PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thoughts on Rogue/Bladelock MC

Tsugeta7
2016-12-18, 08:40 PM
I was thinking about playing a rogue/bladelock for the next campaign im playing in. The only thing i cant quite figure out is build. the DM is letting us start at level 3, so I was thinking of dumping straight into warlock 3 for blade pact, fiend archtype, Agonizing Blast and Devil Sight for invocations. for spells, Minor Illusion and Eldritch Blast cantrips, and Hex, Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image, and Darkness. Once I get level 5, i'd replace Agonizing blast with thirsting blade. level 6 i would dip into rogue. The other thing i thought about doing was starting rogue 1/warlock 2 and going from there to lock 5

The class i would be picking is a ported version of Pinn Pann from pathfinder. main stats from that are +2 dex and cha, +1 ac, +1 attack bonus, +4 stealth bonus, 50ft flying, as well as +2 racial against non-magical ranged attacks.

Is there anything I should watch out for, or anything I should change?

Gignere
2016-12-18, 10:15 PM
I was thinking about playing a rogue/bladelock for the next campaign im playing in. The only thing i cant quite figure out is build. the DM is letting us start at level 3, so I was thinking of dumping straight into warlock 3 for blade pact, fiend archtype, Agonizing Blast and Devil Sight for invocations. for spells, Minor Illusion and Eldritch Blast cantrips, and Hex, Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image, and Darkness. Once I get level 5, i'd replace Agonizing blast with thirsting blade. level 6 i would dip into rogue. The other thing i thought about doing was starting rogue 1/warlock 2 and going from there to lock 5

The class i would be picking is a ported version of Pinn Pann from pathfinder. main stats from that are +2 dex and cha, +1 ac, +1 attack bonus, +4 stealth bonus, 50ft flying, as well as +2 racial against non-magical ranged attacks.

Is there anything I should watch out for, or anything I should change?

I am working on a similar build but I don't think blade lock is actually good for this MC. For sneak attacking rogue starting out will give you all the weapon proficiencies that you can potentially want. This build you are really just abusing the crap out of darkness to basically bonus action hide and sneak attack every attack preferably using GFB or BB. Personally I think the tome lock is the best for this build since you don't lack for weapon proficiencies and you can attack magically with GFB or BB so extra attack is really not necessary. You probably won't get enough levels of lock to get life drinker. So I think getting 3 extra cantrips, find familiar and potentially access to all rituals that you can cast in the game is a way better deal. As for rogue I think the best subclass is either arcane trickster or swashbuckler depending on if you want more versatility or more combat prowess.

Specter
2016-12-18, 10:17 PM
I don't see why the build shift after level 5. What you could do is start Rogue 2/Warlock 1, and then build your character from there. Cunning Action is the main playstyle changer of Rogue; being able to diesngage or dash or hide as needed will save your life. And Agonizing Blast will do as much damage as your attack with sneak attack going on.

Tsugeta7
2016-12-18, 11:33 PM
I am working on a similar build but I don't think blade lock is actually good for this MC. For sneak attacking rogue starting out will give you all the weapon proficiencies that you can potentially want. This build you are really just abusing the crap out of darkness to basically bonus action hide and sneak attack every attack preferably using GFB or BB. Personally I think the tome lock is the best for this build since you don't lack for weapon proficiencies and you can attack magically with GFB or BB so extra attack is really not necessary. You probably won't get enough levels of lock to get life drinker. So I think getting 3 extra cantrips, find familiar and potentially access to all rituals that you can cast in the game is a way better deal. As for rogue I think the best subclass is either arcane trickster or swashbuckler depending on if you want more versatility or more combat prowess.
we arent playing with SCAG so unfortunately, i cant use GFG or BB. My DM is taking the PHB RAW text, so I can get life drinker at character level 12 (i know that the creators said its warlock 12, and was an oversight in the text). I dont think the 3 extra cantrips are really that appealing for how I wanted to play the character. I thought about Arcane trickster or assassin. couldnt decide which. I planned on abusing the darkness/devil sight combo, aided with the 50ft flying speed i get from the class i was allowed porting over.

I don't see why the build shift after level 5. What you could do is start Rogue 2/Warlock 1, and then build your character from there. Cunning Action is the main playstyle changer of Rogue; being able to diesngage or dash or hide as needed will save your life. And Agonizing Blast will do as much damage as your attack with sneak attack going on.
I dont want to play a blastlock. I've played them before and I know how OP they can be. I wanted to stray away from the caster lock, thats why i picked bladelock.

lunaticfringe
2016-12-18, 11:59 PM
Well since Invocations are keyed off CL not Warlock level I'd keep my Warlock levels low. Since you can change Invocations when you level up I'd Go Rogue 2 first because of Skills & Cunning Action. Then at Warlock 3 you can swap your Not Devil's Sight Invocation for Thristing Blade. Your delaying your ASI, but 16 Dex is solid until CL 8+ and you will make up the delay later.

I have played Roguelock Darkness/Devil's Sight isn't that great, it screws with your team. It's awesome for you though so if Scouting/Seperated let her rip. Familiars(can get with AT or feat), Shield Master (fighter/rogues), Greater Invisibility(AT) and just being a team player(any Rogue) are great/better ways of landing sneak every round.

Tsugeta7
2016-12-19, 01:06 AM
Well since Invocations are keyed off CL not Warlock level I'd keep my Warlock levels low. Since you can change Invocations when you level up I'd Go Rogue 2 first because of Skills & Cunning Action. Then at Warlock 3 you can swap your Not Devil's Sight Invocation for Thristing Blade. Your delaying your ASI, but 16 Dex is solid until CL 8+ and you will make up the delay later.

I have played Roguelock Darkness/Devil's Sight isn't that great, it screws with your team. It's awesome for you though so if Scouting/Seperated let her rip. Familiars(can get with AT or feat), Shield Master (fighter/rogues), Greater Invisibility(AT) and just being a team player(any Rogue) are great/better ways of landing sneak every round.
Im not worried about delaying my ASI right now. My rolls were godly thank god :P. my dex is 20, cha 18, and con is 17. GI doesnt break if you attack, correct? Looking at it now, I should be dipping AT for the spell slots. Also I cant change my invocations unless i level up in warlock.