PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Nightgaunts as a playable Race?

Xaroth
2016-12-17, 11:17 AM
So I was poking around and I found out that there's a Nightgaunt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/nightgaunt) race on the pathfinder SRD, for an encounter. However, I was kinda wanting to transfer this into a 3.5e race, and make it playable.

There IS this homebrew thing someone made (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Nightgaunt_(3.5e_Creature)) but I really don't like the look of it, from what I know about Nightgaunts this doesn't really strike me as being one, whereas the Pathfinder one seems really accurate.

So, I wanted to try and get it in 3.5e, but playable! But I was looking for help. Racial advancement would be interesting to tackle.

Any thoughts on how to make a Nightgaunt playable in 3.5e?

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-18, 02:19 AM
Nightgaunt:

ECL 5 in 3.5:

Str+8, dex +4, con +4, int -6, wis +4
40' fly (average), 30' base
Natural attacks: 2 claws (as text)
+5 Natural AC
60' Blindsight
5 RHD (monstrous humanoid: d8, good BAB, Good ref+will, 2+int skill points, 60' DV)
Faceless (Ex): As text
Tickle (Ex): As text
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, Lightning Reflexes
Racial +4 to Hide

Brewed ECL 1:

Str +2, int -2
Base land speed 30', base fly speed 30' (average)
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (extraplanar)
Secondary natural attacks: 2 claws (1d3)
60' Blindsense, no normal vision
Racial +2 to grapple checks
Faceless (Ex): Cannot be affected by gaze attacks or any other effects requiring vision (eg illusions, explosive runes), nor can it be affected by scent or smell-based attacks (such as stinking cloud). A Nightgaunt cannot and does not need to breathe, eat, or drink.
Tickle (Ex): Once the Nightgaunt has successfully grappled a foe, the foe must make a fort DC 11 (10+HD+dex mod) save or be nauseated for 1 rd.
No Speech (Ex): Nightgaunts cannot speak, and do not automatically know how to read or write. A Nightgaunt may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to write the langauges it knows.
SLA: Charm Person 1/day. CL equals HD.

It's a bit close to Grod's Law, but these are fairly powerful creatures and need a significant nerf to be playable from ECL 1. I think this statblock keeps the essentials (faceless, extraplanar, tickles/ grapples), while balancing it against its shortcomings (faceless). They make a pretty poor PC race given that they can't talk. The SLA makes it easier to get into Mindbender for telepathy; once they're level 5 they should be qualified.

Xaroth
2016-12-18, 09:56 AM
Nightgaunt:

ECL 5 in 3.5:

Str+8, dex +4, con +4, int -6, wis +4
40' fly (average), 30' base
Natural attacks: 2 claws (as text)
+5 Natural AC
60' Blindsight
5 RHD (monstrous humanoid: d8, good BAB, Good ref+will, 2+int skill points, 60' DV)
Faceless (Ex): As text
Tickle (Ex): As text
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, Lightning Reflexes
Racial +4 to Hide

Brewed ECL 1:

Str +2, int -2
Base land speed 30', base fly speed 30' (average)
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (extraplanar)
Secondary natural attacks: 2 claws (1d3)
60' Blindsense, no normal vision
Racial +2 to grapple checks
Faceless (Ex): Cannot be affected by gaze attacks or any other effects requiring vision (eg illusions, explosive runes), nor can it be affected by scent or smell-based attacks (such as stinking cloud). A Nightgaunt cannot and does not need to breathe, eat, or drink.
Tickle (Ex): Once the Nightgaunt has successfully grappled a foe, the foe must make a fort DC 11 (10+HD+dex mod) save or be nauseated for 1 rd.
No Speech (Ex): Nightgaunts cannot speak, and do not automatically know how to read or write. A Nightgaunt may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to write the langauges it knows.
SLA: Charm Person 1/day. CL equals HD.

It's a bit close to Grod's Law, but these are fairly powerful creatures and need a significant nerf to be playable from ECL 1. I think this statblock keeps the essentials (faceless, extraplanar, tickles/ grapples), while balancing it against its shortcomings (faceless). They make a pretty poor PC race given that they can't talk. The SLA makes it easier to get into Mindbender for telepathy; once they're level 5 they should be qualified.

This is awesome, thanks!