PDA

View Full Version : Movies Is Jason Bourne Worth Renting?

Palanan
2016-12-17, 12:37 PM
Last week I caught sections of the first two movies, and I'm in the mood for spy-ish action fare, so I'm wondering if the latest Bourne movie is worth the rental.

From the previews it looks like more of a beatdown flick, rather than something with much story or brainwork behind it. Is that more or less accurate, or is there anything here that qualifies as actual espionage?

Legato Endless
2016-12-17, 07:48 PM
If you are looking for something with actual intrigue or cloak and dagger you're not going to find it here. The conspiracy is quite straight forward and mostly this is an action beat-em-up about a man searching for his identity. Bourne gained notoriety from demonstrating how far you could strip a spy thriller down. The extreme simplicity is intended to be a feature.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy this is definitely not. If you have a yen for something mind bending as governments weave their complications across the great game plying inscrutable agents with layers upon layers of goals...you should elsewhere. This is basically fugitive badass sticks it to the man in three breezy installments.

Edit: The most recent Matt Damon film is terrible. Skip this even if you enjoyed the original trilogy.

Lethologica
2016-12-17, 07:52 PM
The first three movies are quite good. The Jeremy Renner one is supposed to be okay. The latest one is pretty tired. None of them are really espionage-related, though.

Palanan
2016-12-17, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Legato Endless
This is basically fugitive badass sticks it to the man in three breezy installments.

Thank you for this. :smallbiggrin:

And thanks for the overview--I was just this minute pondering whether I should take the plunge and rent it. I appreciate the flashing lighthouse warning me off the shoals of simplicity.

So, I'm in the mood for something a little more involved than the latest Bourne, but maybe not too subtle and intricate. Basically something along the lines of the first two Bourne movies, or Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, which was extremely compact and basic but still decent fun. Anything come to mind?

Aedilred
2016-12-21, 09:22 AM
Thank you for this. :smallbiggrin:

And thanks for the overview--I was just this minute pondering whether I should take the plunge and rent it. I appreciate the flashing lighthouse warning me off the shoals of simplicity.

So, I'm in the mood for something a little more involved than the latest Bourne, but maybe not too subtle and intricate. Basically something along the lines of the first two Bourne movies, or Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, which was extremely compact and basic but still decent fun. Anything come to mind?

Skyfall? :smalltongue:

Kyberwulf
2016-12-21, 01:16 PM
I disagree strongly that this is even remotely a spy anything. Its main character is an assassin. That was his sole job. This was a series about a man who literally and figurativey lost his identity. The things that happen in the movies aren't really the plot, they are the vehicle for which the movie is about. Which is a man searching for who he was.

The first three movies are pretty good. They aren't a mystery in the sense of who dun it. More of a mystery of who Jason Bourne was. I mean the cats out of the bag for most of it, since you are going into the movie already knowing some of the answers I am sure.

The Jeremy Reiner one, isn't bad. It's not as good though, because you are left with the sense that it should be a bourne movie, with Matt Damon. I wonder though, if you haven't seen it. You should watch it and then let us know if it was good or bad without the preconceived notion of Matt Damon.

Also, you should watch Jason Bourne and let us know if you liked it or not, because if you do. I would like to know what you think.

That is your mission, should you choose to accept it.