PDA

View Full Version : Kensai, did they clarify this?

Spacehamster
2016-12-19, 08:56 AM
So they already clarified that you can use flurry and martial arts after attacking with a Kensai weapon,
but also seen people say that with a greatsword you can choose to have its die turn into 2d8 and 2d10 when reaching
the monk level where your martial arts die becomes that size, has this been stated as its intent?

On another note I tried out a Bugbear Fighter 1 Kensai 5 yesterday and it were really enjoyable to play. :)

jaappleton
2016-12-19, 09:15 AM
No.

If you use a Greatsword, its 2d6. When your Martial Arts die changes to say, d8, the Greatsword doesn't become 2d8. It stays at 2d6.

Spacehamster
2016-12-19, 09:18 AM
No.

If you use a Greatsword, its 2d6. When your Martial Arts die changes to say, d8, the Greatsword doesn't become 2d8. It stays at 2d6.

Ok thats how I understood it too but seen lots of people say it gets bigger.

Joe the Rat
2016-12-19, 09:28 AM
... ah, no. Too easy.

So MA can be used in conjunction with Kensei weapons now?

jaappleton
2016-12-19, 09:31 AM
... ah, no. Too easy.

So MA can be used in conjunction with Kensei weapons now?

Yes and no.

According to the playtest? No.

However, via Twitter, Mearls & Crawford revealed that Kensei Weapons not being Monk Weapons was an experiment that wasn't worth continuing. There's already a revision of the Kensei where they are Monk weapons. However, nobody knows what other changes were made. Maybe Heavy weapons are excluded? Who knows.

They've essentially admitted that Kensei, as it is purely written, is a mess. However, the concept of it is something they want to continue to refine for 5E.

Spacehamster
2016-12-19, 09:44 AM
I think with flurry and martial arts the kensai is awesome, what people seem
to forget is that a Kensai is supposed to be an incredible warrior so it makes sense
that they do more damage than a "normal" monk especially since they get
fever other ki usage options. Functions well as a pure combat monk. :)

Arcangel4774
2016-12-19, 06:14 PM
but also seen people say that with a greatsword you can choose to have its die turn into 2d8 and 2d10 when reaching
the monk level where your martial arts die becomes that size

This was me, it's me showing that depending on your ruling of the "damage die" this could be stupid. It was mostly a sarcastic shot at barbarian greatsword/maul crits only getting an extra 1d6. The argument in both cases is the greatsword/maul 2d6 is considered a single die. I like consistency in rulings and it would bug me if the ruling on what a weapon's damage die is, is inconsistent.

However an errata states the opposite so...