PDA

View Full Version : My laptop isn't making noises any more...Computer people please help.

Syka
2007-07-16, 10:06 PM
Ok, around 10.20 this evening, while playing Mah Jongg and listening to some music, I heard a very, very, very faint 'pop' and then my sound stopped. Nothing. Absolutely NOTHING. I tried head phones. No luck. Then I checked my volume to make sure I wasn't stupid and somehow turned it off. Newp.

So I called Dell, and we did some stuff. The guy says it has to be a software problem, so I'll be running my virus scan in Safe Mode tonight while I sleep and if it doesn't solve the problem I'm supposed to call them back.

But...I don't trust him. He also said there is a built in microphone on my comp, and as far as I can tell from my owners manual and my own experience...There isn't. So I'm hesitant to believe him.

What are the chances that my sound card blew? Is that even possible? I'm still underwarranty at least. And my sound was not loud, it was fairly quiet, and I don't blast my music or anything.

I really need my sound back...because I need my music. :smallfrown: I only have four CD's with me up at school, and half my music I don't even physically have because it came from my ex. Music is how I relax, and now all I have is Lamb of God, Lacuna Coil (maybe), and some mix of Blind Guardian and Dragon Force. *sigh* Help?

Cheers,
Syka

EDIT: Ok, I don't know what happened but my sound just came back. I swear, when I first rebooted there wasn't anything. And it just came back. Can someone please tell me that Stan (the laptop) is not becoming ill? >>'

Khaldan
2007-07-16, 10:39 PM
Huh. sounds like one of two things, so if you could answer just one question for me, near the laptop screen, there should be one or two sets of slits or holeswhere the sounds comes out of. Is there one or two? (not trying to sound cryptic, but i can fully explain once i know.)

FdL
2007-07-16, 10:39 PM
Hmmm...Something similar happened to my cousin. With the sound, I mean. Differences being that he's got a desktop pc with a SB Live. But I seem to recall that he had made some research, and that he had read something about being a know issue with some drivers.

For now the best you can do is to keep using it normally, but pay attention to the circumstances in which that happens if it ever happens again (which I hope it never does).

Laptops are tricky anyway. I don't know if soundcard parts can be replaced but I guess they can.

Son don't fret. In any case, the worst you'd have to do is reinstall windows (maybe). But hey, here's hoping that it was a freak incident and it will never happen again ^^

Syka
2007-07-16, 10:41 PM
There are two speakers on either side toward the bottom. Say you are sitting facing the lap top, hands rest on the keyboard. They would be right below each arm on the front.

Yah, I just hope it holds...*sigh*

Cheers,
Syka

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-07-16, 10:53 PM
FYI, you can get good sound cards for like $30 from websites like newegg.com, or someplace similar. v

Semidi
2007-07-16, 10:55 PM
First I'd....

Run virus scan (doesn't sound like the problem but it's nice to have that out of the way).

Update your drivers (I'd go for Sound, BIOS, and Motherboard just to have your bases covered).

Look to see if your PC notices your sound card or drivers(Control Panel -> System Information -> System Check (or just system) -> hardware -> device manager) Go to sound, video, and game controls. Do you notice any (!)? If you do then it's your drivers or sound card.

Test the integrity of your RAM, sometimes faulty memory can make your whole PC go ape ****. Another warning sign of this is if you constantly get corruption errors.

Finally, if you have any plug and play speakers (or borrow a set from a friend, family member, easily intimidated child), try those out. (plug & play are the ones with a USB cord, they don't require drivers of their own)

After that, I'd call DELL a few more times until you get someone who can do more than tell you to update your drivers and run virus scans.

Edit:

FYI, you can get good sound cards for like $30 from websites like newegg.com, or someplace similar. v

It's a laptop. I'd say the same thing if it wasn't.

Khaldan
2007-07-16, 10:58 PM
Hrm. My guess is that if there is a mircophone on the laptop (doubtful, but possible) it starting taking too much power and the sound card overloading. See if ctonrol panel/sounds+audio devices and see if you can get the microphone to be turned off. If theres not a mircophone, then the power cable to the sound card overloaded for some reason, hopefully a freak accident with the planets lining up :)

Gygaxphobia
2007-07-17, 05:13 AM
I get a very similar problem on my desktop occasionally. I think it's a loose wire, but I can't find it.

Missing Shoe
2007-07-17, 07:36 AM
Well at least it's working now:smallsmile: If it was your sound card you would be in trouble because you would either have to send it in to get it fixed or take it to some computer fixing place. Laptops are tricky, especially ones that have the sound card built into the motherboard. Ick.

Hope it doesnt happen again, but if it does, us GitP geeks are here for ya :smallbiggrin:

valadil
2007-07-17, 11:29 AM
I hate to ask the condescending question, but is there any chance the audio became unplugged? My speakers make a popping noise if I have the volume up while I unplug them. Try unplugging them and see if the noise that comes out is anything like what you heard.

I've never encountered a laptop with a soundcard that could be removed independent of the motherboard. Dell laptop mobos are much easier to replace than you'd think though. I can do them in about 25 minutes. The trick is keeping track of all the screws. Best way to do it is to get an ice cube tray and dump each set of screws into one compartment in the tray sequentially so you can reverse direction and put it all back together in the same order.

Vonriel
2007-07-17, 11:38 AM
Erm, if she could unplug the built-in speakers, I'd be surprised. Remember, she told us that the sound comes from two speakers at the "bottom" of the keyboard area.
There are two speakers on either side toward the bottom. Say you are sitting facing the lap top, hands rest on the keyboard. They would be right below each arm on the front.

Syka
2007-07-17, 11:45 AM
Last night I ran a virus scan, and it came up with nothing. Admittedly, there was a crud load of spyware. But...I'm still having issues with a popup that I had happen many moons ago also. (It's like WinCleaner or something...I know it's a trojan or what have you).

Everything is being recognized, there are no question marks. He had me check that.

I haven't had any other problems with Stan, other than the spyware (which is being dealt with) and some wireless connectivity (which only happens at home, and Dell is aware).

I swear, this poor thing is more trouble than it's worth. If my sound really does die for good I might just go and get a desktop. Heck, this boy already pretty much functions as one.

Cheers,
Syka

EDIT: I'm still looking for this supposed built in microphone I have...>>'

Swedish chef
2007-07-17, 04:14 PM
I swear, this poor thing is more trouble than it's worth. If my sound really does die for good I might just go and get a desktop. Heck, this boy already pretty much functions as one.

Cheers,
Syka

EDIT: I'm still looking for this supposed built in microphone I have...>>'

A desktopmachine is way better for a workstation (e.g when you study and write reports and stuff). Laptops have a way to cause bad posture and such. It is way easier to sit correct with a desktop. Although a laptp is WAY more portable and that scores a lot of points.

If I were you I would try to reinstall the sounddrivers. If that does'nt work I'm afraid that malfunctioning hardware (probably soundcard) is the reason. The "klick noice" you heard when the sound disapeared could be a telltale sign of a piece of hardware giving up on life.

Oh, and another ddesktop vs laptop-thing. Desktop is easier to fix on your own. If you are not a computersavvy yourself, invite a computergeek friend with the promise of cookies for fixing computer.

Thrawn183
2007-07-17, 04:26 PM
You name your computer!? Oh gods, your one of Those people!

Samiam303
2007-07-17, 04:59 PM
Oh, and another ddesktop vs laptop-thing. Desktop is easier to fix on your own. If you are not a computersavvy yourself, invite a computergeek friend with the promise of cookies for fixing computer.
The thing about that is, even if said computergeek knows how to repair laptops... it's WAY harder to get replacement parts for them than for a desktop. It's REALLY hard to repair any hardware related problems on a laptop beyond a failed CD drive or something like that.

Syka
2007-07-17, 05:39 PM
Hey, I only named it because it told me to!

So far the sound has held out. *crosses fingers* Last night when we were checking, all the drivers and hardware were registering as working. I'd say it was the speakers, but the headphones didn't work either.

*Grumbles* Still having issues with the spyware. I already have two different spyware-detection thingies (McAfee and Ad-Aware), and I should probably get a third.

Any recommendations? I've already heard about Spyboy Search and Destroy.

Cheers,
Syka

Yiel
2007-07-17, 05:52 PM

I name my computers, my car... yeah pretty much any electrical or mechanical device that could have a personality attached. :smallredface:

Syka, its hard to pin point the issue from a distance, but if you heard a "pop" sound I think its more likely a hardware issue than a software issue. If Stan is still under warranty, you should be able to send him to a Dell service centre to have the sound-card replaced. (Backup ALL your files first though onto media you will be keeping such as disk or an external HDD)

The advice to check for software problems is a good one though, which could sort out other lingering problems you may have. (Like that pop-up) Do you have all the disks that Stan came with? If so, I recommend backing up all your documents to disk or external HDD, then getting a tech-savvy friend to help you format stan and reinstall your operating system. (By documents I mean files such as assignments, photos, browser favourites etc. not programs.... I assume you have the installation disks for these) That should rid you of any nasty things hanging about and give Stan a new lease on life for the moment.... but wait until your sound dies again just in case as this can be a stressful process for people who haven't done it before. (May I recommend investing in a nice software firewall? They don't block everything, but can help cut down on spyware)

EDIT: In reply to your question Syka, I've found Spybot Search & Destroy to be quite good. (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) I think you have the trifector there now though. I can't recommend more sorry. :smallfrown:

Syka
2007-07-17, 06:33 PM
Thanks for that. :smallsmile: I'm running Spybot- SD as we speak (type?) and hopefully it'll rid my system of that pesky WinAntiVirus that keeps trying to get into my system. --' I've encountered that particular piece of spyware more than once.

Yah, if it happens again I'm going to troubleshoot via Dell or AOL again and if that doesn't work, I'm going to back everything up. There isn't much that is terribly vital though, other than maybe my novel (which sucked any way) and some funny chat logs.

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Syka

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-07-17, 07:13 PM

I don't know who "those" people are, but if naming my comp makes me one, then I guess I'm in their club. :smalltongue:

Syka, be VERY careful when dealing with Dell tech support on the phone. Their SECONDARY goal is to help you fix the problem. The PRIMARY goal is to keep a technician from needing to come to you to replace parts. And I know this because I was TOLD by a tech who replaced the mother board on my Dell about such nonsense.

Still, calling them gives me a chuckle from time to time. I honestly don't believe that when I reach them in India, and the person has an Indian accent, that his parents named him "Steve." :smallwink:

Jack Squat
2007-07-17, 07:21 PM
Still, calling them gives me a chuckle from time to time. I honestly don't believe that when I reach them in India, and the person has an Indian accent, that his parents named him "Steve." :smallwink:

aww...why do you get Steve? I was stuck with Andy :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

Syka
2007-07-17, 07:48 PM
*snicker* My mom has asked more than one Dell Rep what they're real name is.

"Your given name isn't Mary, right? What is it?"

She also now demands to speak with someone stateside...And we always get connected to someone in the states. ;) Trust me...In the two years I've had Stan, we have dealt with Dell Customer Service...A lot.

I was so tempted to ask "Do you know the difference between point zero zero two dollars and point zero zero two cents?" in homage to this (http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/index.html). Read the Initial Post and listen to the audio. It's good for a laugh. My having to call Dell happened not half an hour after reading that blog.

Cheers,
Syka