally just said that's what I should use: "Bloated/Uncoordinated/Bitchy... make a flaw that encompasses that."

Bassetking
2007-07-16, 06:51 PM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/i-have-seen-the-end.jpg

SadisticFishing
2007-07-16, 06:53 PM
Once per day swift true strike would still be overpowered, methinks. Too much potential for abuse, and even if you ignore all that, it's just too good to have only a 5% chance to miss twice a day.

Other than that, if I wanted to roleplay a women with the cycle, I would just pay attention to how many days had passed and be slightly bitchier once a month, see if anyone in the group notices (the key is not to tell anyone but your DM)

-Cor-
2007-07-16, 06:58 PM
Other than that, if I wanted to roleplay a women with the cycle, I would just pay attention to how many days had passed and be slightly bitchier once a month, see if anyone in the group notices (the key is not to tell anyone but your DM)

This was the initial idea. It snowballed from there. Stupid insomnia.

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-16, 07:02 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Yeah, I thought that's where this was coming from/going. It's not appropriate here, both for the explicitness and the insultingness.