PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice Help me figure out his puzzle

Jon_Dahl
2016-12-17, 05:02 PM
Tomorrow, I'll meet my girlfriend's friend. This friend happens to be rather notorious due to his incessant habit of blurting out "penis" (giromba). He says this all the time, even during important meetings and at dinner table, family reunions etc. Nothing can stop him.

I think he might have Tourette's syndrome, but my girlfriend told me that he has no spasms at all, so I think you have to have spasms when you have Tourette or any similar neuropsychological disorder.

Help me out, I want to resolve this puzzle. I want to impress my girlfriend and figure out why he says "penis" to everyone all the time. Is it possible to have a severe case of Tourette's without twitching? I don't think so. Any ideas?

Asmodean_
2016-12-18, 04:23 AM
Either he does have Tourette's, or he's just an ***hole who has realised he can get away with it while hiding under the banner of the syndrome. But unless you're a medical doctor who knows it for fact, I wouldn't recommend saying the latter. If they ask you if you think it's Tourette's, say it probably is. If they don't bring it up, don't bring it up yourself.

Knaight
2016-12-18, 07:04 AM
The thing about medical diagnosis is that it's one of those things that takes specialized training, and that it generally takes looking over a fair amount of information*. Minimal secondhand information from someone on some bizarre quest to achieve a diagnosis to impress their girlfriend? That's inadequate in the extreme.

*Granted, if a patient comes up with a case like "I went into a forest in Lyme disease territory, came back with a bunch of tick bites, and am now displaying textbook Lyme disease symptoms", it's probably not going to take that long to make a diagnosis.

Strigon
2016-12-18, 09:57 AM
*Granted, if a patient comes up with a case like "I went into a forest in Lyme disease territory, came back with a bunch of tick bites, and am now displaying textbook Lyme disease symptoms", it's probably not going to take that long to make a diagnosis.

Could be lupus...

lunaticfringe
2016-12-18, 10:07 AM
Don't try and 'fix' someone you don't know. Just accept them homie. Treat him like a person not a problem and your GF will love you for it.

Jon_Dahl
2016-12-18, 10:48 AM
The thing about medical diagnosis is that it's one of those things that takes specialized training, and that it generally takes looking over a fair amount of information*. Minimal secondhand information from someone on some bizarre quest to achieve a diagnosis to impress their girlfriend? That's inadequate in the extreme.

It doesn't hurt to try. Well, not in this case, at least.

Donnadogsoth
2016-12-18, 02:22 PM
It doesn't hurt to try. Well, not in this case, at least.

Has anyone tried

a.asking him why he does this?

b.every time he says "giromba" following with "troll" and see how he fares in a war of nerves?

Donnadogsoth
2016-12-18, 02:25 PM
Don't try and 'fix' someone you don't know. Just accept them homie. Treat him like a person not a problem and your GF will love you for it.

Will he expose himself next?

Jon_Dahl
2016-12-18, 04:55 PM
Has anyone tried

a.asking him why he does this?

b.every time he says "giromba" following with "troll" and see how he fares in a war of nerves?

I think that would be offensive.

Donnadogsoth
2016-12-18, 06:09 PM
I think that would be offensive.

So? He started it.

veti
2016-12-18, 10:58 PM
Tomorrow, I'll meet my girlfriend's friend. This friend happens to be rather notorious due to his incessant habit of blurting out "penis" (giromba). He says this all the time, even during important meetings and at dinner table, family reunions etc. Nothing can stop him.

You... haven't actually met the guy yet. It's possible that the reports are greatly exaggerated. And if they aren't, you'd still need to know: does he just randomly blurt out the word for no apparent reason, does he construct sentences that contain it, or does he actually work to bring the topic of conversation around to it? These are three very different behaviours. It would be silly to even think about diagnosing before you've seen it at first hand.

Could be lupus...

It's never lupus. Never.