PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Stupid Template Question

lylsyly
2016-12-17, 11:56 AM
I know I can apply a template to characters and monsters.
My google fu is missing today and I can't find it in a book.

1. Where does it say how many templates you can apply?

2. Is there a Template Handbook?

I feel incredibly stupid today, must be because I am still reading that thread

Venger
2016-12-17, 12:02 PM
I know I can apply a template to characters and monsters.
My google fu is missing today and I can't find it in a book.

1. Where does it say how many templates you can apply?

2. Is there a Template Handbook?

I feel incredibly stupid today, must be because I am still reading that thread

There is no limit to the number of templates you can apply as long as you qualify for them all and don't run out of LA for whatever level you're playing at.

There are many. Go down to the template subheader of the handbook handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12678.0) and you'll find what you need.

lylsyly
2016-12-17, 01:23 PM
There is no limit to the number of templates you can apply as long as you qualify for them all and don't run out of LA for whatever level you're playing at.

Okay, but where does it say this?

There are many. Go down to the template subheader of the handbook handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12678.0) and you'll find what you need.

Thanks for the link, wish I had it 3 months ago.

Inevitability
2016-12-17, 01:27 PM
Okay, but where does it say this?

Nothing says there's a limit on templates, so there isn't one.

There's no rule limiting the amount of needles a PC can possess either, and would any sane DM say that means you can carry only one?

lylsyly
2016-12-17, 01:48 PM
Nothing says there's a limit on templates, so there isn't one.

There's no rule limiting the amount of needles a PC can possess either, and would any sane DM say that means you can carry only one?

So no problem applying both Magebred and Warbeast templates to my Animal Companion?

DrMotives
2016-12-17, 02:08 PM
So no problem applying both Magebred and Warbeast templates to my Animal Companion?

Sure, they can both work at the same time. So magebred is an inherited template, which means your animal must be born with it. Warbeast is an acquired template, it's gained by training the animal. That means the order you get those is set, but they don't conflict at all. None of these things changes the type from animal to something else, which is the biggest reason certain templates may not go together in certain orders.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-17, 02:15 PM

Neither of these templates can be applied to an animal companion normally. Magebred can only be taken in highly specific circumstances and Warbeast can only be taken if you interpret it as acquired (there is no clean answer to if it is acquired or inherited). A random animal can cleanly have both but animal companions have restrictions.

Zanos
2016-12-17, 02:15 PM
If your DM lets you find such a creature, sure. While there's no technical limit to the number of templates a creature can have outside of ECL concerns, you don't get to design and build things that aren't your PC. Your DM has control over anything special about your animal companion, because by default you get a typical example of that type of animal outside of the adjustments it gets from being an AC. Otherwise you could stack every compatible template in existence on it.

Also your DM is well within his rights to tell you no if you're just trying to finagle a free power increase.

lylsyly
2016-12-17, 02:19 PM
Thanks Gentlebeings. I guess my Saint Halfling Druid 3/Conjurer 1/MT 4/Arcane Hierophant 10/MT+2 will start with a really good Riding Dog Animal Companion :bigsmile:

Edit: Missed a couple of posts there. Actually, I am building an NPC for later use when I get to DM a bit of the real DMs Campaign world. Thanks for all the replies.

OldTrees1
2016-12-17, 02:20 PM

A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below.
Possibly no.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-17, 02:35 PM
Thanks Gentlebeings. I guess my Saint Halfling Druid 3/Conjurer 1/MT 4/Arcane Hierophant 10/MT+2 will start with a really good Riding Dog Animal Companion :bigsmile:

Edit: Missed a couple of posts there. Actually, I am building an NPC for later use when I get to DM a bit of the real DMs Campaign world. Thanks for all the replies.

Be careful! If you give an NPC special treatment the players could figure it out and suddenly the druid player replaces his animal companion with a magrbred, war beast, companion. I always advise that NPCS should have cool, unique, things, not better or illegal things.

Zanos
2016-12-17, 02:42 PM
Yeah, giving NPCs free no cost power boosts that you wouldn't let your PCs take might not go over super well.

Troacctid
2016-12-17, 05:02 PM
Was there a thing in the magebred template that says you can't have it on your animal companion, or am I confusing it with something else?

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-17, 05:06 PM
Actually you are right, I checked. While specific exceptions apply (Magebred ghost tiger for example) there is a general rule against applying magrbred to animal companions.

Ruethgar
2016-12-18, 04:23 PM
Even though ACs are typical of their kind, there are rules that allow you to find exceptional ones(I.E. rolled stats instead of 10s & 11s) and there are also the savage species rituals/wish which can apply even inherited templates after the fact. If Magebred calls out Animal Companion specifically as not viable, Wild Cohort, and Totem Companions could still work for it for very similar effect.