PDA

View Full Version : TV Powerless

BiblioRook
2016-12-18, 02:51 AM
So DC, a company with quite a reputation of making adaptions that are way to serious and devoid of humor, apparently is making a new TV show set in the DC world that is purely comical (https://www.inverse.com/article/24994-nbc-powerless-dc-universe-comedy?utm_content=inf_10_3448_2&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=jabra&utm_campaign=influencer&tse_id=INF_258df4f0c30211e686924f044efee13a). Huh.

Whether they can manage this one way or another I do have to admit that on the surface it looks enjoyable (normal people dealing with living in a world full of superheros) and it actually has what looks like a pretty noteworthy cast (like Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyk!) but comeon, it's DC doing comedy, it's hard not to be a bit skeptical...

Probably one of the main things that has me curious is how they will deal with the actual superheros and supervillians. Will the big name characters actually make appearances (apparently the main character even works for Wayne Enterprises) or will this be one of those things where they are always being referred to but never actually seen on screen?

random11
2016-12-18, 02:56 AM
From the description in IMDB:
"Shows how an insurance company deals with destruction left by DC Superheros."

My thoughts:
Can we have a show that deals with the destruction of the Superheros by CW?

BiblioRook
2016-12-18, 03:08 AM
Probably one of the main things that has me curious is how they will deal with the actual superheros and supervillians. Will the big name characters actually make appearances (apparently the main character even works for Wayne Enterprises) or will this be one of those things where they are always being referred to but never actually seen on screen?

So looking up a trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpgEie2UJc) it seems very much the latter. Absolutely full of name dropping people like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern but the only hero actually shown is someone called Crimson Fox. Now quickly Googling revealed that there is a DC character by this name but from what I can see she looks like she has absolutely nothing with the show's counterpart so I really can't say if this is just an obscure name they pulled out to be recycled for the show or if it's actually supposed to be based on that person...

Just based on my my impression from the trailer though I really felt this show could have been better off set in a non-DC superhero world. I don't know, just seems like a show where the major characters of the setting are constantly being talked about but never seen on-screen is going to end up awkward at best really fast. That and I just can't really see DC being willing to make fun of themselves.

Dragonexx
2016-12-18, 03:46 AM
If it were set in the DCCU it might work. Insurance companies are probably having a field day after the events of the films.

random11
2016-12-18, 04:17 AM
Just based on my my impression from the trailer though I really felt this show could have been better off set in a non-DC superhero world. I don't know, just seems like a show where the major characters of the setting are constantly being talked about but never seen on-screen is going to end up awkward at best really fast. That and I just can't really see DC being willing to make fun of themselves.

I think the advantage is that you don't need to waste time and explain things to the audience.
Everybody knows who Superman is and what he is capable of, so you can just talk about him as if he always existed.

BeerMug Paladin
2016-12-18, 04:46 AM
Will the big name characters actually make appearances (apparently the main character even works for Wayne Enterprises) or will this be one of those things where they are always being referred to but never actually seen on screen?

I'm thinking that's part of the joke. Superman saves the day, but the janitors never get to see him.

Lord Raziere
2016-12-18, 06:00 AM
All I can think in response to this is:
"And if you look at this exhibit here, you can see a classic example of responding to criticism by going too far in the other direction pulled by DC! Moving along..."

Snarky, but I think it sums up my opinion on this quite nicely. Its an attempt, but I don't think it'll be good enough and will soon be forgotten for lacking the actual blend of humor and superhero that would make it work. Its kind of an experiment that if not really inspired and put effort into, won't really work out.

Hopeless
2016-12-18, 08:20 AM
The original trailer might have worked but the latest information on this series suggests they've discarded the much better original idea for something nowhere near as good.

HandofShadows
2016-12-18, 08:39 AM
Sounds like DC is copying Marvel comic's "Damage Control". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)

Palanan
2016-12-18, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Dragonexx
If it were set in the DCCU it might work. Insurance companies are probably having a field day after the events of the films.

There was an issue of X-Men in which Colossus and Juggernaut tear a bar to pieces, and in between screaming and running the other customers mentioned this issue:

"I sure hope your insurance covers superhero fights!"

"Hey, these days inna Big Apple you can't live without it!"

BiblioRook
2016-12-18, 11:50 AM
I'm thinking that's part of the joke. Superman saves the day, but the janitors never get to see him.

My thought was if it were set in a non-DC world you would not only be able to 'show' people like Superman on screen easier, but more then that you could then even, dare I say it, parody them. Like I said, I just can't see DC being willing to make fun of people like Superman or Batman, or not in a way that will actually be funny.

I think the advantage is that you don't need to waste time and explain things to the audience.
Everybody knows who Superman is and what he is capable of, so you can just talk about him as if he always existed.

That's the thing. Everyone already knows Superman so when you have a really obvious parody of him you don't have to explain yourself because the audience can quickly fill in the gaps, meanwhile you could get away with doing things that you wouldn't be able or willing to do with the actual Superman (like making him look like a jerk or incompetent for the sake of a joke).

The original trailer might have worked but the latest information on this series suggests they've discarded the much better original idea for something nowhere near as good.

Oh? What's different?

Lord Raziere
2016-12-18, 02:13 PM
That's the thing. Everyone already knows Superman so when you have a really obvious parody of him you don't have to explain yourself because the audience can quickly fill in the gaps, meanwhile you could get away with doing things that you wouldn't be able or willing to do with the actual Superman (like making him look like a jerk or incompetent for the sake of a joke).

Yeah, thats the other way I don't see this working, the characters themselves have too much dignity surrounding them to work in a purely comedic fashion.

like if it was Ultraguy the Superman parody accidentally punching down a building and going "Eh, I never liked lawyers anyways. Who does?" or something like that, thats fine and funny but Superman himself....nah. Never happening.

Hopeless
2016-12-18, 03:16 PM
Have a look at this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ANFNzLAHw) and let me know if this matches up with what's been released about this series?

Lord Raziere
2016-12-18, 03:50 PM
Whelp, Hijacked by Batman.

That didn't last long. At this rate DC Comics will change their name to Batman Comics. Put the DC Universe down as a side thing they do once in a while.

and lets be honest: Maybe Batman and Gotham should be its own universe thing that has nothing to do with the rest of the DC Universe. Because every time they crossover its weird and Batman eats up the spotlight like freaking Wolverine. Yup: Batman is DC's Wolverine. and really a DC Universe without Batman would be interesting to explore I think.

BiblioRook
2016-12-18, 07:43 PM
Have a look at this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ANFNzLAHw) and let me know if this matches up with what's been released about this series?

Huh. Well that just seems to undermine the whole idea behind doing a show like this in the first place. So instead of normal people trying to deal with living in a world with superheros they are the people that make and design the gadgets for Batman? Where the sitcomy office comedy actually sounded kind of interesting (if unlikely to be done well) this new R&D version sounds... less so. I'm kind of seeing a Better Off Ted vibe from it now, only a less funny version where they take themselves seriously.

BiblioRook
2017-01-25, 01:23 AM

Sooo I kinda have to confess that part of me was still kind of hanging on this being false, maybe optimism on my part and after all that old trailer did look pretty complete. But yeah, sure enough lately I've been seeing a whole lot of the new trailer and no way around it it's exactly as the guy above points out. I guess I'm still finding it hard to wrap my head around just what must have happened between the old trailers and these new ones. I mean the old trailer suggested story and characters, you know, things you can base a solid TV show around (even what was there still didn't seem very good). The new ones? Barely anything is even in them beyond "Look at this cartoonish looking gadget, it doesn't even work properly! Here is another gadget and opps, it also doesn't work properly. Oh those wacky guys in R&D". I really don't now how much of a show can rest on something like that.

Armok
2017-01-25, 03:29 AM
Whelp, Hijacked by Batman.

That didn't last long. At this rate DC Comics will change their name to Batman Comics. Put the DC Universe down as a side thing they do once in a while.

and lets be honest: Maybe Batman and Gotham should be its own universe thing that has nothing to do with the rest of the DC Universe. Because every time they crossover its weird and Batman eats up the spotlight like freaking Wolverine. Yup: Batman is DC's Wolverine. and really a DC Universe without Batman would be interesting to explore I think.

The real issue here is how long it will take for a Batman vs. Wolverine crossover event to happen, because let's face it, that sounds like the raddest thing ever. If there was ever a more profitable what if scenario, then I'm secretly a Skrull!

Leewei
2017-01-25, 10:30 AM
At this rate DC Comics will change their name to Batman Comics.

DC is Detective Comics. Batman is the "World's Greatest Detective". In a sense, DC has been this for the better part of a century.

As an aside, I find the "Bruce Wayne's barely-acknowledged cousin" as the boss idea to be very funny. Also, the wisecrack "She can't tell the difference between a bird and a plane?!" The series has some very good material from what I've seen so far.

Palanan
2017-02-02, 09:20 PM
So, first episode tonight. Overwhelmingly silly, but still good fun.

“Flyover state” was probably the best line, and they led with that, so the humor quotient flagged a bit afterward. Emily’s determined optimism also got old after the first few minutes.

But it’s always fun to see Alan Tudyk, and the commercial for the anti-Joker pen was hilarious. Also the fact that Bruce Wayne apparently feels that using new products in the field counts as beta testing.

Not sure how long this will last, though. People usually watch superhero shows for the superheroes, and the theme of ordinary people dodging supers might stretch thin pretty fast.

There’s also the fact, as BiblioRook pointed out, that a successful show needs engaging characters, but Emily and the slacker techies were fairly one-dimensional tonight. They’re also limited by the half-hour format, which (as I discovered) had at least three commercial breaks. We’ll see.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-02-02, 10:48 PM
Underwhelming to say the least. Aren't comedies supposed to be funny? I didn't laugh once, and the flyover state line got a pallid snicker from my girlfriend and that was it. And I wanted to punch Ms Perky in her stupid smirky grin before the intro credits rolled.

I doubt I'll miss anything by bailing now.

Mystic Muse
2017-02-03, 01:57 AM
The real issue here is how long it will take for a Batman vs. Wolverine crossover event to happen, because let's face it, that sounds like the raddest thing ever. If there was ever a more profitable what if scenario, then I'm secretly a Skrull!

Technically, this already happened in the Amalgam comics line. Batman got fused with Wolverine. No idea how popular it actually was.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-02-03, 10:52 AM
It was a one off Marvel/DC crossover. Popularity wasn't even considered.

Which is too bad, as it was one of the first attempts I remember dealing with archetypes as something other than textbook material.

Tvtyrant
2017-02-03, 11:11 AM
DC is Detective Comics. Batman is the "World's Greatest Detective". In a sense, DC has been this for the better part of a century.

As an aside, I find the "Bruce Wayne's barely-acknowledged cousin" as the boss idea to be very funny. Also, the wisecrack "She can't tell the difference between a bird and a plane?!" The series has some very good material from what I've seen so far.

Considering that he is the actual detective in detective comics... it is a little like asking wizards of the coast to stop making products revolving around wizards.

Leewei
2017-02-03, 12:28 PM
The real issue here is how long it will take for a Batman vs. Wolverine crossover event to happen, because let's face it, that sounds like the raddest thing ever.

Alfred could work for Wolverine instead, and Batman could make a deal with the Goblin King, through his intermediary, Smeagul. They could fight for the hand of Black Widow!

(Ahem. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/))

Benthesquid
2017-02-03, 09:38 PM

Face front, True Believer! Wolverine and Batman may never have charged into battle, head-to-head, or side to side, but I can do you one better! Who could forget the sensational Amalgam Comics' Dark Claw (http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Claw), an awesome amalgamation of those two colossi of comics!

Excelsior!

Traab
2017-02-04, 07:16 PM
I havent watched anything but the trailers yet, but I had to say, it felt very one joke to me. Like it would quickly be run into the ground that "Oh they have whacky ideas for ways to not die horribly! Isnt this funny?!" I dont see it lasting very long too be honest. Its an interesting idea, being a norm in a world of supers, but I feel like they didnt create a broad enough premise to keep audience attention very long.

BiblioRook
2017-02-04, 11:17 PM
Its an interesting idea, being a norm in a world of supers, but I feel like they didnt create a broad enough premise to keep audience attention very long.

I see it bringing in the views just based on star power alone for a while. I mean I know people that are still out-of-their-minds obsessed with Community and the fact that Danny Pudi is involved basically doing his Abed thing on it's own will at least get people to tune in I imagine. And do I really need to talk about Alan Tudyk? His involvement certainly is the main reason *I* gave it a second glance despite how much of a trainwreck it looks. For some reason the name Vanessa Hudgens also stands out to me but for the life of me I can't actually think of anything else she might have been part of that I would know her from and looking at her IMDB page hasn't helped my recollection any.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-02-04, 11:21 PM
Apparently the premiere pulled a 3.08 share. It was outclassed by reruns. The only thing it did better than the whole night was a cooking show on Fox.

More to the point, anything sub-4 is primed for cancellation.

Kitten Champion
2017-02-05, 04:21 AM
Apparently the premiere pulled a 3.08 share. It was outclassed by reruns. The only thing it did better than the whole night was a cooking show on Fox.

More to the point, anything sub-4 is primed for cancellation.

That doesn't surprise me. I only remembered it existed because of this thread. Whatever its quality is as a show, NBC did not market it very well.

The TV promo - while it blazes DC in front of it - doesn't really convey there's anything DC about it, and isn't particularly good besides.

lt_murgen
2017-02-06, 10:36 AM
That doesn't surprise me. I only remembered it existed because of this thread. Whatever its quality is as a show, NBC did not market it very well.

The TV promo - while it blazes DC in front of it - doesn't really convey there's anything DC about it, and isn't particularly good besides.

I watched it, and sadly it was only OK. Not many huge laughs. I just don't see the premise getting beyond a few episodes, though.

Starbuck_II
2017-02-06, 01:49 PM
I watched it, and sadly it was only OK. Not many huge laughs. I just don't see the premise getting beyond a few episodes, though.

Eventually, they will do something involving that one super hero Crimson Fox, like meet her or help with a gadget directly, I bet. But so far I like it.

Nice seeing Vanessa doing something.

BiblioRook
2017-02-06, 02:43 PM
I could see Crimson Fox's involvement in the show much clearer when the show was about an insurance agency and she was this reckless hero that didn't concern herself to much with collateral damage, but I'm not sure where she fits in with a show that's about a gadget factory for civilians. I guess they will field test their equipment off her? I can see that working like maybe once or twice at best but beyond that considering that it's a show involving superheroes from one of the biggest publishers of superhero stuff I can see it rather pissing off what few fans the show might have if all they show is a D-Lister like Crimson Fox, it would be to the point that actually having no on-screen superheros would probably actually work more in their favor.

Starbuck_II
2017-02-06, 05:16 PM
I could see Crimson Fox's involvement in the show much clearer when the show was about an insurance agency and she was this reckless hero that didn't concern herself to much with collateral damage, but I'm not sure where she fits in with a show that's about a gadget factory for civilians. I guess they will field test their equipment off her? I can see that working like maybe once or twice at best but beyond that considering that it's a show involving superheroes from one of the biggest publishers of superhero stuff I can see it rather pissing off what few fans the show might have if all they show is a D-Lister like Crimson Fox, it would be to the point that actually having no on-screen superheros would probably actually work more in their favor.

Well, it depends if they researched and developed which universe in the multiverse this show is in.
It could be the current DC movie-verse (Marvel has its own movie-verse), but it could be another like Arrow-verse. Granted, that would imply Batman is in Arrow-verse.

Hopeless
2017-02-08, 04:15 PM
Would this have worked better if they revealed Vanessa Hudgens IS Crimson Fox?

Crimson Fox as I recall was French and a set of identical twins so whilst one kept up their shared identity the other wore the costume so if they played close to the original this would work and explain her chirpiness since she's trying to calm down those inside the carriage which wasn't needed!

BiblioRook
2017-02-08, 04:59 PM
That might actually make things more interesting, but I can't really see them doing that. I actually questioned before even if the Crimson Fox of the show was actually even in any way connected to the one from the comics or if they merely recycled the name from an old obscure hero that wasn't getting any use but is otherwise unrelated.

Fishybugs
2017-02-08, 06:35 PM
I thought about it too, but according to IMDB, Crimson Fox is played by Atlin Mitchell (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3693201/?ref_=tt_cl_t7). Granted, most of her work is stunt work and they could sub Hudgens in when the mask is off, but that seems a little far-fetched to me.

BiblioRook
2017-02-08, 06:44 PM
It would also probably make it a completely different show. I mean "R&D technician for Wayne Enterprises secretly moonlighting as a superhero" is probably much more of a story then Powerless could ever aspire to.

Joran
2017-02-17, 03:33 PM
I could see Crimson Fox's involvement in the show much clearer when the show was about an insurance agency and she was this reckless hero that didn't concern herself to much with collateral damage, but I'm not sure where she fits in with a show that's about a gadget factory for civilians. I guess they will field test their equipment off her?

Sounds similar to the premise of Trigun; there's a one man force of nature who is the cause of the majority of an insurance company's losses, so they send two insurance agents to try to contain him and the damage he causes.

I agree with everyone; there's nothing so far in the show that leads to any kind of conflict or interesting dynamics. So far it seems like an excessively perky middle manager trying to manage quirky techies who hate or resent her and a completely incompetent, self-absorbed boss. It's very paint by the numbers and they have yet to use the setting to good use.

They just added a new character who may or may not be a superhero and maybe that'll spice things up, but as of now, it's boring.

BiblioRook
2017-02-17, 06:00 PM
I agree with everyone; there's nothing so far in the show that leads to any kind of conflict or interesting dynamics. So far it seems like an excessively perky middle manager trying to manage quirky techies who hate or resent her and a completely incompetent, self-absorbed boss. It's very paint by the numbers and they have yet to use the setting to good use.

Again, back when it was a show about an insurance company there was conflict right from the get-go between the bleeding heart team-leader who legitimately wanted to help people (which, for nothing else, really worked with the theme of 'everyday heroes') and the ruthless new boss who cared only about maximizing profits and it really seemed like something they could work a show around and I really can't for the life of me figure out how they could come to the conclusion that they should replace that with... what we currently have.

tomandtish
2017-02-17, 07:03 PM
Again, back when it was a show about an insurance company there was conflict right from the get-go between the bleeding heart team-leader who legitimately wanted to help people (which, for nothing else, really worked with the theme of 'everyday heroes') and the ruthless new boss who cared only about maximizing profits and it really seemed like something they could work a show around and I really can't for the life of me figure out how they could come to the conclusion that they should replace that with... what we currently have.

Have to agree. Just watched the third episode. I normally give a show 5 episodes, but took this one off the record list after the third.

It's a sitcom that isn't funny. It's a superhero show with almost no superheroes, minimal superhero action, and worse special effects than CW shows. They just seem to be taking almost every sitcom trope out there and assume it will work because it's a "DC" show.

Palanan
2017-03-07, 10:07 PM
Just watched the second and third episodes tonight.

It’s light, it’s silly, it’s goofy. Since that’s what I was in the mood for, it worked for me.

That said, I have to agree that it isn’t really funny, and Alan Tudyk is sadly underutilized, to put it mildly.

I’ll give it another couple of episodes, for when I’m in an especially dane-bread frame of mind. That might be its niche. :smalltongue:

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-08, 11:04 AM
Considering the networks are already cancelling shows with better numbers (CBS just axed Doubt after two eps, despite it pulling a 4), this likely won't survive past the initial order. Rumor is Arrow got renewed primarily because CW wanted to keep the others (apparently, they're a package deal). Fox is again making noises about Gotham. And it might take a miracle to save SHIELD at this point (or enough other things getting cancelled that ABC needs to have the slot filled, which amounts to the same thing).

Fishybugs
2017-03-08, 05:55 PM
Meh. Alan Tudyk alone is enough of a reason to keep watching the show. I agree he's totally underutilized. What I hear from interviews is he's improving most of his lines. Writers. Who needs 'em?

Palanan
2017-03-09, 11:22 PM
Just watched the fourth episode, where she discovers she’s dating a henchman.

I have to admit, I was laughing. “5 Signs You’re Dating A Henchman” was great, and the Green Lantern ring was a nice touch.

Still as fluffy as a zero-g meringue, but once they started playing with the superhero tropes the humor actually worked. The first few episodes seemed artificial, just generic stories with a stray supervillain here and there; this one at least showed the characters interacting with (and being totally outclassed by) both mooks and heroes. Still incredibly silly, but at least the show lives up to its name.

Sadly, every character is played as a caricature of themselves, if not a walking cliché, and it’s hard to imagine much genuine character development here. There’s a missed opportunity to present real people here—as opposed to caricatures of ordinary people—and let them work through all the issues of dealing with supers while being just regular folks.

Light and fun as it is, I still wish they’d kept the original concept. Verizon FiOS, who apparently didn’t get the latest advertising copy, still describes the show this way: “An insurance adjuster becomes a cult hero after standing up to a superhero.” That would’ve been a far better approach, and maybe one day we’ll get to see an unaired pilot which follows that premise.