PDA

View Full Version : [Variant] A soulknife with Options

Gralamin
2007-07-16, 09:12 PM
Why fix the Soulknife?
The Soulknife is an interesting but weak class. It suffers from many of the same problems as the monk, and I wish to fix this.
I also want the fix to be what I want them to look like, but still be balanced. This is why I’ve posted it.
Please notice I’ve changed a few of the existing class abilities.

Balanced? Against what?
Good question. I want it to be close to the Psychic warrior and Tome of Battle classes power wise. While I do not own Book of Exalted Deeds, the VoP may be considered power wise.

Credits
I’ve viewed some soulknife fixes, such as Logic Ninja’s, and have adapted the changes I like.
[hr]
Soulknife

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d10.

Class Skills
The soulknife’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis* (Wis), Climb (Str), Concentration* (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics)* (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex) Spot (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).
*See Psionic Skills

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort[br]Save|Ref[br]Save|Will[br]Save|Special|Blade[br]Points

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Mind Blade, Weapon Focus (Mindblade), Wild Talent|1

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Psychic Strike +1d8|2

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Blade Form A, Throw Mind Blade|3

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat, Partitioned Mind Blade|3

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Free Draw, Psychic Strike +2d8|4

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+5|Blade Form A, Speed of thought|5

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+5|Bladewind|5

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat, Psychic Strike +3d8|6

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Blade Form B, Greater Weapon Focus (Mindblade)|7

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Swift Strike|8

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+7|Psychic Strike +4d8|8

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+8|Bonus Feat, Blade Form B|9

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+8|Knife to the Soul|10

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+9|Psychic Strike +5d8|10

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+9|Blade Form C|11

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+10|Bonus Feat, Multiple Throw, Psychic Variation|12

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Psychic Strike +6d8|13

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Blade Form C|13

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Improved Knife to the Soul|14

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Bonus Feat, Knife of the Soul, Psychic Strike +7d8|15[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Soulknives are proficient with all simple weapons, with their own mind blades, and with medium armor and shields (except tower shields).

Blade Points
At Each level, you gain a pool of Blade Points. You may invest these Blade points into your mindblade in order to enhance it. You must have at least 1 Spare Blade Point in order to manifest your mindblade.
Investing Blade Points can be done with 10 minutes of meditation.
{table=head]Enhancement|Blade Point Cost
Masterwork|1
+1 Weapon|2
+2 Weapon|3
+3 Weapon|4
+4 Weapon|5
+5 Weapon|6
+1 Weapon Special Ability|1
+2 Weapon Special Ability|2
+3 Weapon Special Ability|3
+4 Weapon Special Ability|4
+5 Weapon Special Ability|5
Least Augment Crystal|1
Lesser Augment Crystal|2
Greater Augment Crystal|3[/table]

A mindblade must be made at least +1 before you may apply enhancements. You may learn more abilities by inspecting a weapon for 5 minutes and making a knowledge (Psionics) DC (10+Equivalent Enhancement Bonus) check to figure out how to apply it to your mind blade. Your mindblade must be in a form where the enhancement may be applied (eg: Keen cannot be applied to a Quarterstaff Mindblade). You start off play knowing the following abilities:
+1: Defending, Keen, Lucky, Mighty Cleaving, Psychokinetic, Sundering, Vicious
+2: Collision, Mindcrusher, Psychokinetic Burst, Suppression, Wounding
+3: Bodyfeeder, Mindfeeder, Soulbreaker.
A mindblade cannot exceed a total of +10 enhancement bonus.
In addition, a Mindblade may fuse an Augment Crystal they possess with a mind blade until they meditate. The Augment Crystal augments any mind blade created.

In the case of using more then one mindblade, a soulknife’s enhancement bonus is split between the weapons/sides, and all abilities affect both sides/all weapons.

Mind Blade (Su)
As a move action, a soulknife can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind, provided the soulknife has at least 1 blade point and 1 power point. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword of a size appropriate for its wielder. For instance, a Medium soulknife materializes a Medium mind blade that he can wield as a light weapon, and the blade deals 1d6 points of damage (crit 19-20/×2). Soulknives who are smaller or larger than Medium create mind blades identical to short swords appropriate for their size, with a corresponding change to the blade’s damage. The wielder of a mind blade gains the usual benefits to his attack roll and damage roll from a high Strength bonus.
The blade can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, a soulknife can simply create another on his next move action. The moment he relinquishes his grip on his blade, it dissipates (unless he intends to throw it; see below). A mind blade is considered a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
A soulknife can use feats such as Power Attack or Combat Expertise in conjunction with the mind blade just as if it were a normal weapon. He can also choose mind blade for feats requiring a specific weapon choice, such as Weapon Specialization. Powers or spells that upgrade weapons can be used on a mind blade.
Even in places where psionic effects do not normally function (such as within a null psionics field), a soulknife can attempt to sustain his mind blade by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the soulknife maintains his mind blade for a number of rounds equal to his class level before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the mind blade vanishes. As a move action on his turn, the soulknife can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize his mind blade while he remains within the psionics negating effect.

Weapon Focus (Mind Blade)
A soulknife gains Weapon Focus (mind blade) as a bonus feat.

Wild Talent
A soulknife gains Wild Talent as a bonus feat. (This class feature provides the character with the psionic power he needs to materialize his mind blade, if he has no power points otherwise.)

Throw Mind Blade (Ex)
A soul knife of 2nd level or higher can throw his mind blade as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 30 feet.
Whether or not the attack hits, a thrown mind blade then dissipates. A soulknife of 3rd level or higher can make a psychic strike (see below) with a thrown mind blade and can use the blade in conjunction with other special abilities (such as Knife to the Soul; see below).

Psychic Strike (Su)
As a move action, a soulknife of 2nd level or higher can imbue his mind blade with destructive psychic energy. This effect deals an extra 1d8 points of damage to the next living, nonmindless target he successfully hits with a melee attack (or ranged attack, if he is using the throw mind blade ability). Creatures immune to mind-affecting effects are immune to psychic strike damage. (Unlike the rogue’s sneak attack, the psychic strike is not precision damage and can affect creatures otherwise immune to extra damage from critical hits or more than 30 feet away, provided they are living, nonmindless creatures not immune to mind-affecting effects.)
A mind blade deals this extra damage only once when this ability is called upon, but a soulknife can imbue his mind blade with psychic energy again by taking a move action.
Once a soulknife has prepared his blade for a psychic strike, it holds the extra energy until it is used. Even if the soulknife drops the mind blade (or it otherwise dissipates, such as when it is thrown and misses), it is still imbued with psychic energy when the soulknife next materializes it.
At every three levels beyond 2nd (5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 20th), the extra damage from a soulknife’s psychic strike increases as shown on the Table above.

Free Draw (Su)
At 5th level, a soulknife becomes able to materialize his mind blade as a free action instead of a move action. He can make only one attempt to materialize the mind blade per round, however.

Blade Form (Ex)
At level 3 and every three levels thereafter, you gain a Blade Form. A Blade Form is an alternative way you can shape your mind blade. You are considered proficient in any form you choose. Each time you gain this ability, you can choose a weapon from the list of the same letter as the ability, or anyone before it (so if you gain Blade Form B, you can choose from List A or List B)

{table=head]List A|List B|List C
Bastard Sword|Falchion|Dwarven Urgrosh
Club|Glaive|Gauntlet|
Dagger|Great Axe|Gnome Hooked Hammer|
Javelin|Greatsword|Orc Double Axe|
Kukri|Net|Spiked Chain|
Longsword|Quarterstaff|-
Mace, Heavy|Scythe|-
Scimitar|Whip|-
Shuriken|-|-
Spear|-|-[/table]
A Blade Form acts exactly as the weapon in question, including damage, interaction with power attack, interaction with two weapon fighting, and damage type. All Blade Forms can be thrown either the indicated distance or 30 feet, whichever is greater.
Alternatively, you may Forgo gaining a Blade Form to gain a Feat from the Bonus Feat list below.

Bonus Feat
At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, the Soulknife gains a bonus feat. The soulknife can choose from any feat on this list, provided they meet the prerequisites:
Cleave, Combat Expertise, Deep Impact*, Dodge, Great Cleave, Greater Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Mental Leap*, Mind over Body*, Mobility, Power Attack, Psionic Body*, Psionic Charge*, Psionic Dodge*, Psionic Meditation*, Psionic Weapon*, Sidestep Charge*, Speed of Thought*, Spring Attack, Stand Still*, Two Weapon Fighting, Up the Walls*
*Feat described in the expanded Psionic Handbook

Partitioned Mind Blade
Your Mind Blades shaping ability expands. You are able to create one mind blade for each hand you possess. You may also make a double sided mind blade, provided you have the Blade Form required. This has the implications outlined in Blade Points. Shaping all Mind blades is a swift action.

Speed of Thought
A soulknife gains Speed of Thought as a bonus feat at 6th level. If he has already gained Speed of Thought, he may choose a different feat from the Bonus Feat list above.

Bladewind (Su)
At 7th level, a soulknife gains the ability to momentarily fragment his mind blade into numerous identical blades, each of which strikes at a nearby opponent.
As a full attack, when wielding his mind blade, a soulknife can give up his regular attacks and instead fragment his mind blade to make one melee attack at his full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach. Each fragment functions identically to the soulknife’s regular mind blade.
When using bladewind, a soulknife forfeits any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats or abilities (such as the Cleave feat or the haste spell).
The mind blade immediately reverts to its previous form after the bladewind attack.

Greater Weapon Focus (Mind Blade)
A soulknife gains Greater Weapon Focus (mind blade) as a bonus feat at 9th level.

Swift Strike
At 10th level, a Soulknife may regain Psychic Strike as a Swift action. This may be done in between attacks.

Knife to the Soul (Su)
Beginning at 13th level, when a soulknife executes a psychic strike, he can choose to substitute Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma damage (his choice) for extra dice of damage. For each die of extra damage he gives up, he deals 1 point of damage to the ability score he chooses. A soulknife can combine extra dice of damage and ability damage in any combination.
The soulknife decides which ability score his psychic strike damages and the division of ability damage and extra dice of damage when he imbues his mind blade with the psychic strike energy.
At 19th level, the soulknife is treated as having an extra 3d8 psychic strike damage, for the purposes of Knife to the Soul

Multiple Throw (Ex)
At 16th level and higher, a soulknife can throw a number of mind blades per round equal to the number of melee attacks he could make.

Psychic Variation
At 16th level and higher, a soulknife may give up Psychic strike damage at the beginning of the day. If he chooses to do so, he can gain his choice of the following benefits. This choice cannot be changed without 10 minutes of mediation.
{table=head]Benefit|Psychic Strike[br]Dice Loss
Evasion|2d8
Evasion - Improved Evasion|1d8
Extra Blade Point|3d8
Flight (60 feet, Good)|2d8
Flight - Improve Maneuverability|1d8
Flight - Improve Speed (10 feet)|1d8
Mettle|2d8
Mettle – Improved Mettle|1d8[/table]

Knife of the Soul (Ex)
At 20th level, you reach a pinnacle of power, granting many benefits. Your Mind blade becomes an Extraordinary Ability. In Addition, you may change the benefits of Psychic Variation as a swift action. You gain Damage Reduction 10/Deep Crystal, and become an Outsider (Native).

[hr]
What do you think?

Catch
2007-07-16, 11:48 PM
You might want to take a peek at TLN's fix for the Soulknife here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20425).

He had the blade points idea some time ago, though yours is more complete and his more modular.

Gralamin
2007-07-17, 12:30 AM
You might want to take a peek at TLN's fix for the Soulknife here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20425).

He had the blade points idea some time ago, though yours is more complete and his more modular.

Hmm, that sounds familiar for some reason...

Credits
I’ve viewed some soulknife fixes, such as Logic Ninja’s, and have adapted the changes I like.

CthulhuM
2007-07-17, 01:59 AM
Overall I'd say I like it quite a bit, but it retains two fairly significant issues from the original mindblade class. The first is that it has no way of overcoming any sort of damage reduction other than magic, which, for a class that is focused entirely on hitting things with a sword, is a problem. There were a few Dragon magazine feats that addressed this issue (albeit poorly), and one item from the MIC, but it seems like the class shouldn't have to rely on outside sources for such an essential feature. Plus, as far as I know, there is no way at all for a soulknife to overcome alignment-based damage reduction.

Perhaps you could allow the soulknife to spend 1 mind blade point to make his blade adamantine/silver/cold iron (and maybe even deep crystal, to give them at least one small outlet for their few power points), and add holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic to the available weapon abilities - so long as the soulknife's alignment isn't opposed to the one he wants to manifest.

The other problem with the class is that the available skill choices and armor options seem to be telling the player that the soulknife should be a sneaky high-dex fighter (probably using TWF), but the class honestly isn't that well suited to it with the blade point splitting and lack of bonus feats and such. Plus, it seems like if a soulknife wants to walk around in full plate and smash things with a big two-hander, there's no particular reason they should be forced to take a random level of fighter in order to do so.

Gralamin
2007-07-17, 12:18 PM
Overall I'd say I like it quite a bit, but it retains two fairly significant issues from the original mindblade class. The first is that it has no way of overcoming any sort of damage reduction other than magic, which, for a class that is focused entirely on hitting things with a sword, is a problem. There were a few Dragon magazine feats that addressed this issue (albeit poorly), and one item from the MIC, but it seems like the class shouldn't have to rely on outside sources for such an essential feature. Plus, as far as I know, there is no way at all for a soulknife to overcome alignment-based damage reduction.
I have that covered, as you can learn more enchantments (such as holy, Unholy, axiomatic, and Anarchic) by studying a weapon possessing the enchantment. In addition, it can become a Bludgeoning Weapon, a Piercing Weapon, Etc.

Perhaps you could allow the soulknife to spend 1 mind blade point to make his blade adamantine/silver/cold iron (and maybe even deep crystal, to give them at least one small outlet for their few power points), and add holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic to the available weapon abilities - so long as the soulknife's alignment isn't opposed to the one he wants to manifest.
Check out the above, and the Metalline Enhancement from Magic Item Compendium, Or even the Transmuting Enhancement from Magic Item Compendium.

The other problem with the class is that the available skill choices and armor options seem to be telling the player that the soulknife should be a sneaky high-dex fighter (probably using TWF), but the class honestly isn't that well suited to it with the blade point splitting and lack of bonus feats and such. Plus, it seems like if a soulknife wants to walk around in full plate and smash things with a big two-hander, there's no particular reason they should be forced to take a random level of fighter in order to do so.
Ah yes, I think I'll change the proficiencies and Skills.

Edit: I added a few fighter skills, and gave them medium armor. I'm also thinking of adding bonus feats...

Arakune
2007-07-17, 02:01 PM
I have that covered, as you can learn more enchantments (such as holy, Unholy, axiomatic, and Anarchic) by studying a weapon possessing the enchantment. In addition, it can become a Bludgeoning Weapon, a Piercing Weapon, Etc.

Check out the above, and the Metalline Enhancement from Magic Item Compendium, Or even the Transmuting Enhancement from Magic Item Compendium.

Ah yes, I think I'll change the proficiencies and Skills.

Edit: I added a few fighter skills, and gave them medium armor. I'm also thinking of adding bonus feats...

yu can drop the blade forms and give him martial weapons proficiency, and at X level, he can reshape his mind blade in any kind of weapon he can use.

that gives him more options and more space for bonus feats.

Gralamin
2007-07-17, 02:06 PM
No I don't like that idea too much. It seems to me it'd would take training to transform into different forms. That is why there is feats for different weapons even before this variant.

I might just add a bonus feat at level 5, 10, 15 and 20.

Matthew
2007-07-29, 09:17 AM
Not bad at all. I like that you have granted them access to Medium Armour. My only worry is the complexity of the Class, which I think many Home Brewed Classes suffer from [i.e. pages of discourse on what the Class Features mean]. It's probably just my preference for Feat Built Classes showing through, though.