PDA

View Full Version : Merged Equipment

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-17, 05:38 PM
When a Druid uses Wild Shape, their equipment can merge into their new form:

"You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or
is w orn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new
form to wear a piece o f equipment, based on the creature’s shape and size. Your equipment doesn’t change
size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can’t wear must either fall to the
ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

(Emphasis mine.)

Note how it says that the equipment has no effect, but not that it can't be affected.

So, here's my question: can merged equipment take damage? And, in fact, might it be damage if/when the corresponding part of the animal take's damage?

e.g. let's say a druid is wearing a cloak and uses Wild Shape to turn into a bear. He chooses to merge the cloak into his back. Now, if the druid is stabbed in the back, would the cloak have a hole in it when he turns back?

Llama513
2016-12-17, 05:44 PM
Merged equipment can not be damaged, the point being that it is absorbed into the flesh of your new form, and can't be reached with weapons, it is magically protected

Talamare
2016-12-17, 05:53 PM
Feel free to rule it however you want, the game isn't exactly explicit and basically explains it away with "magic"

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-17, 05:56 PM
Merged equipment can not be damaged . . . it is magically protected

Citation needed.

the point being that it is absorbed into the flesh of your new form

Yeah, that's my whole point. If it is absorbed into flesh, and that flesh is subsequently damage, wouldn't the equipment also be damaged as a result?

Daehron
2016-12-17, 06:06 PM
Citation needed.
Yeah, that's my whole point. If it is absorbed into flesh, and that flesh is subsequently damage, wouldn't the equipment also be damaged as a result?

1) Where's the rules for equipment being damaged at all? To my knowledge, equipment damage rules are for the most part non-existent, with the exception of certain monster attacks, and specific item descriptions. Why introduce this level of complication?

2) Considering that damage to the animal form 'disappears' when the Druid reverts to human form, no reason that any damage to the equipment wouldn't 'disappear' as well.

The idea smacks of needless complication, likely caused by a DM feeling the Druid wild shape ability is OP.

Llama513
2016-12-17, 06:07 PM
My thought being that since you don't get the benefits of the items when merged you are not able to interact with them, which means other people can't interact with it, but it is going to rely on how your DM rules it

Talamare
2016-12-17, 06:09 PM
likely caused by a DM feeling the Druid wild shape ability is OP.

That was unnecessary

but overall you're right in that there aren't many equipment damage rules as it is. So, unless you're house brewing it in, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-17, 06:11 PM
The idea smacks of needless complication, likely caused by a DM feeling the Druid wild shape ability is OP.

Sigh.

Yes, because any attempt at logic or interesting rules can only be due to a desire to nerf something OP.

Have you considered asking a druid to remove that stick from your arse?

JackPhoenix
2016-12-17, 10:17 PM
Sigh.

Yes, because any attempt at logic or interesting rules can only be due to a desire to nerf something OP.

I don't see druid's equipment being damaged any more logical than the druid being able to turn into tiny mouse one moment and into huge tyrannosaurus just a moment later. And not suffering any consequences (besides tiny bit of damage, if even that, stomp, AKA unarmed attack is normally on 1+Str mod damage) if the mouse gets stomped on in the meantime.

If equipment isn't damaged while normally worn (note how pretty much any AoE spell mentions it only afffects unattended objects), why should druid's stuff in shapechanged form be any different? Not even bringing in the fact that the combat is abstraction and not every "hit" actually connects, much less cause holes in someone or something.

And for most players, the word you're looking for is "annoying", not "interesting"

rbstr
2016-12-18, 10:39 AM
I don't see druid's equipment being damaged any more logical than the druid being able to turn into tiny mouse one moment and into huge tyrannosaurus just a moment later. And not suffering any consequences (besides tiny bit of damage, if even that, stomp, AKA unarmed attack is normally on 1+Str mod damage) if the mouse gets stomped on in the meantime.

If equipment isn't damaged while normally worn (note how pretty much any AoE spell mentions it only afffects unattended objects), why should druid's stuff in shapechanged form be any different? Not even bringing in the fact that the combat is abstraction and not every "hit" actually connects, much less cause holes in someone or something.

And for most players, the word you're looking for is "annoying", not "interesting"

I totally agree. Player equipment in 5e doesn't really get damaged by design. So, unless you've homebrewed in that all player equipment is subject to damage in a roughly similar way, the druid's equipment should be just as safe.

IMO Breaking/damaging equipment is a pain the the ass to players unless there's a framework for how/why. If you plan on doing that it should be clear to the players they will need spares.

RickAllison
2016-12-18, 01:45 PM
I totally agree. Player equipment in 5e doesn't really get damaged by design. So, unless you've homebrewed in that all player equipment is subject to damage in a roughly similar way, the druid's equipment should be just as safe.

IMO Breaking/damaging equipment is a pain the the ass to players unless there's a framework for how/why. If you plan on doing that it should be clear to the players they will need spares.

Agreed. If one does want to make breaking or damaging equipment a thing, I recommend making either dedicated actions/attack variations for it (Sunder maybe?) or tying it to potential critical failures or success.

Actually, I kind of like that idea. I might just take a look at my Edge of the Empire books and compile this from that...

DracoKnight
2016-12-18, 02:05 PM

The druid now has access to the cantrip sh!t-stained shillelagh. It's like shillelagh, except that enemies also need to make a Constitution save or have disadvantage on Attack rolls against you for a round.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-12-18, 02:43 PM
Doesn't magic armor change size for the wearer? So if you come across +2 Studded Leather, doesn't that change size to fit a halfling or a goliath? And if that's the case, couldn't your magical armor change size when your druid turns into a bear?

dejarnjc
2016-12-18, 02:58 PM
Doesn't magic armor change size for the wearer? So if you come across +2 Studded Leather, doesn't that change size to fit a halfling or a goliath? And if that's the case, couldn't your magical armor change size when your druid turns into a bear?

"In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn
can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many
magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or the:
magically adjust themselves to the wearer.
Rare exceptions exist. If the story suggests a good
reason for an item to fit only creatures of a certain
size or shape, you can rule that it doesn't adjust. For
example, armor made by the drow might fit elves only."

DMG pg 140

"When a nonhumanoid tries to wear an item, use your
discretion as to whether the item functions as intended.
A ring placed on a tentacle might work, but a yuan-ti
with a snakelike tail instead of legs can't wear boots."

Page. 141 of the DMG.

I think most DMs would rule that that magic armor does not change shape sufficiently to accommodate a bear form. But if some DMs want to let it happen, more power to em.

RickAllison
2016-12-18, 07:26 PM
"In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn
can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many
magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or the:
magically adjust themselves to the wearer.
Rare exceptions exist. If the story suggests a good
reason for an item to fit only creatures of a certain
size or shape, you can rule that it doesn't adjust. For
example, armor made by the drow might fit elves only."

DMG pg 140

"When a nonhumanoid tries to wear an item, use your
discretion as to whether the item functions as intended.
A ring placed on a tentacle might work, but a yuan-ti
with a snakelike tail instead of legs can't wear boots."

Page. 141 of the DMG.

I think most DMs would rule that that magic armor does not change shape sufficiently to accommodate a bear form. But if some DMs want to let it happen, more power to em.

I, for example, run it as being very dependent on the purpose of the magic item. "Helm of the Divine Dragon", a helmet designed to be worn by the chosen of Bahamut? It might shift size to fit any dragon from wyrmling (Medium) to ancient (Gargantuan), and can even fit other draconic forms like a dragonborn or kobold. But the halfling isn't really going to be wearing it without the direct intervention of Bahamut. The "Mithral Armor of Lady Lenora"? It was a piece custom-forged by the dwarves for this particularly small human lady. A tall halfling can wear it while looking a bit ridiculous, but it was made to be that size and the 6'7" human, despite being the same race, simply won't fit in it. The "Ring of the Raven Queen", a full-finger ring that ends in a talon? It will fit on tentacles, fingers, tails, and there may even be strange tales of her chosen who were bereft of normal appropriate appendages fitting it to tongues and exposed bones. The Raven Queen's gift cares not for the exact method as her champions may take all forms and sizes. It will fit anything from the ancient dragon's tail to the snout of an awakened sea horse. So the main categories for me are:
General items: Things like a wand that could be used by anyone because they are not reliant on anatomy. Shifts with size and shape.
Type-fitted: Fitted for a body type. It may be very specific (armor built to work with the wings of a brass dragon) or much more general (humanoid armor). These shift with size, but the shape is rather restricted.
Size-fitted: These are usually more mundane "magic" items that will only work for a certain size because they are manually adjusted through leather or similar straps. These don't shift with size, but do change shape. Depending on the particular item, it may be able to switch for use of different forms. A cape of this type could, for example, be worn by a human or by a wyrmling, but not an ogre.
Hybrid-fitted: Something that restricts both size and shape, but not totally. The most common expression of this would be only changing one size category either way.
Form-fitted: Specifically made for someone so it will not adjust at all.