PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Polymorph vs Cursed Weapons/Armor

Gignere
2016-12-18, 09:59 PM
Does polymorph suppress the curses of weapons/armors while they are merged? For example how would you rule a barbarian with berserker axe polymorphed into a giant ape? Does the berserker axe curse still apply and the barbarian attacks with disadvantage because he can't use the axe?

Second does the berserk curse still apply? Does the barbarian have to still make the DC 15 save or is it consider not in his possession?

Please help.

Llama513
2016-12-18, 10:07 PM
While merged you can not gain the benefits of the item, as such I would rule that you are untouched by the curse, and if all else as you are a giant ape, you could not fuse with the weapon and wield it as the Ape is capable of using weapons, in truth that is how I would rule it, that because you are able to wield the axe it does not fuse and you continue to wield it while poly morphed

Gignere
2016-12-18, 10:17 PM
While merged you can not gain the benefits of the item, as such I would rule that you are untouched by the curse, and if all else as you are a giant ape, you could not fuse with the weapon and wield it as the Ape is capable of using weapons, in truth that is how I would rule it, that because you are able to wield the axe it does not fuse and you continue to wield it while poly morphed

A huge creature can't wield a weapon designed for a medium creature. So it should merge, polymorph in this edition doesn't resize magic weapons, based on your ruling.

Llama513
2016-12-18, 10:35 PM
A huge creature can't wield a weapon designed for a medium creature. So it should merge, polymorph in this edition doesn't resize magic weapons, based on your ruling.
Forgot about that in that case since you don't benefit from it I would say the curse doesn't affect you

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-18, 10:55 PM
what if a cursed item inflicts polymorph say changing you into a talking bunny specifically can still speak common

Llama513
2016-12-18, 11:19 PM
Then being hit by polymorph would do nothing, since the curse polymorph I would consider to be a higher level casting and thus overrules the other polymorph casting

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-18, 11:24 PM
thanks verry much

RickAllison
2016-12-18, 11:27 PM
Using Polymorph (a fourth-level spell, so high cost) to temporarily bypass a curse sounds legitimate. They still have it when they turn back. I would be worried about that in relation to a Druid, however. They could effectively ignore the curse if their Wild Shape isn't destroyed...

Oh, and magic items can resize if the DM wants them to. It is on a an individual basis, but the rules are in the DMG that magic items can resize.