PDA

View Full Version : How Do Multiple Types of Regeneration From Multiple Sources Work?

Technetium43
2016-12-19, 05:11 AM
Rather self explanatory, what happens if you have multiple types of regeneration from multiple sources? For example, if you have both Regeneration 5 Good, and Regeneration 10 Fire or Acid?

Aasimar
2016-12-19, 05:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that you get your highest regeneration value that is not currently blocked by it's counter.

So, some sort of demonic troll that had both Regeneration 5 good and Regeneration 10 Acid/Fire would regenerate 10 from normal weapon damage each round.

If someone hit it with a good weapon, it would still regenerate 10 that round. If someone hit it with acid damage, it would still regenerate 5 that round, unless it had also been struck with good damage.

So, pretty tough to kill.

Jormengand
2016-12-19, 05:46 AM
The creature turns all damage that is neither good-fire or good-acid into nonlethal damage. Nothing says that regeneration doesn't stack, so the creature removes 15 points of nonlethal damage per round. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration)

Ualaa
2016-12-19, 08:11 PM
Out of curiosity, does anything say that they do stack?

Jormengand
2016-12-19, 10:30 PM
Out of curiosity, does anything say that they do stack?

No, but "Each round, you remove 10 points of nonlethal damage. Each round, you remove 5 points of nonlethal damage" is relatively clear in that both will take effect unless something stops them.

Afgncaap5
2016-12-20, 01:37 AM
I'm inclined to agree that, by RAW, they stack. This actually raises a question I've wondered about before: dealing good/fire is always fun since it means things like the Silver Pyromancer prestige class and the Phoenix Fire spell are on the table in theory... however, "half the damage is fire and the other half is sacred energy" might mean that the magic is penalized twice if you treat it as two separate blocks of hit point damage, theoretically making it *more* susceptible, which probably isn't RAI, but is potentially how it might go down.

...now I'm trying to remember if I've ever actually seen it specified that "sacred" damage is the same as "good" damage.

Probably not useful, but while poking around on this I learned that 4e has a specific line calling out that multiple regeneration types don't stack in the Player's Handbook. This ain't 4e, though, so even citing that as evidence for RAI would be suspect.

Jormengand
2016-12-20, 02:21 AM
I don't see how the spell would be "Penalised" twice - either the damage is of a type that gets converted to nonlethal, or it isn't. Resistance would penalise, say, an energy admixtured spell twice, but regeneration wouldn't.