PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Help

GreyBlack
2016-12-19, 05:44 AM
Hello everyone! So I'm starting to play around with a worldbuilding exercise (base rules d20) which sort of excises the worst elements of spellcasting. I would like to keep spells in game, but I have always felt that it should be more tied to a skill system than a class feature. Can anyone point me in a direction of places to start building from? Any help would be much appreciated!

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-19, 08:21 AM
The 3.5 Truenamer springs to mind, as much for the mistakes as for the strengths.

Jormengand
2016-12-19, 08:55 AM
To clarify, the truenamer is desparately close to being a functional class. The main problems is that the DC formula causes the same utterances to get harder to speak as you level, except the ones from the Lexicon of the Perfected Map. The formula that the Perfected Map utterances use (15+level*10) is a bit extreme if you want spells to have their normal levels; you could make the difficulty 10+level*2. Keep the Law of Resistance, which says that the DC increases by 2 each time you want to use the same ability (which therefore limits the number of times you can use it).

Alternatively, you could substitute something like Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm), without the harsh penalties for screwing up.