PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How would you build: Newt Scamander in 5e?

DiceDiceBaby
2016-12-18, 08:42 AM
Okay, so "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" has been out long enough, so I'd like to see if we can make a PC out of its main protagonist, Newt Scamander. Suggestions most appreciated. :smallsmile:

Based on my gut feeling, here's what I got (I'm assuming level 1, but perhaps level 4 or higher is a better peg?):

(Variant) Human, Outlander, (Conjurer) Wizard
Skills: Animal Handling, Medicine, Athletics, Survival, Nature, Arcana
Feat: Healer
STR 12 DEX 12, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 8 (using Point Buy at 27, as per PHB rules)
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation
Spells: Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Shield, Mage Armor, Magic Missle, Sleep
Personality: Socially awkward magizoologist that travels around to study, protect and help magical creatures

How would you build Newt Scamander? What level would you start him off at? Would he belong to another class/background? I personally think Dimension Door is a necessity, and I can see arguments that Druid or Ranger (or multiclassing) would be best for him.

Optimization would be great, too, so that this PC doesn't feel completely left out in an adventuring party. Surely someone with this skillset would be useful in a D&D campaign? :smallbiggrin:

So, how does one transform a Potterverse Wizard into a D&D PC? :smallsmile:

gfishfunk
2016-12-18, 09:14 AM
Potter verse is difficult because of weapons and armor - they don't carry over.

I would go our ranger with magic initiate to pick up find familiar, mage hand, and firebolt (for wizardly shooting). Beast master for the animal companion.

That gives you some cantrips, a familiar, and a pet. Scammander doesn't really do a lot of magic in the movie. He is at his best when using animals, not spells.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-18, 09:51 AM
Druid. Definitely a druid; most of his coolest moments were Conjure Woodland Beasts. Magic Initiate to get Find Familiar for his little plant buddy.

Rixitichil
2016-12-18, 10:50 AM
Lore Bard. Gives you access to Animal Friendship/Talk to Animals/Conjure spells straight off the get go.
Optionally go Variant Human and get Find Familiar from a feat somehow.
Possibly grab Find Steed from Magical Secrets.

8wGremlin
2016-12-18, 04:25 PM
Lore Bard. Gives you access to Animal Friendship/Talk to Animals/Conjure spells straight off the get go.
Optionally go Variant Human and get Find Familiar from a feat somehow.
Possibly grab Find Steed from Magical Secrets.

^ this

He may be shy, but he does have a strong personality and convictions, and people do follow him.

Naanomi
2016-12-18, 04:40 PM
I'd double Lore Bard, his defining feature is knowing stuff about stuff. Take your Magical Secret spells mainly from the Druid/Ranger list. Maybe with a Knowledge/Cleric dip in there depending on how far from source material specifics one is willing to go to capture the 'feel' of the character

DiceDiceBaby
2016-12-18, 08:51 PM
Great feedback guys! I really like these suggestions. Seems we need to expand Newt's spell list. While multiclassing seems to be... not a great idea... but Magic Initiate to expand the spell list is fantastic, especially since spells in the HP verse are mostly cantrips anyway. :smallsmile:

One question though (especially if we go the Lore Bard route): what exactly should Newt's CHA score be? I pegged it at 8 because I felt that, in-universe, his personality just isn't as strong. Everyone who followed him were more convinced by his knowledge of the beasts (INT) or experience dealing with them (WIS) than his personality. He wasn't particularly running convincing Deception or Persuasion checks to the customs guard on the boat, Tina the Auror, and certainly not before the MACUSA. I could understand 10 CHA, but even that feels kind of out of place. Thoughts?

Naanomi
2016-12-18, 09:14 PM
I could understand 10 CHA, but even that feels kind of out of place. Thoughts?
Certainly he wouldn't have any proficiency in any social skills but... from a 'force of personality' perspective, he seems to be fine with a high Charisma score. He does manage to convince quite a few people to do what he wants even against their best interests. Again it depends on how much you are focused on recreating the character specifically compared to how much you are trying to capture the *spirit* of the character

gfishfunk
2016-12-18, 09:43 PM
I disagree. I think his natural awkwardness warrants less than 10 charisma. If you view the remainder of the main characters as PCs, he turns into more of the Heart and Soul of the team based on their respect for him--not innate personality strength of character.

That is take on it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-18, 09:49 PM
I disagree. I think his natural awkwardness warrants less than 10 charisma. If you view the remainder of the main characters as PCs, he turns into more of the Heart and Soul of the team based on their respect for him--not innate personality strength of character.

That is take on it.
I tend to agree.