PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help with Characters for a COTCT Pathfinder Game

Ithinkibrokeit
2016-12-17, 08:06 PM
I am looking for some help with some characters for a Curse of The Crimson Throne Pathfinder campaign. The game is played with friends and I would say its a low to moderately optimized game. We are currently on the second adventure "Seven Days to the Grave" and everybody is Level 5. The party is a Daring Champion Cavalier, a Vivisectionist Alchemist, an Inquisitor and a Sorcerer. I am playing the Daring Champion and I am helping the person playing the alchemist with their build (they tell me what they want their character to be like and I try to make it happen). The DM has told us that the AP runs to level 15-16.

I have a good amount of experience with pathfinder, and for d20 rpgs in general I have typically found it important to have a pretty firm idea of the long term plan for each character/build if you don't wnat your character to end up being ineffective.

The Alchemist player selected the vivisectionist because they were not a big fan of bombs. They like rogue types (has played a rogue, bard, and now the alchemist). They were not interested in the beastmorph/natural attack version of the vivisectionist at all. They wanted the extracts, sneak attack and to dual wield daggers. The build below is what I have thus far.

Alchemist

Ability Scores (20 point point buy)
S (10) D (16) C(10) I (16) W(10) Ch (10)

Race: Human (+2 Int)

Skill Points / Level: 10 [class (4), Int (4), Race (1), Favored Class (1)

Skills (max each): Craft Alchemy, Acrobatics, Bluff, Disable Device, Knowledge Arcana, Knowledge Nature, Perception, Spellcraft, Stealth, Use Magic Device

Traits: Family Honor, Slippery, River Rat, Reactionary [Note: DM allows selection of 2 Traits, 1 from the campaign players guide, 1 of players choice. I have also taken the "extra traits" feat see below)

Feats (level): Weapon Finesse (Human) Extra Traits [River Rat/Reactionary] (1), Two weapon fighting (3), Weapon Focus [dagger] (5), Flensing Strike (7), Improved Two Weapon Fighting (9), Extra Discovery [Promethean Disciple] (11), Improved Initiative (13), Greater Two Weapon Fighting (15).

Discoveries: Spontaneous Healing (2nd), Bleeding Attack (4th), Infusion (6th), Enhance Potion (8th), Crippling Strike (10th), Greater Mutagen (12th), Spell Knowledge (14th)

Ability Score Increases: 4th (Dex), 8th (Dex), 12th (Dex)

Most commonly memorized Extracts:
1st: Adhesive Spittle, Heightened Awareness, Shield
2nd: Barkskin, Cat's Grace, Invisibility
3rd: Channel Vigor, Heroism, Fly
4th: Stoneskin, Dragon's Breath, Freedom of Movement
5th: Elemental Body II, Grand Destiny, Spell Resistance

This build is planned through level 15. As I said, the player was not interested in the Feral Mutagen/Beastmorph options. The player also really likes undead and wants to build a flesh golem/Frankenstein's Monster which is why I selected Promethean Disciple. I think the feat selections are pretty strong, however I could not find anything that really supported the build very well for level 13. Improved Initiative is a go to for sneak attackers like this build but level 13 seems rather late for that feat. I was thinking that by that level it would be pretty for sure that we could get this alchemist two daggers with the agile property and then take "double slice" instead.

Similarly without bombs there is a real lack discoveries to take. Bleeding attack isn't great but its something. For the last discovery I took Spell Knowledge but I am not even sure what spells would be good additions. I am also worried that "Enhance Potion" won't get a lot of use just because of the players level of experience. That's also why I am not focusing on extracts like Alchemical Allocation and Amplify Elixir.

Any advise, comments, help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ithinkibrokeit
2016-12-17, 08:39 PM
I actually have two characters I was hoping for comment on. I also wanted to seek advise on the daring champion build I am running.

I am looking for some help with some characters for a Curse of The Crimson Throne Pathfinder campaign. The game is played with friends and I would say its a low to moderately optimized game. We are currently on the second adventure "Seven Days to the Grave" and everybody is Level 5. The party is a Daring Champion Cavalier, a Vivisectionist Alchemist, an Inquisitor and a Sorcerer. I am playing the Daring Champion and I am helping the person playing the alchemist with their build (they tell me what they want their character to be like and I try to make it happen). The DM has told us that the AP runs to level 15-16.

I have a good amount of experience with pathfinder, and for d20 rpgs in general I have typically found it important to have a pretty firm idea of the long term plan for each character/build if you don't wnat your character to end up being ineffective.

The Alchemist player selected the vivisectionist because they were not a big fan of bombs. They like rogue types (has played a rogue, bard, and now the alchemist). They were not interested in the beastmorph/natural attack version of the vivisectionist at all. They wanted the extracts, sneak attack and to dual wield daggers. The build below is what I have thus far.

Cavalier (Order of the Lion)

Ability Scores (20 point point buy)
S (10) D (16) C(14) I (8) W(10) Ch (15)

Race: Human (+2 Dex)

Skill Points / Level: 5 [class (4), Int (-1), Race (1), Favored Class (1)]

Skills (max each): Perception, Intimidate, Performance Combat, Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility)

Traits: Missing Daughter, Threatening Defender

Feats (level): Weapon Focus [Rapier] (Human) Fencing Grace (1), Combat Expertise (3rd), Combat Reflexes (5th), Weapon Trick [One Handed] (6th level bonus feat), Extra Pinache (7th), Dazzling Display (9th), Hero's Display (11th), Performing Combatant (12th level bonus feat), Disheartening Display (13th), Extra Pinache (15th)

Tactician Feats: Precise Strike (1st), Broken Wing Gambit (9th)

Ability Score Increases: 4th (Char), 8th (Dex), 12th (Dex)

Obviously, as this character is not a spell caster he is a lot less complicated than the alchemist above. However, I think they pair together pretty nicely. This cavalier can push his damage with his pinache abilities and challenges while at the same time he can achieve a very high armor class and take a pounding with his high hitpoints. He pins baddies in place and alchemist can then flank and sneak attack.

I choose order of the lion because it adds some good defensive capability to the challenge mechanic while also providing this build with a pair of descent party buffs it can use. Precise strike is basically the mandatory 1st level cavalier teamwork feat. Broken wing gambit will pair well with the high armor class this build will have from stacked dodge bonuses. I use the rapier because it allows you to recharge your panache a lot faster than using the long sword would. Obviously this build wants a rapier with the "keen" property. Since Daring Champion Cavaliers don't get "opportune parry and riposte" I took weapon trick for the "stylish riposte" ability. That actually pairs better with the other things this build does anyway (although its limited to once a day per target).

What I am wondering about with this build is basically what to do after about level 10. As set up, I went down the performance combat tree. I have long really liked the concept of that tree but have never really had a build that had feats enough to do anything with it. Even in this build, I am worried because you start taking feats for it at level 9, but it takes until level 12 to get it to where you can use it every combat as a swift action. Until the demoralize is a swift action it just seems like a waste of an action. Even as a swift action, this build is pushing the action economy. Challenge, Precise Strike, and the "For the King" ability of the order of the lion are all swift actions. Meanwhile, tactician, Lions Call (Battle Cry), and actually fighting use up standard actions.

Would this build be better off going for improved critical and then something off the improved critical tree? Maybe pick up dueling cape deed?

As with the alchemist above any help is greatly appreciated.