PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spell Choices

Qazweds
2016-12-17, 04:19 PM
I'm playing a solo game with a friend soon. To make things interesting, he gave me various archetypes, but did not tell me what the character would be. I am allowed however, to choose my spells, So I though I'd ask people that were more experienced than me. I want to be a sort of striker/buffer type character. This is at a fairly high level, if the fact I have 9th level spell slots are any indication.

For my Spells, I have the following restrictions:
Levels 1 - 3: Any Abjuration, Divination, Illusion, or Transmutation school spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list or any non-domain specific spells from the cleric list.

Levels 4 - 9: Any spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list OR the bard spell list. If a spell appears on both lists at different levels, I must take the bard version of the spell, or any non-domain specific spells from the cleric list.

Inclusive or.

Spells Known: 8, 7, 5, 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, 5
Spells per Day: 4, 4, 3, 6, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1

I might be able to poke him for more information, but no guarantees. If someone wants more information, I'll do my best.

Sandsarecool
2016-12-17, 04:22 PM
I'm playing a solo game with a friend soon. To make things interesting, he gave me various archetypes, but did not tell me what the character would be. I am allowed however, to choose my spells, So I though I'd ask people that were more experienced than me. I want to be a sort of striker/buffer type character. This is at a fairly high level, if the fact I have 9th level spell slots are any indication.

For my Spells, I have the following restrictions:
Levels 1 - 3: Any Abjuration, Divination, Illusion, or Transmutation school spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list or any non-domain specific spells from the cleric list.

Levels 4 - 9: Any spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list OR the bard spell list. If a spell appears on both lists at different levels, I must take the bard version of the spell, or any non-domain specific spells from the cleric list.

Inclusive or.

Spells Known: 8, 7, 5, 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, 5
Spells per Day: 4, 4, 3, 6, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1

I might be able to poke him for more information, but no guarantees. If someone wants more information, I'll do my best.

Those specific clauses for spells scream Suel Arcanamach and Sublime Chord to me. I'll put money that you've got some form of Bardic Music. Well, apart from the 'access to the Cleric List' part. No idea how you'd be able to fit everything in, assuming your character isn't epic (is he?).

If you asked to play a striker type, I'm also going to go ahead and assume this is also (an attempt, at least at) a Gish, so those spells might work well. Bite of the Were-X et al. There are plenty of gish guides, so go peek at those. I'm not very good at Cleric Spell when I'm AFB, but that's nothing a quick google-fu shouldn't be able to fix for you.

If you HAVE got Bardic Music, You may want (provided you can) to get DFI. Being able to provide your own Inspiration Boost and Creaking Cacophony spells might be nice.

Eldariel
2016-12-17, 07:46 PM
This is a solo campaign so you'll have to cover your bases. Make sure you have all the basic necessities covered:
- Teleportation
- Planar travel
- Invisibility
- Flight
- Shapeshifting

After that it's a matter of figuring out what kinds of helpers you want. You have access to in no particular order: Animate Dead (or Dread Warrior), Planar Binding, Simulacrum (or Ice Assassin), Dominate as the easy options. Since it's a solo campaign, it should go without saying that you should employ other powers as available. Various types of underlings have their own advantages and disadvantages (Undead Bruisers, Simulacrum Spell-likes/Casting, Planar Binding for any high utility types) but there's nothing saying you couldn't pick all of 'em if you so desired.

After that it's just a matter of picking up the defensive and the offensive/utility magic you might desire. Obviously stuff like Disintegrate and Polymorph Any Object is superb for manipulating terrain, solving problems, bypassing dungeons and the like. Things like Contingency, Mind Blank, etc. are integral for your continued survival; and while the level loss sucks, it might be in your interests to at least have a Clone or few prepared at various places. For offensive magic there are as many options as there are spells so I won't go into that in too much detail.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-18, 01:39 AM
Eldariel's post is on-point, so I don't really have much to add. If you're looking for specific Cleric spells, I have a link in my sig that should save you a little book diving.