PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Theif [PRC]

ChomZ
2007-07-16, 07:46 PM
Tiny Thief

Often Halflings make the most able thieves. Their dexterous fingers and small stature mean they are able to reach even the most well protected places. Because they are so small, the Halflings like to stay out of direct combat, preferring to use the shadows, and throwing daggers to their advantage.
The tiny thief is a skilled lock pick, as well as a knife dancer.

Requirements
Race: Halfling
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Hide 6 ranks, Move Silently 6 ranks, Slight of hand 8 ranks, escape artist 3 ranks, Open Lock 6 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (dagger), weapon finesse
Special: Sneak Attack +1d6
Special: must own a set of masterwork thieves tools

Tiny Theif/b]
{table=head][b]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Uncanny Dogde, Two Weapon Fighting

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Sneak Attack +1d6

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Distant Throw, Planned Lie

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Achilles Strike

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Sneak Attack +1d6

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Catch

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Hide in Plane Sight

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Sneak Attack +1d6, Deft Strike

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Ranged Flank

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Superior Catch[/table]

Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Disable Device, Disguise Self, Escape artist, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Slight of Hand, Spot, Use Rope. (Skills per level: 6+int mod.) HD: 1d6

Class Features:
Weapon and Armour
None
Two Weapon Fighting
Because the tiny thief uses primarily knives in combat, she has mastered the ability to use one in each hand. She gains the two weapon fighting feat even if prerequisites are not met.
Uncanny Dodge
Usual rules.. see rogue in PHB
Sneak Attack
You know the drill.. Lv 2 and every 3 Lvs after adds another 1d6
Distant Throw
Her practice with throwing daggers has given the tiny thief a longer range increment for throwing a dagger. The range increment becomes 30 ft instead of 10.
Planned Lie
A practiced tiny thief always has a plan for when she gets caught, but it takes time to formulate an adequate story. If the tiny thief is discovered ‘furthering her career’ she can receive a +10 circumstance bonus to bluff checks once a week or a +1 circumstance bonus if it has bee less than a week.
Achilles’ Strike
Any time a tiny thief is able to sneak attack a creature of medium size or larger, she may trade 2d6 of damage to attempt an Achilles’ Strike. On a successful hit the victim must make a fort save (DC 10 + class level (in classes giving sneak attack) + Dex modifier). If the creature fails the check their speed is cut in half until half the points of damage inflicted by the attack are healed, and they must make a reflex save (DC 15) or fall prone.
Improved Catch
A tiny thief can take better advantage from a dagger’s returning capabilities. When she throw’s a returning dagger, a tiny thief may move and the dagger will still return to her as long a line of sight is constant.
Hide in Plain Sight
You know…… (see DMG shadow dancer ability for details)
Deft Strike
If a tiny thief is able to study a victim for 2 full rounds before a successful sneak attack, she gains increased accuracy do to better knowledge of her victim’s armour. When stuck with a deft strike, a tiny thieves victim loses all AC from visible armour, (a force shield retains its effectiveness as the tiny thief cannot study it to find a weak point. The Crit range on the tiny thief’s weapon is double when she uses deft strike.
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Blah blah blah blah blah blah… etc. (rouge in PHB for details)
Ranged Flank
A tiny thief has had so much practice avoiding direct melee fighting that she is eventually able to distract her opponents with her thrown weapons. A Tiny Thief is treated as if standing in the nearest square adjacent to the opponent(s) she is attacking for purposes of flanking.
Superior Catch
The ability to catch a returning weapon increases. A tiny thief can now throw two returning weapons for two attacks each round. Or one returning weapon 3 times in one round as long as it is within one range increment.

I'd apreciate some feedback :P

Joltz
2007-07-16, 08:28 PM
It looks reasonably powerful not really underpowered, not over either. There are a few things that stick out about it though.

Only one of the class abilities has to do with thievery (Planned lie). Everything else is combat. Maybe a different name (or different abilities) would be better? I'm not good with names though so I'm not sure what I'd call it

Distant Throw gives daggers incredible range; 150 feet with no further enhancements? Add far shot and a distance enhancement and it gets really crazy.

1d4 HD. That's a caster's HD, it bugs me to see rogue-type classes reduced to such a "blech" HD, especially when many of their class feature are combat related.

Planned lie gives an untyped bonus. It's usually good to give a bonus type. I think an insight or competence bonus would be appropriate.

The Achilles Strike DC is based on your level in all classes that give sneak attack (not 1/2)? That's a really high DC. If it's based on a class level it's usually just the PrC that gives the ability. Other than that it's normally 1/2 level.

Hide in Plain Sight is the ranger version? I wouldn't expect the average thief to be best at hiding in natural terrain. Hiding in shadows (like shadowdancer and assassin) fits much better imo.

Ranged Flank is a little vague. Does this mean that two tiny thieves in an open field 200' apart with a target between them count as flanking the target? That's a really nonsensical mental image. I'll try wording it how I think it's supposed to work.

Ranged Flank: When attacking with thrown weapons a Tiny Thief may treat the target as flanked if he would be flanking the target if he was in the closest space to the target.

ChomZ
2007-07-16, 08:49 PM
thanks for the feedback,

I'm also horrid with names.. I'll leave it as is untill someone else comes up with something :smalltongue:

think there's some way to make it so 30 ft is the first range increment, then after that the max possible range is like.. 70 (random number there)?

HD was a typo.. I was thinking 1d6.. sound good?
*will fix*

as for bonus type.. I ALWAYS forget that
*will fix*

how about the DC is (10+ # of d6s rolled on a normal sneak attack + Dex mod)?? if that seems too weak then 10+class level+dex mod sounds good
*will leave for now*

I actually just assumed that the ranger class ability was the same.. didn't ever really read it :smalltongue: *will change*

I like that rework, but I also want a Tiny Theif's allies to benifit from the ranged flankage..... see the edited first post and see what you think....

thanks again for the feedback, and any more thats on its way

ringsnake
2007-07-16, 09:13 PM
Small Assassin seems a better title, but Ray Bradbury beat you to it (http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/rbt/12assassin/assassin.htm).

Instead I'd just go with a gameworld specific title to add flavor, and slap some text on to the top to explain how it fits in your world.

Some points, you don't need quite so many prereqs, and I never did like prereqs that were a very specific class feature like Sneak Attack (rogue only). I'd suggest something like this:

Skills: Hide:8, Move Silently:8, Escape Artist:4, Climb:4, Open Lock:4
Special: Must be a small creature

For the most part that would limit it to halfling rogues. I agree with the others about the theme. You've got all these roguish themes for title and entry requriements, but then the class itself is a Belkarish combat monster.

I'd suggest instead powers along the lines of "dodgy", "slip into small spaces", "overlooked", and boosts to climb and jump skills; a weak point for halfling rogues. There's already two or three "dagger warrior" archetypes in just WotC published material IIRC.